Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu. New download won't access wifi

Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Latest glitch with Ubuntu: it won't close. The only way I can get out of it is by using the computer power switch.

Advertisements

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

62% and counting.... 

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Lost it again. 82%... gone in an instant. I don't know what to do now. This was my third attempt. You have any ideas?

I'm thinking the slow download corrupted Ubuntu somehow, but at least it downloaded after five hours. Maybe go through it again? Start fresh with a new download? Or just give it up...

Very disappointed,

Bry  

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

sorry bry really not understanding how your losing the download file, even if the connection is lost at 82% the next time you open the downloads manager you should still just be able to click on the download file to resume and it should carry on from the 82% mark.

that's the whole point of using download managers.

once it completes and you have the full file it is easy to check whether it is a good or corrupted file by checking it's sha256 checksum. (i'll tell you how to do that when and if you ever get it downloaded.)

you downloading it when in windows or when in ubuntu? try using the other os to download it.

i really don't know what else i can say to help you to get the download.

:popcorn:

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

I'm downloading in Win7.

I got three days invested before it died. The message was "Network Error"

Oh, and you'll love this: Tried downloading Mint OS... 32 DAYS!

Bry

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

mint shouldn't take as long as suse to download because like ubuntu it is a live cd installer so only about 1.7GB in size compared to suses 4.7GB, what link did you use?

ok i just installed the downloadthemall add on for firefox and it seems to work fine for me and carries on from where it left off when i restart the pc or after a connection to internet is restored.

so tell me exactly what you do when you start downloading suse including what link you use and every step you take, including what you do when it fails at x%.

for me i clicked on the metalink option( any link will do, just that one is supposed to check the file after downloading against it's sha check sum.), firefox on linux asks want i want to do with the file,

open with konqueror

downthemall

save file

i choose downthemall.

next another box opens where i just click start, then another box opens giving a choice of metalinks to use, there's only 1 so i click start.

and it open a box showing the download progress and starts downloading the file.

i close the box and let it carry on downloading in the back ground.

if i disconnect or turn off the pc, next time i open firefox it automatically starts the download again, it didn't show me that it has though, so i needed to click on tools in firefox, there you will see the downloadthemall tools, mouse over it and click on manager, the downloadbox opens and you will see all the downloads it is downloading and the suse download has carried on from where it got to when i turned off my pc.

of course you using windows things might be slightly different.

Edited by terry1966, 20 July 2016 - 06:26 PM.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Presently have 65% of Mint downloaded with about 4 hours to go. I'm downloading from the University of Waterloo in Ont. Canada.

I'm using Torch as my browser. I've used Firefox in the past but they were always trying to improve it and wanted  me to upgrade every couple of weeks. Tiresome. And then I would have to reload programs to get them to work. And you know how slow downloads are for me. Torch seems like a no nonsense piece of business and has a built in download manager that works fine for my limited use.

When downloading Leap, I selected the download and set things in motion. After four hours, I opened the download menu to check progress and click the Pause button. The next morning I open the browser and click Resume. And let it go for another four hours. After two or three days, when I check the download, I find there has been a Network Error and everything has been lost.

When this happens, I go outside and kick a street-dog. Then I pack up and go home.

If I'm lucky enough to download Mint. I'll do nothing until I send you a screen shot of my partitions. I assume I will have to start in with Rufus again. Don't remember what we did back then but I do remember I had a lot of trouble with it.

Boy. What an exercise. On top of all this I keep getting pop-ups from Bill Gates wanting me to upgrade to Win 10. No thanks, Bill. Haven't heard anything good about Win 10.

Thank you and all best...

Bry

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Okay... After considerable effort on my part, (burp!) I have Mint downloaded on my desktop. Please confirm my instructions.

Thank you...

Bry 

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

post a screen shot of your current hard drive partitions,

delete the ubuntu partitions,

use rufus to put mints iso onto the usb stick.

boot the usb stick and do the install.

nothing to it. :D

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
Yeah you always say that. You ever hear of a jinx?

And "deleting the partition" doesn't help me. How do I select and delete?

Step by step, please... I don't want to screw this up.

Thank you,
Bry

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.png

Advertisements

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

And when I delete Ubuntu, it will leave an empty partition, right? Will Mint go in there automatically?

Bry

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Yeah you always say that. You ever hear of a jinx?

:P

Step by step, please... I don't want to screw this up.

can't give you a step by step until i see your current partition layout so i know which partition/s to delete.

this is how you delete a partition :- http://www.sevenforu...ume-delete.html

And when I delete Ubuntu, it will leave an empty partition, right? Will Mint go in there automatically?

it will leave unallocated space and yes that is where mint will want to install.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

I did sent a screen shot of my partitions page. Didn't it download?

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

can you see it in your earlier post? because i can't if you can.

try again. ;)

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts
I see it in post 145. Here I'll try again...SS2.png