Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Memory upgrade bios

• Please log in to reply

Tommyburns

Tommyburns

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I upgraded my memory . Installed the card and my pc shows the extra 512mb off ram . How do i check the bios ?

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
when you first boot the PC (actually works best on a restart, since the monitor is warmed up and displaying), it will tell you what the BIOS is, then say press ___ key to enter BIOS (or setup). it is commonly the del, F1, or F2 key, but could be anything.

are you looking to see if the memory settings are correct? is something not working properly?

Tommyburns

Tommyburns

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yes im looking to see if the memory settings are correct . I thought i would get a greater increase in speed when running multiple programs after adding the extra memory , also it just seemed to easy to just put the card in and then start it up . Is it easy to set the bios ? and what settings should i set it to ? sorry i dont know much about this

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
no worries, happy to help out.
when you get into BIOS, look for the ram settings. it is most likely set to "by spd" which means the mobo (motherboard) reads what the ram speed settings are, and sets them automatically. this is the best way to go, unless you are trying to overclock or tighten the timings considerably. not really recommended unless you know what you are doing.
if you list your mobo info (should be printed on the board, with make/model, and revision number) then we can look up the manual, and you can check every setting if you like. it can be a good way to learn more about the system.