Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu. New download won't access wifi

Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

I'll buy the 8GB stick, thanks. A bit of confusion about the video... The chap indicates that I should download Ubuntu (which I have done), but he makes no mention of installing it. Do I do that through Rufus? Or do I go ahead and install Ubuntu on my computer? (It's all in the details. So many times, these computer wizards only give you half the story.)

Let me get my memory stick and we'll try again.

Bry

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

what your doing with rufus is using it to create a bootable usb stick, which is then used to do the install of ubuntu.

so the process is :-

1:- use rufus to transfer the iso onto the 8gb usb stick in such a way that it is bootable. (just copying the iso to the usb stick will not work and why we use programs like rufus to do it.) about 2minutes 15 seconds into video.

2:- turn off laptop

3:- turn on laptop and keep tapping whatever key is needed (usually something like F12) to show boot devices/options

4:- select the usb drive and hit enter (if you don't select the correct boot device it will just boot into windows as normal.).

5:- if everything works correctly the laptop will boot to the ubuntu install menu and not windows, where you can then choose install ubuntu. steps 3+4+5 start from 3 minute mark in the video.

follow on screen instructions to do the install (make sure you choose the install alongside windows option, i can't stress how important this part is, because if you make the wrong selection here then you could end up losing the windows os on the laptop. and why i recommend everyone to make a complete drive backup image before attempting to make any major changes to their pc's like installing another os, that way they have the means to put the pc back to how it was before if a mistake is made or things go wrong for some reason.). the actual install process is not shown in the video.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 25 May 2016 - 12:37 PM.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Ahhh... clearer and clearer.  Though your comment, "why i recommend everyone to make a complete drive backup image before attempting to make any major changes" is enough to keep me awake at night!

Let me get the memory stick first and then we'll see.

And again, thank you so much for the time you are putting into this. It is much appreciated.

Bry

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

chances of anything going wrong are slim i'd say, i've installed loads of operating systems along side windows on loads of machines and never once had a problem BUT if the machines are not mine then i always backup everything before i work on them just in case something does go wrong.

with people who don't really understand what they are doing though the biggest mistake they can make is to delete partitions they shouldn't, (eg. restore partition.) and then install the new os over the top of their windows os thus losing the windows os and also the only way of re-installing it again easily.

everyone should have at least 1 full drive backup image (be that on dvd's or on a backup hard drive.) safely stored somewhere that can be used if the drive ever failed so they can install that image onto a new hard drive and have everything up and working again easily. they should also have full backups of any important data added since they made the drive image.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Ok... I started the operation with Rufus and was about half way home when I realized I hadn't seen an option to install Ubuntu alongside Win 7. I freaked and cancelled out. Where do I select "install alongside Win 7?"

Hope I haven't screwed up here...

(as usual  :prop: )

fBry

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Forged ahead....

Re-read your instructions. Really need two computers, here.... one to work on, one to read instructions.

I used the stick to install Ubuntu and followed along with heart in mouth :no: until I got to the "Installation type" window. I have to select between:

1572MB 388MB Windows 7 (Loader)

483918mb Unknown Windows 7 (Loader)

14614 11514 MB

I chickened out and bailed once again, hoping Win 7 was still in place. Thankfully it was.

What now Terry? I think I'm very close here.

Couple of other questions: Will I have to use the memory stick every time I use Ubuntu? And, after a few weeks and I feel comfortable with Ubuntu, can I easily ditch Bill Gates?

All best...

Bry. 

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

now you know why i always suggest making backups first. :rofl:

to be honest that looks like ubuntu found more than 1 bootloader and wants to know which to use (haven't installed ubuntu for years so don't remember the full process/options that need answering.), i'd "GUESS" the first option looks correct to me and is what i'd select, don't think choosing either loader will cause an unfixable problem though.

you only ever need the usb stick this once to do the install, after that you will get a choice of which os you want to use when you start the laptop, windows or ubuntu without the need of having it plugged in at all.

i wouldn't "ditch bill gates" and would leave the windows os on there unless you need the space and would just boot into ubuntu from now on anyway with windows there as a fallback os.

Where do I select "install alongside Win 7?"

as you found out by now, it's when you've booted the usb stick and chosen the install option.

Edited by terry1966, 28 May 2016 - 12:49 PM.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Thanks. My files are backed up but I don't think that's what you mean.

Windows 7 wasn't very happy with me when I got back to the boat yesterday. It booted up but the desktop colors were off and it looked different, sorta like it was in Safe Mode. I opened OpenOffice to write a letter. It ran for several minuets then I got a message the program was not responding. I could not shut down the computer and had to do a hard boot. On start up, it ran ScanDisc. It took about half an hour but things seem to be operating normally now.

