Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Utorrent Mouse Click Sounds

utorrent malware

• Please log in to reply

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Thank you. When I click on Properties as per your instructions, no Power Management can be seen: there's just a General tab with Network Adapters inside....

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Find your network adapter under Network Adapters.  Speccy says it's the Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

Right click on it and select Properties.  If it doesn't have a Power Management tab then look under the Advanced Tab.

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Thank you. It was already unchecked but what was checked was underneath: 'Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer'. So I unchecked it. Am left pondering what on earth could be meant by a magic packet?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Wake-on-LAN

daba

daba

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

RK, thanks but I'm no wiser really. Do you mean to imply that some other computer is remotely accessing? Sorry, I don't speak your lingo. Can just about wire a plug and that's it. May I share the latest sitrep? I use Astrill VPN here in China, in the past few days it's been playing up; low throughput speeds so I contacted their tech. In the end they decided there was a conflict with Avira, the antivirus I use. So the advice was uninstall Astrill and Avira, reupload both. During this procedure at one point I was asked to make an exception in the Firewall for Astrill. They were instructing me to uncheck some boxes. One of those did indeed uncheck but the rest stayed put, no unchecking. They said it's because I wasn't the Administrator yet when I click on User Accounts, it's just me, marked clearly as the Administrator. I can tell you that after 12 years in China, I'm already paranoid, the CPC are devious and don't respect boundaries so I thought I'd just ask, if you don't mind, if you could give me your two cents on what you think explains the inability to uncheck the Firewall Settings. Thank you very much. Regarding the waking issue, I just Shutdown at night except for those times when due to tiredness I forget, in which case I'm faithfully met with an on computer in the morning (internet cable pulled out of course).