Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing the Radiator and Fan HELP (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

SkyXero

SkyXero

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

When I watch build logs and cooler reviews/overviews I tend to wonder why they would set it up like they do. On one side the spectrum we have someone installing it with the fans on the grill with the radiator closer inside, and then someone who has the radiator on the grill and the fans closer inside. What's the difference? Is one side better than the other? Why do they install the fans on the grill rather than the radiator?

This is a configuration I plan to do : http://imgur.com/mcAs2yIIf there is any change you can make I will highly appreciate it

Edited by SkyXero, 10 May 2016 - 03:22 PM.

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

sorry your link doesn't work for me so can't see how you plan to set yours up, but to answer your question it doesn't really make that much of a difference whether the fan is pulling or pushing air through the radiator from the inside to the outside of the case, same as it doesn't make much difference between pulling or pushing the air through the radiator from outside to the inside of the case.

other things play a factor in how you might choose to set things up, like case design, rad size, whether you want negative or positive air pressure in the case, etc. etc.

yes you might get slightly lower cpu temps drawing air from outside to inside the case but then you are also increasing the heat inside the case, which might effect other things like the motherboard temps depending on what other case fans you have.

personally i try and have the air flowing from inside through the rad to outside of the case with an extra case fan or 2 blowing air into the case for positive air pressure to help lessen dust build up inside the case.

just remember there really is no wrong way to do things as long as the case/ motherboard temps don't get to high, usually the cpu temp differences are negligible so i really wouldn't worry about it just as long as you don't have any problems elsewhere.

:popcorn:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

This article may be helpful, note, it does not test Rad installed at the top, > http://www.hardwares...d-cooling-fans/

As terry mentioned other factors, mostly it will be how the airflow effects the GPU temps.