Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with a very old laptop having problems with sp3

• Please log in to reply

evolutionpill

evolutionpill

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Good Day. Thanks to Geekstogo a couple of weeks ago i was brilliantly helped to clear my pc and installed SP3, however since then there are a few issues id like assistance with.

Right off the bat, I know this is a very very old home laptop(dell inspiron 700) so that in itself is a problem i am fully aware of. However the primary use of this PC is as my backup (1of2), basically all i need is to run a few basic programs and i use internet just for backing up e mails. My objective is to simply get it to a point where it can just run as a basic pc for my back up, or when i need to access old docs/pic/etc.

1. Since installing sp3, the PC is very slow (far slower then before, however first couple days ran fine), now takes 4-6 minutes to start up from when I log in. Switching between programs, looks like a falling curtain (and can take 45 sec to 1 min). On occasion I get a split second black screen.Overall the pc is just lagging slow in all that it does. Im wondering if this is just a clich or should i revert back to SP2? I have followed the geekstogo PC hardware maintenance and repair a few times and defrag (see point 3)

2. First thing that pops up when I log in is 2 "new hardware found" wizard. One is mass storage controller the other PCI modem (have no idea what these are), did try removing from device manager - unsuccessful
3. My C drive needs a defrag, I tried the inbuilt windows but with no success (however successful with the other drives on my pc), tried external one i downloaded also no success either.

I really would appreciate anyone trying help me out.

Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello evolutionpill,

Do not revert back to SP2, XP with SP3 installed is vulnerable to malware attack when connected to the internet but would be even more so without it and all other important security updates that are still available.

Mass storage controller could be your internal HDD or a USB thumb drive etc if one is plugged into the computer, the PCI modem is an internal device that you would typically connect an ethernet cable to, if not used try disabling the latter in the Device manager as opposed to uninstalling it else Windows will just detect it next boot and offer to reinstall it.

3. My C drive needs a defrag,

Not sure when last done but fwiw the average user does not need to defrag a HDD more than once every few months and by overdoing it the drive will actually become defragmented and subjected to unnecessary stress that will shorten the drives lifespan.

Couple of questions if I may;

What is the storage capacity of the HDD and how much free storage space is available on it.

How much RAM do you have.

What AV protection do you have running.

evolutionpill

evolutionpill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hi Phillpower2

Firstly thank you for reading and replying my post.

What u say makes perfect sense, and as I mentioned I know this is a very old...ancient pc, but it has been. Wry faithful and stable all these years, even when put to pasture as my back up. I'd like to get it back to a reasonably normal function. Prior to sp3 it ran well, 45 sec to start up and log in, now almost 4 minutes,nactually first few days after sp3 it did run well, that's why I'm not sure if it's a clich or solely because of sp3, as we did have trouble loading it's the first time, having to uninstall, loosing some dell drivers and then re installing.

Regarding the defrag, I did one after sp3, which was not successful in c drive,mother other drives it was. But it looks like it seriously needs a defrag.
Mans for the pop up I tried :
"Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > System > Device Manager > View > Show Hidden Devices.

The Hidden Devices are those that Windows has had connected in the past. They have yellow icons beside them. Identify the problem one, right-click on it, and select Uninstall."

Processor: Intel® Pentium® M processor 1.70GHz, x86
RAM: 494 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 20002 MB, Free - 7445 MB; D: Total - 29996 MB, Free - 5361 MB; E: Total - 29996 MB, Free - 2993 MB; F: Total - 34467 MB, Free - 3188
Antivirus: Panda Free Antivirus

I'd appreciate ur thoughts and thank you

evolutionpill

evolutionpill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Apology for the triple post, I may have been overly excited to keep pressing "Post"

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello evolutionpill,

Those specs are ok for running XP with SP3 but can I just ask if XP is the only thing on the C: drive/partition.

How long have you been running Panda on this machine.

