Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing new SSD (Resolved)

Best Answer johnb69 , 12 February 2017 - 12:15 PM

Hi Guys, I've been using the PC for a while now and all seems to be running OK. I can't thank you guys enough for all the help you've given me, especially iammykyl for the help and patien... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts

Hi John,

How to Change the Boot Sequence in the BIOS

Advertisements

johnb69

johnb69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Hi phillpower2,

In the Boot sequence I have:

1. Onboard or USB Floppy drive    (not present)

2. Onboard SATA Hard drive

3. Onboard IDE hard drive      (not present)

4. Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive

5. USB Device    (not present)

Am I choosing No2?

Thanks

John

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts

Hi John,

It would appear so, your MB was probably made during the transition from IDE to SATA when MBs shipped with both to avoid masses of people finding themselves with obsolete hardware overnight, try; 

1. Onboard SATA Hard drive

2. Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive

johnb69

johnb69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

IMG_1544.JPG

Hi phillpower2,

I tried booting into safe mode with command prompt but the screen just came up with this screen (attached pics), stayed for about 5 secs, wouldn't let me type anything then went back to the blue screen.

Thanks

John

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday all,

Following along.   Your user manual may come in hardy, link should open at Bios Setup, > http://www.manualsli...page=106#manual

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts

Looks like the computer may not be booting due to drivers missing but not 100% certain I`m afraid  :(

Can you go into the BIOS and make sure that  AHCI mode is not enabled and that IDE mode is.  

johnb69

johnb69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Would this be in the boot sequence section of the BIOS?

Thanks

John

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts

Do you have an integrated Peripherals option in the BIOS.

Something that you may want to try is disconnecting the SSD and reconnecting the stock HDD to see if that boots ok, reason why I am suggesting this is because the data (including the hardware drivers) on the SSD is cloned from the HDD and there may be certain drivers missing that an SSD requires, possibly not this though as the computer has successfully booted up previously.

johnb69

johnb69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Hi phillpower2,

Sorry for the long delay, been working crazy hours!

I can't see an integrated Peripherals option in the BIOS.

I took out the SSD and reconnected the HDD and it booted up OK!! Slow but OK.

Thanks

John

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts

No worries John, we understand that you have other things to attend to  :thumbsup:

We may need to do a bit of juggling with this I`m afraid, as the computer boots to the HDD I suggest that you install any Dell driver updates for the chipset and the HDD etc, use the Dell driver tool here

Connect the SSD to one of the SATA ports, restart and grab an expanded screenshot of Disk Manager for us;

Go to Start-Run and enter "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) expand the Window so that we can see all of the info on each device, then grab a screenshot for us;

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Advertisements

johnb69

johnb69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

phillpower2,

Updated everything I think.

Connected the SSD to the SATA port , restarted and done the screenshot thing (attached).

Not sure if it's showing up at all.

Thanks

John

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot 1.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts

The screenshot shows that the SSD is not being detected  :(

I was hoping that you would be able to copy all of the Dell drivers from the HDD over to the SSD.

johnb69

johnb69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Thanks for all your help phillpower2.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts

The specs that I can find for the MB that shipped with the Dell Dimension 5100 show that it only has two SATA ports and identified as SATA 0 which should be blue and SATA 2 which is black, is this the same as yours.

If the MB is a match, the boot drive should be connected to the blue SATA port 0 but can you try connecting the HDD to SATA port 2 leaving SATA 0 empty and see if the computer will boot, this to see if the SATA port itself is ok.

You are welcome btw  :)

johnb69

johnb69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

This is the same as mine.

Tried what you suggested and it came up Drive 0 not found.

Hit F1 and got no boot device available.

Took a pic of screen  :D (attached)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1578.JPG