Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ubuntu. New download won't access wifi

Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

No crashes of late and I use the computer three or four hours everyday in Win7, though Bill Gates is trying to upgrade me to Win10. I thought doing a factory reset would give me a clean start, but maybe not necessary. Tell me what you think on this. Files are already backed up so it isn't a hardship at this stage of the game.... but of course everything takes time.

First of all, dump Ubuntu.

Keep Win 7 (yuk!), for CAD and make Leap my primary OS.

Are you in line with all this? If so, walk me through it.

Bry

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

sounds good to me.

first spend the next few days downloading leap from here (just click on Direct Link, below where it says Download Method in the 4.7GB DVD box) :-  https://software.opensuse.org/421/en

when you've done that i'll want to see how your partitions are at the moment like in post 58 :- http://www.geekstogo...-4#entry2564974

we'll delete the ubuntu install partition.

remove ubuntu from the bootloader, same way as you said you'd done in post 19 :- http://www.geekstogo...-2#entry2562211

use rufus to put the leap iso onto your first usb stick and do the install.

with luck everything will go smoothly and you'll then have a dual boot laptop again and like using the leap os. :D

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 04 July 2016 - 01:42 PM.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Oh, let it be so...  :yes:

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Well Leap OS has been downloading for three hours now and indications are that it has another twelve hours to go.

Isn't there a “Light” version?

When I shut down, will it start up again where I left off?

I can't sit here for twelve hours.

Bry

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Isn't there a “Light” version?

no, the "light" versions are live iso's and suse doesn't make an official live iso any more.

When I shut down, will it start up again where I left off?

again no, you'll have to do the same as you did when you downloaded ubuntu a bit at a time.

that's why i told you to spend the next week downloading it, takes me 40 minutes to download it so knew it would take you ages. :D

it might be faster if you follow these instructions from the download page.

Many applications can verify the checksum of a download. To verify your download can be important as it verifies you really have got the ISO file you wanted to download and not some broken version. You could verify the file in the process of downloading. For example a checksum (SHA256) will be used automatically if you choose Metalink in the field above and use the add-on DownThemAll! in Firefox.

and add the downthemall addon to firefox and use the metalink instead of the directlink from the download page, that should also let you easily continue the download from where you left off each time too.
https://addons.mozil...on/downthemall/

Edited by terry1966, 09 July 2016 - 10:48 AM.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

I don't use firefox.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

When you said "spend the next few days downloading Leap" I thought you were kidding! :headscratch:

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Well about ten hours in and I lost it. I think we better start thinking about going back to Win 7. Life's too short.

Bry

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

ok. :spoton:

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

You seem happy with that! So just to ruin your day, I'm trying to download Leap one last time. :spoton:

Advertisements

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Wow! Almost got 4 hours before it crapped out.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

You seem happy with that!

no was just the first icon i saw with a thumbs up for ok whatever you want to do is fine by me thing. :rofl:

why aren't you using the same method as you used last time when you downloaded ubuntu or the one mentioned a few post above so the download carries on from where it left off without you having to start downloading it from the beginning again?

because i never have a problem downloading anything i've never used any download managers to continue a download from where it left off when it failed or had to be shutdown, but the firefox addon mentioned looks like it would do the job and be perfect in your situation.

if you don't use firefox i'm sure there will be other download managers available for whatever browser you do use.

that way even if you only have time to pop in for a single drink each day you can download a little of it at a time until it's fully downloaded.

Edited by terry1966, 12 July 2016 - 12:33 PM.

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Not doing anything different with this download. I does restart, sometimes. Right up till I'm down to the last few hours. Then I get Network Error and the finger from Bill Gates.

I started again this morning, and after a couple of hours, I have eight percent. Ubuntu wasn't this slow. And I know this is a Third World issue. It takes me about twenty minutes to read my email.

Bry

PS. You'd love it here!

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

to be honest if you only have 8% after all those hours downloading i don't think it's carrying on from where it left off and is starting a new download every single time.

think ubuntu was about 1.5GB and suse is about 3 times bigger at 4.7GB so should take 3 times longer to download not 10+ it seems to be taking.

PS. You'd love it here!

i'm sure i would.

sun, sand, beer and women, what more could anyone want. :D

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Internet service!