I do have some remedial steps for you but can you do the following for us first please;

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

NB: No worries about the triple post, accidents happen but if you have something to add while waiting for us to reply to your last post please use the Edit tab.

evolutionpill

evolutionpill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hi Phillpower2

Noted about editing.

I use C drive only for all things related to the running of the PC, windows, and program files, and thats where I save all the downloaded program files too, I have no personal documents in c drive such as music, video, picture, docs.

I have installed panda about 2 years ago, i removed AVG as it was slowing down the pc, and selected panda randomly as the review said it was light for older machine.

Below the URL:
http://speccy.pirifo...glhYUGviquP4vlz

One side question before we start, over the weekend i was trying to load itunes, managed to install however problems within the program reading ipad, i had an online chat with apple, they said the program should be loaded and run as administrator profile. Now My SF in user account is the computer administration and I have always used this never used Administrator by itself, however when selecting run as administrator it asks p/w which i have no idea. So im confused since SF is the administrator. If there is a sole administrator and it requires a password i have no idea. I mention this in case ive been using this wrong an will need to insert the original cd to reload sole administrator function, and any changes we make will be affected and the already installed sp3 as the original cd is sp2. Ive add 2 pic in case ive not explained this well.

Again thank you for the assistance and advice

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello evolutionpill,

The Speccy report shows that you keep things in order but there are a couple of points that I will mention, some will affect the boot times, others will not.

You are low on free storage space on the E: and F: partitions, for data storage only it should never be allowed to drop below 10% else you risk data corruption.

Panda info acknowledged and agreed that it is not bad but would always use Avast free instead.

Please uninstall SmartDefrag, you do not need it and it will slow down your boot time, Iobit is one of those companies that offers to work wonders but does very little.

There are no Windows XP updates shown to be installed, not good if you are connecting to the internet.

You have Opera installed, if that is what you use ok but if you use IE it needs upgrading to IE 7.

The itunes problem needs to be put aside for now while we sort out the boot times but fwiw if a password has never been set up the password field should be left blank and only press Enter or on occasion the password is admin, depends on who set up the machine.

Lot of work for you to do now, no rush, do it in your own time and you only need to post back when all has been done or if you hit a snag, please see my canned text below which does contain some defrag info btw;

My first suggestion is to tidy up the data on your HDD so please follow the directions provided below starting with Autoruns http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.

2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".

3: Click on the "Everything" tab

4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.

5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.

6: Attach to your next reply.

http://www.afterdawn..._in_windows.cfm

2nd: Download and run TFC from http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=187 your computer should automatically re-boot on completion but if not do it manually.

3rd: Defrag your HDD http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/  a tidy drive is a faster drive, please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service at the link.

Couple of other things to consider are what size HDD do you have and how much free storage space is available, you should always have between 15 and 20% of the overall capacity available, do not have more than 1 AV program running as it causes slowness as the programs fight for control of system resources, this can lead to instability and/or crashes.

What AV do you use, some use a lot more system resources than others Norton and AVG are excellent but very demanding.

To speed up your boot times find any unnecessary programs linked to start up "how to" below;

START -> RUN

type MSCONFIG in the RUN box

then click OK

Click on the start-up TAB

Look at each line that has a check in the box, these are start-up items, with the exception of Windows programs and your AV software uncheck the ones you do not want to run at start-up.

evolutionpill

evolutionpill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Good day Phillpower2

Trust you are well.

1. It took me the best part of the afternoon but I now have all my drives above 15% (c=32%, D=17%, E= 19%, F=18%), I will continue to try get them above 20% as you suggested.

• Im happy to follow your recommendation and change to Avast, as mentioned I selected panda out of a list with no attachments to it as it said it was light for an old PC so I assume Avast is applicable for my system. I will uninstall and install avast.

• I have uninstalled smartdefrag and also programs that I dont use monthly.

• Regarding windows update, i assumed sp3 was the update but have read that there a number of updates, i shall do those when the system is up and running as i afraid trying to do those updates would further slow the PC

• Regarding Opera, I only just recently installed, I never use IE, prefer Firefox however it does hang at times - thinking it has to do with this pc - i read that opera is lighter program so I installed it but haven't really used it. What do u suggest Opera or Firefox for this PC?

• Itunes ill wait till we done, only reason I brought up wa in case i would have to use the original CD and it would mess anything we achieve here.

• Autoruns.  I was not sure which user to use as there was SS and NT authority/system.Im attaching both.

• I completes TCL as I had it on my pc and normally use it weekly.

• I completed defrag.. What a fantastic program, after it completed I check using Windows built in defrag and it said I did not need to defrag,mere as before it stayed I needed too, even after using smart defrag. SUPER thank you for that. C=8% was 18%, D=0%, E=0%, F=8% was 16%. The SMART file showed all green however in system health it showed over 1500 problems detected in registry errors .

• Regarding start up there are a few that are I not sure what to do with, such a ICO.exe, Itunes helper, I assume the Intel ones should stay. I am attaching a picture, which do I delete.

I must admit before I start following your posts, the pc run like her old self but then this afternoon she was slower then a snail, hence me thinking this is more a clich then anything else. I will let you know in the next reply how she is performing after following your directions and then working on the pc tomorrow.

Phillpower2, sincerely thank you for your well instructed assistance so far.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0510_1.jpg

Attached Files

Edited by evolutionpill, 10 May 2016 - 09:00 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello evolutionpill,

Just a quick post to let you know that I have dropped in, going through AutoRuns will take me some time so need to leave it until this afternoon when I finish work, hope it doesn't cause any problems for you.

evolutionpill

evolutionpill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hi phillpower2

Not at all, please I'm at ur discretion and in no rush. There has been some improvement. I've opened and run the pic three times today and the first time she ran fine and the last two times, was a little sluggish.

Again, I'm in no rush so when u can that will be great.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello evolutionpill,

Sorry but I dropped a clanger and post old canned instructions for AutoRuns, would it be possible for you to post a new log but selecting the "Hide Signed Microsoft Entries” option first.

Panda or Avast are both fine, Avast just happens to be my preferred free AV for pre Windows 8 OS such as XP etc

Smart defrag and other unused software uninstalled  :thumbsup:

All security updates previous to the release of SP3 will be included in SP3 but there were also many more released afterwards, with this in mind I suggest that you slipstream SP3 into XP, see the excellent tutorial written by Sneakycyber Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD

Never liked FF or used Opera and prefer Chrome to IE or new kid on the block in Windows 10 Edge, again it is personal preference and only really mentioned it because you had IE 6 instead of 7 and was therefore out of date.

Defrag, itunes and TFC info acknowledged  :thumbsup:

Anything related to Windows and your hardware should be left enabled, ico.exe for example is related to various mouse drivers, itunes helper should not be allowed to run on boot, it is not essential and can be run manually should you need to do so.

The SMART file showed all green however in system health it showed over 1500 problems detected in registry errors .

I will post some info for you once we have the new AutoRuns log, this to avoid overloading you with things to do.

You are welcome btw  :)

evolutionpill

evolutionpill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Evening Phillpower2

Attached the txt files, again im not sure if you want the SS or NT authority users, attaching both, the rest I will do in the morning. BTW I have installed avast successfully and uninstalled panda.