Bry

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

was your laptop new to you but second hand? i'd wonder if the hard drive might be showing it's age if second hand because it sounds like a windows file was corrupted and the scandisc fixed the problem, but then the question is why the file got corrupted in the first place. i'd want to run a smart check on the hard drive just to see if it has any problems that might show up meaning it's in danger of failing.

to do a quick S.M.A.R.T. check without installing any third-party software, you can use a few commands included with Windows.  First, open a Command Prompt window.  (Press the Windows key, type Command Prompt, and press Enter.)

In the Command Prompt window, type the following commands, pressing Enter after each:

wmic

diskdrive get status

wmic-diskdrive-get-status.png

http://www.howtogeek...eSpeed=noscript

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Computer is brand new. And you shot ahead of my knowledge curve with Command Prompt window.

I just went through the process again. But it came up different. When I booted from my stick I got a window about a half page of cop on a black background. It starts:

. Free DOS kernel 2041 (built 2041 OEM: 0xfd) [compiled Feb 7 2012] 

and then goes into a bunch of stuff about copyright....

Any ideas?

Bry

Advertisements

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Ok. Here we go again: Was writing this post and the computer crashed. Never done that before.

Rufus put three files on my stick. I deleted them.

I downloaded a new copy of Rufus.

The results are the same. I get the page of copy as indicated above.

Help me out here, Terry... I can't believe it's this hard to run a OS. Do you use Ubuntu, or have you found something better?

A frustrated geeker...

Bry

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

i use opensuse with a kde desktop and have done for years, wouldn't say it's better or worse than ubuntu just different and suit's my needs perfectly.

does what your describing happen after you've selected install from the main menu because it sounds like the linux kernel being installed/loaded into memory before it can carry on with the install process.

bit worried about your pc crashing and the problems you've had when booting into windows, makes me wonder if there is an underlying hardware problem somewhere.

can you explain exactly in a step by step idiot version (because i'm an idiot.  :rofl: ) of what your doing and what you see at each stage during your install attempt.

also instead of trying to do the install, can you just run it as a live cd, think the option is first option which says try ubuntu without installing, that should take you to a desktop and then let me know if it runs ok ?

i'll download ubuntu and install it either in a vm or on another pc i have just to familiarise myself with the install process, but to be honest it should be straight forward process where you accept the default options after choosing install alongside windows, clicking next, next, next, etc. and entering a password when asked and also choosing where to install the bootloader because it found more than 1 location to put it. once it's done installing it will then tell you to restart the laptop and remove the usb stick, once it restarts you should be offered a menu on which os to boot windows or ubuntu, if you don't make a choice i think it will boot into windows as the default choice anyway after a few seconds...

how to open a command prompt in windows is to hold down the windows key (looks like a flag) and tap R this will then open a run box, in that box type cmd and hit ok and this will then open the black command window as shown in last post.

had a thought, because you've already run through most of the install process before and quit it, ubuntu may already be installed to your hard drive except for the boot loader, so can you go into windows partition management and either take a screenshot of what is shown and post it in next reply (preferred) or simply write down what partitions are shown, it might be a good idea to delete only the partitions ubuntu may have already created from last try at an install and leaving them as empty space ready to be used the next time you try installing ubuntu again,

http://www.howtogeek...eSpeed=noscript

Edited by terry1966, 29 May 2016 - 01:47 PM.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Thanks for the reply. There's a lot there and I need time to go through it. But here is where I'm at presently and I think verifies some of what you are saying.

I solved one problem but it just led to another, I'm afraid.

Rufus was installing Ubuntu in about 10 seconds. That didn't seem right and all I was getting was copyright information. My first run through with Rufus, took several minutes.

Then I noticed my memory stick had been renamed, Ubuntu. I changed it back to SanDisk, formatted it, downloaded a new Rufus and ran it like before. Now it took several minutes to install Ubuntu.

I thought I was home free!

Started following the onscreen instructions again and got to a page that gave these options:

Erase disk and install Ubuntu (Ahhh! No!)

Encrypt the new Ubuntu (????)

Use LVM with new Ubuntu installation (????????????)

Something else (now THAT I understand!)

Remember, I'm looking, as you suggested, for Install Ubuntu alongside Windows, so I clicked on “Something else.” This brings up the “Installation type” and the three options as listed in my previous post and I clicked on the first one, “1572MB 388MB Windows 7 (Loader)” though you thought it wouldn't make a difference.

Now I have a window that says, “No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the partitioning menu.” I have no idea what this means. I hit “quit” and got the Ubuntu desk top. I didn't screw with it, just shut down. But I guess that's progress.

Rebooted into Win 7 but didn't get the option to choose Ubuntu as OS.

I hope you can shed some light on this for me. I am completely lost now, and have no idea what to do next.

