Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu. New download won't access wifi

Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply

brycrip

brycrip

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

I've been curious about the Ubuntu OS for some time and finally downloaded the current version alongside my Win 7.

I like what I see so far, but am unable to assess the wifi hot spot at my local cafe. (No internet at home) In the upper right hand corner of the desktop it tells me I'm disconnected.

I'm not computer savy and obviously not used to Ubuntu yet. In Win 7, I just click on the Internet Access icon and type in the password for the cafe. This doesn't seem to happen in Ubuntu.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Bry

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

follow this guide and let us know how you get on,

https://help.ubuntu....leshooting.html

:popcorn:

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Much thanks....

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Terry: There is a lot of information here and I'm reading it on Win 7. Is there a way in which I can transfer the information to Ubuntu so I don't have to go back and forth between Operating Systems? Use a memory stick, or something? I don't have a printer so will have to copy all the instructions in long hand. I'm sure you see the problem with that.

Once again, thinks so much for looking at this for me. I really want to dump Bill Gates!

Bry.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

personally i'd recommend connecting the laptop by wire to get on the net, that way you can download any needed drivers, follow instructions etc. etc without any hassles, otherwise you'll always be going back and forth to your windows pc trying to get things onto a usb stick before transferring them to the ubuntu laptop.

see if this video helps you easily get your wifi working. :-

Edited by terry1966, 06 May 2016 - 10:34 PM.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

That would be nice, but no wire. I live on a boat. Let me struggle on and I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks.... Bry

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Thank you, Terry, but I can't do this using the one computer. Give me a day or two and I'll try to borrow another computer so I can read the instructions in Win 7 and follow them up in Ubuntu.

Also, when I boot up, and have to choose the OS, I have Ubuntu listed twice: Windows 7... Ubuntu.... Ubuntu...

I'm not sure that's right. Is there a way to rid myself of the duplication? When I go to the Win 7 Control Panel and click Uninstall a Program, Ubuntu is only listed once. 

Bry

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

ok no idea why you have 2 ubuntu's listed in your bootloader but if it's listed in win 7 uninstall/install programs in windows then you must have installed a wubi version of ubuntu for at least one of the listings, personally i'd uninstall it and any other ubuntu installs you have and start again clean with just windows on the pc.

wubi is no longer supported by ubuntu and hasn't been since windows 8 came out so your probably running an older version of ubuntu instead of the latest and greatest.

it wouldn't surprise me if just installing the latest ubuntu version with it's more up to date kernel and drivers to the hard drive fixed your wifi problems too and everything just worked.

make sure to back up everything first in case something goes wrong and you need to put things back to how they are now

here's a link explaining everything about wubi :- https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

here's a link on where to download latest ubuntu :- http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

here's a link explaining how to install ubuntu (make sure you choose the install alongside windows option.) :- http://www.ubuntu.co...-ubuntu-desktop

in case you still need it after uninstalling everything ubuntu related here's a link explaining how to edit/delete options in the windows bootloader. :- http://www.sevenforu...ot-manager.html

Edited by terry1966, 09 May 2016 - 04:23 AM.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

You are absolutely right, Terry. I did start this whole scenario with a wubi download. And tried Lubuntu as well.

Ok. To go back to a clean slate... does uninstalling Ubuntu from the Win 7 Control Panel (Uninstall Programs) remove everything. Or is there something else required to purge Ubuntu from my system?

Bry

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

full uninstall instructions are in the wubi link.

how did you try lubuntu? was that just a live cd version or did you install it to the hard drive?

Advertisements

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

I downloaded to the hard drive but didn't like the word processing software that came with it. I write a lot and use Open Office on Windows. If I ever get Ubuntu up and running, I'll be replacing Libre first thing. Libre's not bad, but lacks a few features that my my life easier.

I'm on a Lenova ThinkPad 11e notebook, by the way. No CD drive.

Thanks,

bry

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Uninstalled Ubuntu from my Control Panel. I still get the Bootloader Page on start up but with "one" Ubuntu listed now, which will not open. Ubuntu is not listed in the Uninstall Program section of the Win Control Panel.

You think I should go ahead now and reinstall Ubuntu? Or fiddle some more and try to defeat the Bootloader Page?

My internet provider is very slow and it will take two to three hours for me download Ubuntu; and that's if the power doesn't go out! Life in the Third World, I'm afraid. Please bear with me.

Bry

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

first thing i'd do is delete the ubuntu option from the bootloader.

when the ubuntu iso is downloaded, in windows i'd probably use rufus :- https://rufus.akeo.ie/

to create a bootable usb flash drive to do the install with seeing how you have no optical drive.

absolutely nothing to do with your topic but just curious on where you live on a boat and what sort of boat is it? always liked the idea of living on a canal boat in the uk myself and why i asked.

Edited by terry1966, 09 May 2016 - 03:51 PM.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Hey Terry, I've always thought it would be fun to do the canals of Europe and spend winters in the Med. I love the Linnsen 32, made in Holland, but it's way outta my price range. I'm currently in Luperon, west of Puerto Plata, on the north coast of Dominican Republic, but have spent a lot of time in Central America: Honduras, Guatemala, Belize...

The sailboat is Australian, a Temptress 34, but I bought it in Canada back in '82. I lived aboard in the early nineties, and now again for the past seven years. It's a lot of work, giving up the comforts of life ashore, but it suits me fine. I love to be self-sufficient; feel like I'm beating the system!

Just now downloading a new version of Ubuntu, only three hours left to go! You seem to be suggesting that instead of installing it along side Win 7, that I should run it from a memory stick. Correct?

Not sure how to delete Ubuntu from the BootManager. I tried going to System Config but Ubuntu isn't listed in the Boot Menu so I can't delete it from there. That would have been too easy. So I'm trying to figure it out while waiting for my download. I got three hours!

Thanks,

Bry  

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Just now downloading a new version of Ubuntu, only three hours left to go! You seem to be suggesting that instead of installing it along side Win 7, that I should run it from a memory stick. Correct?

no not correct. once you have download ubuntu you then need to create a bootable dvd or usb flash stick with the iso file to actually do the install with, this is not like wubi and can not be installed from inside windows, so you either burn as an image to a blank dvd (which of course you can't do not having an optical drive) or create a bootable usb flash stick which really is your only option.

to do the install you will need to restart the pc and boot to the usb flash drive instead of your hard drive and the windows os, this will then offer you a menu of options from which you choose to do the install and install it alongside your windows os.

see if this guide helps you better :- https://builtvisible...allation-guide/

Not sure how to delete Ubuntu from the BootManager. I tried going to System Config but Ubuntu isn't listed in the Boot Menu so I can't delete it from there. That would have been too easy. So I'm trying to figure it out while waiting for my download. I got three hours!

i'd suggest option 2 as easiest :- http://www.sevenforu...ot-manager.html

bet there's loads of people envious of your freedom and lifestyle, living on a boat in that area of the world, i know i am, even though i get seasick and would be afraid of those tropical storms. :rofl:

Edited by terry1966, 10 May 2016 - 01:54 PM.