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello evolutionpill,

I think Ive got them all but lets see if after addressing the following things improve;

+ "iTunesHelper" "iTunesHelper" "Apple Inc." "c:\program files\itunes\ituneshelper.exe" "9/12/2015 5:35 PM" "" Disable this.
+ "7-Zip" "7-Zip Shell Extension" "Igor Pavlov" "c:\program files\7-zip\7-zip.dll" "12/31/2015 10:25 PM" "" Disable this.
+ "SmartDefragExtension" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\IObitSmartDefragExtension.dll" "" "" Delete this.
+ "IVBShlExt" "" "" "File not found: C:\Program Files\Photo!\Photo! Editor\IvBar\ivbshlext.dll" "" "" Disable this.
+ "IVBShlExt" "" "" "File not found: C:\Program Files\Photo!\Photo! Editor\IvBar\ivbshlext.dll" "" "" Disable this.
+ "7-Zip" "7-Zip Shell Extension" "Igor Pavlov" "c:\program files\7-zip\7-zip.dll" "12/31/2015 10:25 PM" "" Disable this.
+ "iMazingCopyHookHandler" "" "" "File not found: :/Program Files/DigiDNA/iMazing/ShellExtiMazingCopyHandler.DLL" "" "" Disable this.
+ "PDF Shell Extension" "PDF Shell Extension" "Adobe Systems, Inc." "c:\program files\common files\adobe\acrobat\activex\pdfshell.dll" Disable this.
+ "7-Zip" "7-Zip Shell Extension" "Igor Pavlov" "c:\program files\7-zip\7-zip.dll" "12/31/2015 10:25 PM" "" Disable this.
+ "SmartDefragExtension" "" "" "File not found: C:\WINDOWS\System32\IObitSmartDefragExtension.dll" "" "" Delete this.
+ "DriveLetterAccess" "Drive Letter Access Component" "Sonic Solutions" "c:\windows\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll" "6/1/2005 6:49 AM" ""
"Task Scheduler" "" "" "" "" "" Disable this.
+ "AppleSoftwareUpdate.job" "Apple Software Update" "Apple Inc." "c:\program files\apple software update\softwareupdate.exe" "8/27/2015 3:14 PM" "" Disable this.
+ "Auslogics BoostSpeed Scan and Repair.job" "" "" "File not found: TaskSchedulerHelper.dll" "" "" Disable this.
+ "Auslogics BoostSpeed Start BoostSpeed оn sf logon.job" "BoostSpeed" "Auslogics" "c:\programDisable this. files\auslogics\boostspeed\boostspeed.exe" "5/10/2016 3:58 PM" "" Disable this.
+ "Opera scheduled Autoupdate 1459085101.job" "Opera Internet Browser" "Opera Software" "c:\program files\opera\launcher.exe" "1/16/2016 9:21 AM" "" Disable this.
+ "SmartDefrag_Update.job" "" "" "File not found: C:\Program Files\IObit\Smart Defrag\AutoUpdate.exe /autorun.exe" "" "" Delete this.
+ "WpsNotifyTask_sf.job" "WPS Office Expansion tool" "Zhuhai Kingsoft Office Software Co.,Ltd" "c:\documents and settings\sf\local settings\application data\kingsoft\wps office\9.1.0.4746\wtoolex\wpsnotify.exe" "7/25/2014 12:03 AM" "" Disable this.
+ "WpsUpdateTask_sf.job" "WPS Office Expansion tool" "Zhuhai Kingsoft Office Software Co.,Ltd" "c:\documents and settings\sf\local settings\application data\kingsoft\wps office\9.1.0.4746\wtoolex\wpsupdate.exe" "3/2/2016 4:52 PM" "" Disable this.
+ "Apple Mobile Device" "Provides the interface to Apple mobile devices." "Apple Inc." "c:\program files\common files\apple\mobile device support\applemobiledeviceservice.exe" "2/13/2015 11:18 AM" "" Disable this.
+ "Bonjour Service" "Enables hardware devices and software services to automatically configure themselves on the network and advertise their presence." "Apple Inc." "c:\program files\bonjour\mdnsresponder.exe" "8/31/2011 1:40 PM" "" Disable this.
+ "HuaweiHiSuiteService.exe" "Service for runing HiSuite applications autorun." "" "File not found: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\HandSetService\HuaweiHiSuiteService.exe" "" "" Disable this.
+ "iPod Service" "iPod hardware management services" "Apple Inc." "c:\program files\ipod\bin\ipodservice.exe" "9/12/2015 5:35 PM" "" Disable this.
+ "speedfan" "SpeedFan x32 Driver" "Almico Software" "c:\windows\system32\speedfan.sys" "12/30/2012 4:59 AM" "" Disable this.
+ "Adobe Type Manager" "Windows NT OpenType/Type 1 Font Driver" "Adobe Systems Incorporated" "c:\windows\system32\atmfd.dll" "4/14/2008 8:09 AM" "" Disable this.
+ "AC3Filter" "" "" "File not found: C:\Program Files\Cucusoft\iPod to Computer\Filter\ac3filter.ax" "" "" Disable this.
+ "Axara Video Decoder" "mslvddsfilter2 ActiveX DLL" "Flash-Integro LLC" "c:\windows\system32\mslvddsfilter2.ax" "12/9/2014 5:20 PM" Disable this. ""
+ "MPEG4 Video Splitter" "" "" "File not found: C:\Program Files\Cucusoft\iPod to Computer\Filter\MP4Splitter.ax" "" "" Disable this.
+ "Video Out" "mslvvdsfilter2 ActiveX DLL" "Flash-Integro LLC" "c:\program files\common files\flashintegro\activex\mslvvdsfilter2.ax" Disable this.

