Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

acer aspire e 15 start dvd drive (Resolved).

* * * - - 1 votes

Best Answer Rich Flournoy , 19 May 2016 - 09:39 PM

i believe im going to have to replace the drive because i tried it tonight and it would not play or eject so i had to take it apart to get the disc out thank you for all your help Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Rich Flournoy

Rich Flournoy

• Pip
  • 5 posts

i have an acer aspire e 15 start laptop and am having problems with the DVD drive.  I put a DVD in and sometimes it plays it and some times it doesn't. i have cleaned the track for the eye with alcohol. i have disabled and uninstalled it through the device mgr sometimes that works but most of the time it doesn't. any suggestions on a fix?

im running win 10 saw on another post to use fixit but win 10 not supported

Edited by Rich Flournoy, 15 May 2016 - 07:24 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

:welcome:   Rich Flournoy,

No way to say for sure but two possibilities come to mind, a flaky lens and a poor contact between the drive and the port on the MB.

Couple of questions if I may;

When you say "sometimes it plays it and some times it doesn't." what exactly happens as in does the drive not even detect the disc or does it read the disc but thre is no audio output etc.

Does it happen with both burned media and shop purchased media such as games, music and video discs.

Have you tried burning discs using the drive.

Rich Flournoy

Rich Flournoy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

sorry it takes me a while to respond im a trucker. no when it doesnt play it just spins like its searching or anywhere from a few seconds to 20 min then stops. i dont have any blank disc's to burn to. but have tried changing disc's and sometimes it will play the next disc then it will play the first one if i change back to it. 

Edited by Rich Flournoy, 18 May 2016 - 10:44 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

No worries we understand that you have other things to attend to and thank you for taking time out to get back to us.

no when it doesnt play it just spins like its searching or anywhere from a few seconds to 20 min then stops.

It does sound more like a lens problem as the drive is clearly getting power but not able to read data, if it were a driver issue the drive would never play at all.

Does it happen with both burned media and shop purchased media such as games, music and video discs.

Can you answer this for us please, odd as may sound but optical drives can be picky and will play one brand of disc but not another and in the case of burned discs some will not play media that has been burned too fast (X4 or above) the latter can be ruled out if none of your discs are burned copies and would again point towards a flaky drive/lens.

NB: In case you are not aware, it is possible for a bad DVD RW to still burn media but not be able to read it, this because a different laser within the drive is used for writing the data to the disc.

Rich Flournoy

Rich Flournoy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

thats correct none of my disc's are burned 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Hello Rich Flournoy,

From your OP;

I put a DVD in and sometimes it plays it and some times it doesn't.

Will the drive read/play music CDs at all

Also from your OP;

im running win 10 

Has the computer been upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

The reason why I have asked the above is because if it has unless you have Windows 8/8.1/10 Pro or above Windows Media Player 12 will no longer play any type of DVD movie, being an OEM/brand name computer it most likely had a third party media player on it such as one from Cyberlink which after upgrading to Windows 10 is no longer installed.

Rich Flournoy

Rich Flournoy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

yes it is upgraded to win 10 from win 8  and it does have cyberlink on it had to update and reinstall it to get it to work.  i also dont own any audio cd's to check have xm radio for my music 

Rich Flournoy

Rich Flournoy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
✓  Best Answer

i believe im going to have to replace the drive because i tried it tonight and it would not play or eject so i had to take it apart to get the disc out thank you for all your help

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Sorry that your update is not better news  :(

You are most welcome and thank you for the follow up Rich Flournoy  :thumbsup: