Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu. New download won't access wifi

Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Just for your information, I ran that Ubuntu upgrade you provided.

?? what ubuntu upgrade?

When you say dumping Ubuntu is easy, I get real scared. Everything so far was supposed to have been easy. And what a pain in the...  And what the heck is a distro?

:rofl:

a distro is short for linux distribution, eg. ubuntu, mint, leap are all "distro's"

Anyway. I understand I should delete the partition... how? And you prefer this to returning the computer to the factory settings.

I defer to your knowledge, of course, but I find it hard to believe that there is anything wrong with this computer. It is brand new and ran perfectly until I decided to screw around with a new OS.

ok if you never had problems before experimenting with ubuntu and don't think the laptop has any problems then yes go ahead and do a factory restore, i have no preferences and am only going by the info you provide, must admit i thought one of the reasons you wanted to use linux in the first place was because of the problems you were having in windows.

one thing i'm not sure on though is when you do a factory restore is if will delete the partition you created for ubuntu.

so you might want to delete that partition then resize the windows os to use that space again first (info and how to do that is in the link you used to learn how to resize a partition in the first place.)

i don't think it will make any difference to doing the actual factory restore so if you want to just go ahead and do it anyway without removing that partition, things should still be restored anyway except you may or may not still have that extra partition.

once you have done the restore don't try any other distro's and just use the windows os for a week or so just to see if it is now stable and doesn't crash.

after that we can then decide on what distro you'd like to try next if you still want to use linux.

:popcorn:

i guess everyone's idea of easy depends on their experience, you probably think sailing a boat is easy, (bet i wouldn't) where as i think making changes to a pc's partitions and installing an os is easy. :spoton:

Edited by terry1966, 21 June 2016 - 12:21 PM.

Advertisements

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Thanks Terry:

Did one pass of the Memory Test (no one told me you had to click F! to start it), Anyway, one pass and no problems detected. I'll run another pass tomorrow.

Thanks. And ask me that sailing question when I'm on the foredeck at three in the morning, changing down sails in twenty-foot seas. :D

Did they run the F1 (didn't I just say that?) yet.... hope you enjoyed the race.

Bry 

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

wasn't as good a race as i was expecting, especially after watching the gp2 support races, but yes i still enjoyed it, even though my 2 favourite drivers  (hamilton and alonso) didn't do well.

no one told me you had to click F! to start it

didn't know you needed to, it just started on it's own after a second when i tested it, f1 was for fail safe mode but i didn't need to use it.

if it made one clean pass then i really wouldn't worry about doing another run, i'd expect a bad stick to show errors on the first pass usually.

Thanks. And ask me that sailing question when I'm on the foredeck at three in the morning, changing down sails in twenty-foot seas.

20ft seas? your a fine weather sailor only then? :P

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Ok Terry... three passes of MemTest86. No errors found. I guess that's good news. I'll run the anti virus scans you recommended and get back to you on those results.

And just to clarify my thoughts on Windows. I'm just tired of Bill Gates stealing my life. I've been sitting in my little bar, working for five hours and just want to go home and relax. But oh no! “Don't turn off your computer. 24 updates are downloading. And so I wait and wait. Another half-hour goes by. Then it's “Don't turn off your computer. Windows is configuring your system.” After another 15 minutes, I finally get to go home. I fire up the computer after supper, on my battery now, and guess what: “Don't turn off you computer. Windows is configuring your system.” What! Again?

I'm really done with that crap.

Bry

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

ESET - not threats found

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Anti-Malware - no threats found.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

memory passed so i'd do the restore now. :spoton:

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

I'm going to do a System Restore to memory stick, first.... Wish me luck.

Bry

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

no idea what you mean by that, because you can not do a system restore to a usb stick.

a system restore is a windows feature that allows you to return the pc to a previous state while keeping your personal files. :- http://windows.micro...e#1TC=windows-7

a factory restore returns the pc/laptop to the same condition it was in when new, losing all your files.

either way both make changes to your hard drive and neither option restores to a usb stick, so i'm going to assume you meant your backing up your data to the usb stick before doing a restore of some type.

good luck. :D

Edited by terry1966, 26 June 2016 - 10:49 AM.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Must have got my terms mixed up. You know when you used to buy a computer and they provided a disc or two to reboot the computer if you lost the ability to start the computer normally. Now days, they want you to make your own. But with no disc drive, I hope put the information on a stick and hopefully boot from that if I have a problem. How's that? :D

Bry

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

that's a recovery disc/usb stick used when your os won't boot. :spoton:

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Your so smart. :D

It was the Ubuntu Updater, that I ran... post 69....

Be nice if we spoke the same language. 

Getting ready to make my stick "recovery disc" and then do the restore. As you suggest, I'll run Windows for a week and see about crashes. So take the week off. But I'll be back... I bet you're sorry you responded to my post.

Thanks Terry, talk with you soon....

Bry

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Your so smart.

i'd bet your as smart or smarter. ;)

I bet you're sorry you responded to my post.

not in the slightest, see you in a week. :spoton:

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Hit a snag already. Memory stick doesn't have enough GB's to make the recovery usb stick!

I'm beginning to think I can't win for losing.

This means another trip to the City... sorry for the delay.

Bry

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

to be honest i'm not 100% sure of what your doing but it sounds like your actually trying to save a system image to the usb and not creating a usb repair stick (an 8GB stick is more than large enough for a recover/repair stick i believe).

so sounds like you'll be better off buying an external hard drive. eg :- https://www.amazon.c...00gb hgst drive

to store your system image on, you can then also use it as another backup device for your data.

you will still need to make a repair/recovery usb stick also.

the recovery usb stick is used to load a small os into your laptops memory, which is then used to install the restore image stored on the external hard drive back onto the laptops hard drive.

so you need and have 2 things,

1 a usb system repair stick,

2 a system image of your hard drive stored on the external hd.

more info here :- http://www.howtogeek...ows-7-8-and-10/