evolutionpill

evolutionpill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hi Phillpower2

We are most definitely getting there, a huge improvement, the ol gal got her second wind and almost back to normal. A few points and follow ups.

1. Start up and log in is back to old self within 45 sec. Movement between programs greatly reduced from 4-5 minutes to within a few seconds, on few occasions still getting the curtain falling effect.

2. I have had it three times now over the past two days, when i log in it show no internet connectivity but then i press right click and repair and then its fine.

3. I still have the two pop up windows for Mass storage and PCI modem.How to delete

4. Startup. I removed ICO and itunes helper. I noticed that I have 2 wltray.exe is this normal? Also there is one line marked but there is no name (pic attached).

5. I will attempt to do the Slipstream today- need to see if i can buy a CD and see if my pc CD still works.

6. Regarding Web browser. Chrome would be good, however since im an expat in china, anything related to google is all but impossible to use ( the great firewall - side note- even GTG takes ages to open thats why i do all my post via ipad as it has VPN) and i agree firefox does give problems.Between IE and FF ( I assume new kid...windows 10 edge need windows 10) which would you recommend?

7. Completed auto run command. By disable I assumed you mean deselect the tick. I saw a number of not found should I delete those or just leave?

Again thank you for your time. Await your response at your leisure.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello evolutionpill,

Pleased to hear that you can see some improvement  :thumbsup:

2. I have had it three times now over the past two days, when i log in it show no internet connectivity but then i press right click and repair and then its fine.

Not sure what is going on here as we have not gone near anything related to connectivity other than bonjour which is apple related and not needed to run on start up, not sure how you uninstalled Panda but if not done already give the Panda generic uninstaller a try just in case any traces are left, see here

3. I still have the two pop up windows for Mass storage and PCI modem.How to delete

Will look at this once you are happy with the performance issue/s.

The two wltray.exe entries are most likely one for Broadcom and one for Dell, you have both brands listed in your Speccy log.

Slipstreaming SP3 is the way forward as it will not only allow for a more complete fresh installation should you ever wish to do so but also have the disc to hand should you need to do a Repair Installation of the present OS.

I would recommend FF over IE as the latter is vulnerable, you will most likely find that FF will be ok now that you have SP3 installed, see article here

To disable an item in AutoRuns you deselect the tick box, as you thought.

I saw a number of not found should I delete those or just leave?

Please leave them for now and copy/paste what they are into your next reply for us, they may be dormant in AutoRuns but active at some later point.

You are welcome btw  :)