Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing new SSD (Resolved)

Best Answer johnb69 , 12 February 2017 - 12:15 PM

Hi Guys, I've been using the PC for a while now and all seems to be running OK. I can't thank you guys enough for all the help you've given me, especially iammykyl for the help and patien... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

johnb69

johnb69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Screen after F1

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1579.JPG

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thought that would be the outcome but it was worth checking.

If you go into the BIOS is there an option called combination.

Running out of ideas here and at the point where I wish I had the computer to hand, do you have an XP or Dell recovery disk.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

If you go into the BIOS is there an option called combination.

Available options, incuding this, > Combination – combination mode, which offers compatibility with versions of the operating system that do not support SATA drives/

User Manual, > http://www.manualsli...page=108#manual

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thanks iammykyl  :)  :thumbsup:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup: .   Wish I could offer more.  Perhaps cloning the SSD then rebooting, the MBR is incorrect, especially if both © drives were present. 

johnb69

johnb69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

I went into BIOS and switched the SATA 0 port to on and it booted after that.

What is the MBR?

Would it be worth wiping the SSD and trying it all again? Could it maybe be a faulty SSD?

Thanks guys

John

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
I went into BIOS and switched the SATA 0 port to on and it booted after that.

From which device did it boot, the SSD or the HDD and did you select the combination option.

Would it be worth wiping the SSD and trying it all again? Could it maybe be a faulty SSD?

Depends on the answer to the questions asked above, XP does not have any native SATA drivers and the only way to introduce them would be to slipstream them into XP, this involves a fair bit of work.

johnb69

johnb69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

It booted from the HDD. I just put the SATA 0 port from OFF to ON.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Do you have the "combination" option available in your BIOS as detailed on page 108 of the link here post earlier by iammykyl;

Combination – combination mode, which offers compatibility with versionsof the operating system that do not support SATA drives

If you do have this option, select it, save the new settings, shutdown and disconnect the power etc, disconnect the HDD, connect the SSD to the blue SATA port 0 and test.

johnb69

johnb69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Hi phillpower2,

I selected combination, shut down,changed to the SSD and started up. 

It took me to the screen in post #30. I hit F1 and it eventually took me to the blue screen in post #7.

Thanks

John

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello John,

I suspect that Windows is corrupt but did you try any of the options offered, Safe Mode with Networking for example.

I asked back in reply #32 do you have an XP or Dell recovery disk, can you let us know please.

johnb69

johnb69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Hi phillpower2,

Tried the safe mode with networking before but nothing doing.

Tried it again tonight but just took me back to the blue screen.

I have attached photos of the disks I got when I bought the PC from Dell. Hope you can see them OK.

Thanks

John

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1583.JPG

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I don't wish to rain on the parade, but there will still be issues installing XP on the SSD as there is no native support for TRIM.

It might be worth trying the about Reg edit in this article, How to Enable AHCI, to see if we can get the SSD to Boot, before a fresh install.

https://www.partitio...e-from-ssd.html

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello folks,

No Dell reinstallation disk there so there is a good chance that the unknown 3GB partition in your reply #26 screenshot is a recovery partition, if you cloned the whole drive to the SSD, with the SSD connected to SATA port 0, restart the computer, when the Dell BIOS splash screen appears press and hold the <Ctrl> key on the keyboard, press the <F11> key, then release them both at the same time, let us know what if anything happens, just wanting to check this for now and not suggesting that you use the recovery partition if available, you may have had the necessary drivers for an SSD already installed along the way on the C: drive but I doubt that they would be present on any original recovery partition.

Some info on the Dell recovery partition here

Edit to add, couple of suggestions courtesy of iammykyl  :thumbsup:

Take a look at the Dell Driver CD to see if any AHCI Drivers are present.

Try resetting the BIOS by removing the MBs CMOS battery while the SSD and HDD are both disconnected from the board, connect only the SSD to SATA port 0 on the MB and test.

johnb69

johnb69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Hi phillpower2,

Apologies for delay, work again!

I tried the <Ctrl> F11 keys and got the attached photo screen (first photo, 1595).

I looked at the dell disk but no AHCI drivers listed.

Took out the battery and booted with the SSD and got the attached photo screen (second photo, 1596)

Thanks
John

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1595.JPG
  • IMG_1596.JPG