Thank you for your patience,

Bry

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

ok, i've downloaded ubuntu and created a new virtual pc on which i first installed windows 7 so i had a windows os that i could install ubuntu alongside.

then i installed the ubuntu os and everything went smoothly and worked first time, i got the choice of which os (ubuntu was default.) and had no problems booting into either the windows or ubuntu operating systems.

so no idea at the moment what is different for you. ie.

Started following the onscreen instructions again and got to a page that gave these options:

Erase disk and install Ubuntu (Ahhh! No!)

Encrypt the new Ubuntu (????)

Use LVM with new Ubuntu installation (????????????)

Something else (now THAT I understand!)

that's different to what i see during my install, and where the option to install alongside windows should be.

here's a complete install guide with images of what i get installing ubuntu-16.04-desktop-amd64.iso (if your not installing 64bit os and using 32bit let me know and i'll see if that is different but honestly i suggest everyone should be installing 64bit os with todays pc's.)

after booting ubuntu iso and it installing the kernel into memory, this is the very first thing i see.

snapshot1.png

so i left the language used to do the install set at english and clicked on the ( i clicked on try ubuntu option first just to see if it worked ok. before restarting the pc and starting from the beginning.) install ubuntu option, which then got me here :-

snapshot2.png

where i put the tick you see in the install 3rd party software option and clicked continue.

next as seen below is where you get the option of "install alongside windows 7" and it is already selected as the default choice.

snapshot3.png

next you see where ubuntu is going to install itself.

snapshot4.png

now a little explanation of exactly what that image means,

here is where you could change the location of where ubuntu is going to install itself if your pc had more than 1 hard drive but as things are seen here it's installing to the first hard drive "sda" and my "pc" has about a 25GB hard drive with windows using all 25GB presently but ubuntu is shrinking the partition windows is on and then creating a new 10GB partition on the hard drive to install itself on leaving windows alone on it's now 16GB partition. what you will see should be more or less the same but of course the sizes are going to be different depending on the size of your hard drive.

ok the defaults look fine and how i want things (most people would just leave things alone here but if you want to change the amount of space ubuntu is going to use, all you need to do is place your mouse in the gap between the 2 orange partitions, click and hold the left mouse key and then slide the partitions left or right until you have the partitions sizes you want.) so i didn't change anything and just clicked on the install now.

this pops up a warning box.

snapshot5.png

i want to continue, and another warning box shows up and is your last chance to back out before any changes are made to your pc.

snapshot6.png

i continue.

snapshot7.png

and select my time zone i want my pc to use then click continue.

snapshot8.png

select language and keyboard your going to use and click continue.

snapshot9.png

enter a user name and STRONG password, i also selected to log in automatically so i don't need to enter the password every time i boot into ubuntu and click continue.

below are some screenshots while it does the actual install until it's completed and you get to the last image.

snapshot10.png snapshot11.png snapshot12.png snapshot13.png

hit restart now and the pc will shut down (remove your usb stick now.) and it should start up to this.

snapshot14.png

here you can choose to boot into either ubuntu or windows as well as run tests on your memory just by using the up/down arrow keys to highlight your choice and then hitting the enter key to continue.

ok that's the install process,

so now i need to figure out why it's different for you some how and why your windows install doesn't seem to be seen by the ubuntu install here.

snapshot3.png

so you can choose the install along side option.

at what points during my install did you bail out before? maybe that's why things are different for you now.

as a last resort we can always do the install manually by choosing the other option but would mean me having a better understanding of your partition table so i don't accidentally tell you to delete or resize the wrong partitions.

do you know how to take a screenshot and add it to your reply?

i'll break this post off here before i lose everything while i re-read things and have a think while i await for your reply.

Edited by terry1966, 30 May 2016 - 06:25 PM.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Gosh Terry, that's a lot of work. Thank you...

Ok. Right off. I recognise the fist two windows you provided. But I don't get the third. My options at the third window are:

Erase disk and install Ubuntu

Encrypt the new Ubuntu

Use LVM with new Ubuntu installation

Something else

Are you using Rufus 2.9? I almost feel that Windows is blocking the installation of a second OS. I downloaded Ubuntu from the link you gave me, so that part must be right, I guess. (64 vs 32 bit)

In case it's important: here's my computer:

Lenovo ThinkPad 11e

Processor: AMD A4-6210 APU with AMD Radeon R3 Graphics 1.80GHz

RAM: 4GB

System: 64-bit

Yes, I've done a “Print Screen” before but not on this computer. And “Print Screen” isn't written on any of the damned keys! As if things aren't hard enough.

When I opened Rufus, I notice it has changed the name of my memory stick again: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS amd64 (D:) and there is a Rufus file on my desktop.

When I ran Rufus again, I got the copyright information as before. Do you want me to re-name the memory stick back to SanDisk and start again?

Can we take it one step at a time? What would you like me to do? One task only, please. I'm in over my head.

Bry

PS: The bartender here watches cartoons all day. I'm about ready to join him. :spoton: