Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu. New download won't access wifi

Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

PS: The bartender here watches cartoons all day. I'm about ready to join him.

:rofl:

ok lets clear something up straight away, rufus has nothing at all to do with the install process, all rufus is is a program to write iso's to usb sticks so they are bootable.

don't worry about the name ubuntu or scan disk that is just the volume label of the drive/partition and rufus probably changes it from scan disk to whatever iso it is writing to the usb stick, ubuntu in this case.

it's the ubuntu iso that is doing the install not rufus, so you can completely forget all about rufus once the iso is on the usb stick and the stick is bootable, if the disc was not bootable then the problem would probably be a bad iso image and not a rufus problem, but we don't need to go there because things boot and work just fine.

your in over your head? what about me then. :rofl:

ok 1 task at a time,

boot the usb stick and instead of choosing install option, click on the try ubuntu option.

when it gets to the desktop see if you can get on the internet with it.

if you can then we'll use that to take a screenshot of your hard drives partitions, which i'll tell you how to do in next post if needed.

one question, when you tried the install for the very first time do you remember if the install alongside windows option was there then, even though it is not there now?

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 02 June 2016 - 09:07 PM.

Advertisements

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

one question, when you tried the install for the very first time do you remember if the install alongside windows option was there then, even though it is not there now?

NO. have never been given that option.

Step by step:

My computer is turned off.

My memory stick is inserted in the port.

I turn the computer on and immediately start clinking F12 repeatably.

I get the boot menu and select SanDisk (that's what it is called in the menu, not Ubuntu) and hit enter.

The copyright information comes up immediately, as described in my previous post.

I can't shut the computer down normally.

I turn it off with the power button.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it :spoton:

And what's this about being in over your head. You're a GEEK [bleep] it!

Have a great day,

Bry 

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

so for some reason you no longer even get to the first options page to try or install ubuntu when booting the stick.

ok can you do what you did before and format the usb stick again and then use rufus to install the iso onto it so when you boot it, it again starts like it used to and offer you the try or install menu.

once it does start up and offer you those choices, hit the try ubuntu option.

and see if you can get onto the internet, don't try the install option again yet and also don't boot into windows with the stick connected at any time after you've created it, have a feeling windows might be corrupting it for some reason and why you need to keep re-making it.

i think the reason your not getting the install alongside windows option is because there must be 4 primary partitions (see note below.) on your hard drive already for some unknown reason, where i'd expect just 2 or maybe 3. 100Mb system partition, windows os partition and maybe a restore partition.

so what we'll need to do is see the partition layout and figure out what is what so we can work out the best next step, either re-arrange things and create an extended partition which will then allow us to have more than 4 partitions on the hard drive or converting the hard drive to gpt.

anyway once we have done that then i think you'll find the install alongside windows option will appear and everything will be plain sailing from there. (pun intended.  :rofl: )

note:- i won't bore you with partition limitations, mbr,gpt, etc. etc., but this link will explain things if you want to know more :- http://www.disk-part...d-gpt-1203.html

And what's this about being in over your head. You're a GEEK [bleep] it!

:rofl:

Edited by terry1966, 01 June 2016 - 05:10 PM.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Forged ahead....

Re-read your instructions. Really need two computers, here.... one to work on, one to read instructions.

I used the stick to install Ubuntu and followed along with heart in mouth :no: until I got to the "Installation type" window. I have to select between:

1572MB 388MB Windows 7 (Loader)

483918mb Unknown Windows 7 (Loader)

14614 11514 MB

I chickened out and bailed once again, hoping Win 7 was still in place. Thankfully it was.

What now Terry? I think I'm very close here.

Couple of other questions: Will I have to use the memory stick every time I use Ubuntu? And, after a few weeks and I feel comfortable with Ubuntu, can I easily ditch Bill Gates?

All best...

Bry. 

i've been testing and experimenting and re-reading topic and figured out the above is not what i originally said or guessed it was about but is in fact the partitions on your hard drive as seen by ubuntu.

still confuses me a little though but for different reasons now. (looks strange is probably a better way to say it than confuses me. :rofl: )

first is the windows 7 system reserved partition "1572MB 388MB Windows 7 (Loader)"

we won't touch this. (usually i'd expect this to only be about 100MB not 1.5GB in size)

second is windows os partition "483918mb Unknown Windows 7 (Loader)"

about 480GB and is what we'll shrink and install ubuntu on eventually. (i wouldn't expect to see a loader on this partition usually.)

3rd is probably a restore partition "14614 11514 MB"

so we won't touch that either. (about 14GB partition with about 11GB of data on and is the only partition that looks correct to what i'd expect.) 

i'm guessing the reason why ubuntu doesn't offer the install along side windows option is because it doesn't seem to know how much space is actually used on the 2nd partition where the os is installed for some reason.

so what i think we'll do is go into the windows os and resize the os partition there so we have some free space to install ubuntu on.

once we have some free space available i can show you how to manually install ubuntu (if the install alongside windows doesn't now show up.) without the worry of selecting a wrong partition and overwriting your windows os or corrupting any windows files by shrinking the partition during a manual ubuntu install.

so after creating the usb stick again and testing to see if it boots to the options of trying or installing ubuntu again, unplug it and put it to one side for now then boot into windows.

open disk management, (ways on how to do that here :- http://pcsupport.abo...-management.htm

it should look something like this.

snapshot15.png

can you post a screenshot of what your looks like in your next reply.

you can use the snipping tool if there is no print scrn button on your laptop. instructions here :- http://www.wikihow.c...se-Print-Screen

now right click in the c partition and it will open up this box.

snapshot16.png

click on the shrink volume, and after it has calculated the space you will get this.

snapshot17.png

please take a screenshot showing the shrink info and post in next reply.

don't do anything here yet just cancel out of it, once we know exactly how much space we can use, we can figure out how much space we actually do want to use for ubuntu, 1024MB is equal to 1GB (really 1000MB is equal to 1GB and 1024MiB is equal to 1GiB nowadays but not what i was taught many years ago so i still think of 1024MB as being 1GB.).

ps. just in case you missed one, i've made 2 posts since your last reply.

Edited by terry1966, 04 June 2016 - 09:58 AM.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Went through the process again; renaming and formatting the stick. It took about 5 minutes to install Ubuntu and it opened up fine when I pressed “Try” and not “Install”

I got the desk top. It has an icon to install Ubuntu, and a Win 7 icon, (didn't touch either). There is an icon in the upper right corner of the screen that looks like a little windscreen wiper. I think that has something to do with WIFI. Right? When I clicked on it I got:

Ethernet Network – grayed out

disconnected – grayed out

VPN Connections – clicked on it and get “Configure VPN” which leads me to a window: Ethernet Wired connection 1; add. (I didn't)

Enable Networking - which leads to “Disconnected”

and finally,

Edit Connections – which leads to “Ethernet Wired connection.”

No where do I see a place to enter a WIFI HotSpot password.

And while I'm going through this, the cursor is continually opening up the TRASH. (?)

So tell me; am I winning here?

Best,

Bry

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

don't have a wireless adapter handy to test with, and don't use ubuntu but if your wifi had drivers installed i'd expect it to show up somewhere.

so looks like even when we get ubuntu installed to your laptop we'll still need to find and install the correct drivers anyway before ubuntu will work with your wifi (should be easy enough when we know what wifi adaper you have.).

if you want we can install the distro i use ( https://software.opensuse.org/421/en), which i believe has more wifi drivers included to start with (of course it means another long download to get the iso.) so there's a good chance the wifi will work straight away (no guarantee though and on 2nd thoughts the extra wifi drivers may not be part of the install media but actually downloaded later because i'm usually connected to the internet by wire when i do my installs, so i think it's probably better to just continue with ubuntu for now..).

i'd still like to see the info i asked for in last post though regardless of which way you want to continue and we'd still want to create the empty space on your hard drive ready for any install.

And while I'm going through this, the cursor is continually opening up the TRASH. (?)

sounds weird, have you run any malware checks to make sure your windows os is not infected with anything that may be interfering with things?

do the online scan from here :- http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/

Edited by terry1966, 02 June 2016 - 09:03 PM.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Wow. This is a lot for me. Beginning to wonder if it's worth the time. I have work to do and I'm getting behind. I just wanted a simple OS that wasn't constantly demanding that I download this; or update that. I need excellent word processing and internet for research. And reliability, of course.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here.

Comments please,

Bry

Oh... and I found the PrtSc button on this thing. They hid it down in the lower right-hand corner of the keyboard. Never thought to look there! :spoton:  

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Terry; the link to isunshare isn't working

Bry

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

personally of course i say installing and using linux is most definitely worth the trouble, but if you think it's getting to a point where you don't want to carry on then that's fine.

Terry; the link to isunshare isn't working

don't know what that is but the way you add a screenshot to your replies is this.

when you have the screen up that you want to capture...click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload...
then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add to post like you normally would...

http://www.geekstogo...t-a-screenshot/

eg. after saving your screenshot, click more reply options bottom right, click browse, locate your picture, click ok and it will upload, then place your cursor on the line in the post you want the picture to appear, then click add to post and there it is.

snapshot32.png

that's a picture of 4 different linux distro's running in vms. mint, suse, ubuntu, zorin

Edited by terry1966, 03 June 2016 - 07:14 PM.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

No. The instructions to get to open disk management, (ways on how to do that here :- http://www.isunshare...indows-10.html)

The link doesn't work. I'll try online for info. Thanks,

Bry

Advertisements

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Terry. I have the screen shots you requested saved to my desk top but can't copy and paste them here. What gives?

Bry

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

in the box where you type your replies, at the bottom right next to the post button is a button for more reply options, click on that.

now on the bottom left there is a button to attach files, click on that.

a popup appears, now in that you need to navigate to where the picture file is and click on it, then click the open button in the popup.

this will upload the file to the site,

now at the bottom of the reply box you will see the file and next to it, you have add to post or delete.

if you click on the add to post it will be added to your reply where ever the cursor was when you clicked add to post.

if you don't bother clicking the add to post then all files you upload will just be added to the end of your reply when you click add reply.

to add more than 1 file just repeat the process, starting from clicking attach file button.

hope that made sense and works the same in windows with whatever browser your using. :rofl:

No. The instructions to get to open disk management, (ways on how to do that here :- http://www.isunshare...indows-10.html)

The link doesn't work. I'll try online for info. Thanks,

Bry

ok , was just a random link i found with a quick google search, and now changed it in original post to this one :-  http://pcsupport.abo...-management.htm

not that you need it now anyway. :D

Edited by terry1966, 04 June 2016 - 10:04 AM.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

[bleep]. I knew that...

Here are the attachments you asked for.

Thank you, Terry...

Bry

Attached Thumbnails

• ScreenShot1.png
  • ScreenShot2.png

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

ok you have lots of free space, so lets give ubuntu about 100GB,

so get to the 2nd screenshot and then enter 100,000 where it's highlighted in blue and currently says 222,293 then click on the shrink button.

this may take a bit of time but when it's finished you should see 4 partitions now where one says free space, you can now shutdown windows and reboot your laptop to the ubuntu usb stick and try the install again, with luck now you will see the install alongside windows option.

if you don't then we'll just have to do it manually and choose the something else option and from there now it should show an extra option than these 3

1572MB 388MB Windows 7 (Loader)

483918mb Unknown Windows 7 (Loader)

14614 11514 MB

and it will be the new choice that you'll want to click on, it will probably say something like "100000 free space" and then just carry on doing the install.

if it doesn't show you the install along side windows option though and you want a guide to read before attempting the something else option then just shut down the laptop, remove the usb stick and let me know then i'll create a step by step guide using the something else option for you to read first.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Thank you, Terry. I'm having a crazy day here with my current project. Give me a day to look at this. I think I should be able to manage it. l'll get back to you.

Bry