Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New/Used Computer Seems Slow (Resolved).

Slow start Sluggish Need checked out

Best Answer phillpower2 , 12 May 2016 - 01:22 AM

Have you located the Windows 7 product key on the chassis as explained by Ztruker and written down the MS Office product key and that of the Cyberlink software as was suggested by myself.... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

CompaqHP

CompaqHP

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Hi I recently bought this desktop computer. It is a dual core compaq presario running windows 7, 500GB HDD 2GB RAM, My plan is to upgrade the RAM but i was wanting to make sure there was nothing to major wrong with the PC before i started.. I have been using it for a week cleaning old files and putting Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes on it. I have installed Revo, Ccleaner and adblock plus because of adware that kept popping up. I have ran adwcleaner when i first plugged it in because this PC had 1700 toolbars which cleaned it up some, but still has some boogers in here that need more attention if someone would maby possibly look into this i would be much appreciated. 

BTW i updated the PC it had over 1000 updates when i got the computer, The person i got it from said that nobody had used this computer in a few years, so im assuming that is why it had so many updates needed?

Anymore info needed just let me know,

Thanks

Edited by CompaqHP, 05 May 2016 - 01:51 PM.

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

What about fresh installation of windows on this pc? Did you have windows cd? or Product key?

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Could be spyware? Then again probably a rotted OS.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

:welcome:   CompaqHP,

Can you post an expanded screenshot of Disk Manager for us please, see below;

1. Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.
2. Click on the System and Security link.
Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small iconsview of Control Panel, you won't see this link so just click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.
3. In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.
4. In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.
5. When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.
After a brief loading period, Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.
Note: If you don't see Disk Management listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of the Storage icon.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

CompaqHP

CompaqHP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Sorry.jpg I am not to sure that is what you were talking about? It does not seem to me this would help you with anything on my computer. It doesn't show anything or so it looks to me

Update im sorry i posted the picture you asked for. It has been a long day at work sorry for the misunderstanding 

Attached Thumbnails

• Device manager.jpg

Edited by CompaqHP, 06 May 2016 - 11:02 PM.

CompaqHP

CompaqHP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

What about fresh installation of windows on this pc? Did you have windows cd? or Product key?

No this computer came with nothing. I may be able to find the key with a product finder? Will wait to see what phill has to say thank you both by the way

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

I am not to sure that is what you were talking about? It does not seem to me this would help you with anything on my computer. It doesn't show anything or so it looks to me

The information in your first screenshot does help us, one of the main causes of a once speedy computer suddenly slowing down is a lack of free storage space on the HDD, your screenshot shows us that you have plenty of free storage space and so not the cause of the poor performance, it also shows the presence of a recovery partition on the HDD, if the computer originally shipped with Windows 7 and that is what is on the recovery partition you would have been better to use that to get rid of unwanted data on the HDD and start afresh.

Please post the exact model number for the Compaq Presario that you have so that we can check what OS was originally installed, I suspect that it could be Vista and the computer then upgraded to Windows 7.

Use the Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder (free) to get the product key foe Windows 7, write it down, keep it safe and share it with nobody.

CompaqHP

CompaqHP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

It is a Compaq Presario CQ5600F

I used the key finder and it found 3 keys

windows 7

microsoft office

cyberlink power starter

Not sure what the last thing is?

Edited by CompaqHP, 08 May 2016 - 01:02 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Specs here say that the computer shipped with Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) which if correct is good news.

If you are able to confirm the specs and are happy to do so you could use the recovery partition to take the HDD to out of the box new, be sure to also record the MS Office product key and that of the Cyberlink software if you ever intend to use it. 

Cyberlink power starter is a software bundled with the computer by HP, often referred to as bloatware.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

The key you get using a key finder is the VLK (Volume License Key) and can't be use to reinstall with. There should be a COA sticker on the computer somewhere with the key you need.

If you do as phillpower2 suggests and use the built -in recovery process to restore it to factory state then you don't need a key. Very important to get the other keys as first as described.

Advertisements

CompaqHP

CompaqHP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Is there anything else i could check before reinstalling the windows? Maby virus or some other kind of infection.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
✓  Best Answer

Have you located the Windows 7 product key on the chassis as explained by Ztruker and written down the MS Office product key and that of the Cyberlink software as was suggested by myself.

Is there anything else i could check before reinstalling the windows? Maby virus or some other kind of infection.

As the computer was not originally yours it would do no harm to check it out, please see the GTG malware redirection text below;

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

JAFYI: Some malware is so deep rooted that not even a fresh installation of the OS will clear it so if there is a malware problem you are always best to seek the help of the specially trained security experts.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Not heard back from you here or seen you post on the malware removal forums CompaqHP , do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

CompaqHP

CompaqHP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Im sorry work has been crazy. I will go read and post in the malware section. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

No worries, just checking that you were still around  :thumbsup:

Can edit your OP on the malware forum and include a link to this thread so that the security experts can see what has been done here, thanks and good luck.