Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VMX Software on Windows 7 vs Windows XP Why need VMWare Player?

• Please log in to reply

oddjobs2do

oddjobs2do

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I have software with the VMX extension. In Windows 7 I had to run VMware 12 Workstation Player (free for non-commercial use).  Is there any way to just run it on the Windows 7 without this odd sorta virtual whatever? Obviously I have no clue what a virtual machine is except maybe that it is acting like the “host” has Windows XP to be able to run for some reason. Why can’t the software (it is automotive repair software) run with a reader like adobe? What other options are there besides this VMware? It is time consuming saving the print as pdf’s to the virtual machine window (looks like XP document tree/path), then having to drag it across one at a time to the actual desktop on Windows 7.

The program appears to run as if it is in XP on the Windows 7. I don’t understand why it opens as if it is XP, so this leads to the last question. Can I use an Windows XP computer to run it, by installing the software on the XP computer, and simply by clicking the shortcut to the software or does XP still need some kind of VmWare player?

Also related to some of the images, what is all the DOS looking stuff when you click on the link?  I'm obviously confused.

Thanks,

Doug

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture 1.JPG
  • Capture 0.JPG

Edited by oddjobs2do, 09 May 2016 - 11:30 AM.

Advertisements

rainyXP

rainyXP

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

I'm not too sure what you're asking so correct me if I'm wrong here. By the look of it you've got a strange version of VMware workstation. Pretty sure VMWare Workstation looks more like this:

vmw-scrnsht-overview_ws12plyr-strmlned-v

Why not use VirtualBox, it's pretty much the same software except it's free!