Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Windows 8 question please help

• Please log in to reply

Zedertone

Zedertone

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So I'm building a computer and I'm wondering, is there anyway to get Windows 8 on a brand new computer just built without a CD? And if there is , what is it? Because everytime I try to find a CD there's just keys for it, and the CD I guess on the website is so expensive ..? Please help..

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi Zedertone, If you are building a brand new computer then you will need an operating system.

If you choose to use Windows 8 or any other version of Windows you will need to buy it, to ensure that you receive a properly licenced version.

If you are looking for an inexpensive or free operating system then Linux offers many distributions, the majority of which are downloadable free of charge and that come properly licenced

Regards

paws

Zedertone

Zedertone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No my question was is there any way to get the operating system on without having to use a literal CD :/ I know ofc I'll need an operating system cmon man lol

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

I'm sorry, I'm not really understanding your questions properly... maybe the following will help

1 Yes you can install windows 8 from DVD ( you can download the .iso from Microsoft and burn your own DVD install disc if you want...

2 You can do the same but download it and create a bootable USB memory stick and install from that

These are two of the most common methods of installing.... (but of course you will need your product licence key)

Hope this helps

Regards

paws

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

You'll need to buy a key though. It sounds like you don't have one

Because everytime I try to find a CD there's just keys for it, and the CD I guess on the website is so expensive ..?

If you have or buy a Windows 8 or 8.1 key then you can use the Windows 8 Media Creation Tool to download a ISO image of what ever version of Windows 8/8.1 you have the key for. You will only be able to get Windows 8.1 as Microsoft no longer provides Windows 8 images but tthat doesn't matter since a Windows 8 key cna be used to install Windows 8.1.

See here: Create installation media for Windows 8.1

As paws said, you can then use the iso to create a DVD or flash drive to install Windows 8.1 with. Once done, you could then do the free upgrade to Windows 10 which I recommend. Free upgrade offer ends July 29 2016.