Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing new SSD (Resolved)

Best Answer johnb69 , 12 February 2017 - 12:15 PM

Hi Guys, I've been using the PC for a while now and all seems to be running OK. I can't thank you guys enough for all the help you've given me, especially iammykyl for the help and patien... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday John.   now we're cooking.

Please read this How To.   We will not be using  the instruction above, "This is the Command Prompt window." > http://knowledge.sea...US/FAQ/005929en

Your Disk Management screenshot show (C:) Disk, 145.95 GB as the one you are presently running from.   This is the original HDD.

(E:) Disk, 218.98 GB is the SSD.

You can type all commands in lower case.   Please do the following.

Step 1.   Click start, > click Run, in the box that opens, > type cmd > press Enter.  > type diskpart, > press Enter,  On the next line,  Diskpart, with a flashing bar, will be display.

Step 2.   type list disk > press Enter,   A list of Disks will appear and Diskpart, with the flashing bar, will be displayed at the next line. 

Step 3.   Take a screenshot and save it.

Step 4.   Close the cmd window by clicking the X, at top right. 

Step 5.   Upload the screenshot. 

FYI.   You may have noticed that even though you installed a 250 GB SSD, only 218.98 GB is shown as available.   this is because some space is used for the SSD firmware and some is reserved for Over-provisioning.  > http://www.seagate.c...fits-master-ti/

Advertisements

johnb69

johnb69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Hi,

I like the sound of that!! :D

Screenshot attached.

Thanks

John

Attached Thumbnails

• diskpart.JPG

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Looks OK.   Please do the following.   Start the computer normally, it should Boot to the Desktop.

Step 1.   Click start, > click Run, in the box that opens, > type cmd > press Enter> type diskpart, > press Enter,  On the next line,  Diskpart, with a flashing bar, will be display.

Step 2.   type list disk > press Enter,   A list of Disks will appear and Diskpart, with the flashing bar. will be displayed. 

Step 3.   Type select disk 1 > press Enter,  this massage will be displayed, "Disk 1 is now the selected disk"  (make sure that disk 1 is the selected disk, because no going back once you commit the clean command.) On the next line,  Diskpart, with a flashing bar, will be display.

Step 4.   type clean > press Enter.  The Command Prompt window will display the message "DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk".  Close out of the Command Prompt window by clicking on the X in the upper right hand corner.

Step 5.   Click Start, in the Run Box, type, diskmgmt.msc > press Enter.

When Disk Management opens, > Go full screen, take a screenshot and include in your next reply.

Step 6.   Go > Programs, > Accessories, > System Tools, > run Disk Cleanup, then Defragger

Please download/install Reflect, > http://www.macrium.c...eflectfree.aspx

Full user guide, > http://updates.macri...pdf?src=sidebar

johnb69

johnb69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Hi iammykyl,

Screenshot attached.

Thanks

John

Attached Thumbnails

• disk mgmt 040916.JPG

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Also see next reply, Your new SSD now needs to be initialized, so it is accessible to work on.

Step 1.   Click Start, in the Run Box, type, diskmgmt.msc > press EnterWhen Disk Management opens,  this popup should open, 

gpt.jpg

Step 2.   Make sure MBR is selected, > click OK.   If no popup,

xpost-315887-0-65983300-1473016476_thumb

Right click Disk 1 > and select "Initialize Disk.

Step 3. Right-click the unallocated space in Disk 1 and from the drop down menu > select “New Simple Volume”The Wizard will open > click Next. 

Step 4. In the window that opens, leave as is and just click Next.   

specify_volume.png

Step 5.   Click the radio button for "Do Not assign a Drive letter or Path" > click Next.

specify_drive_letter.png

Step 6.   Click the Radio Button "Do not format this Volume, > click Next.

format_name_volume.png

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Hope not too confusing, reached the limit in reply #110.

Step 7.   A summary window will open, (info for you will be different)   > click Finish.  When done, upload a new disk management screenshot. 

new_volume_summary.png

johnb69

johnb69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Hi,

From above instructions there was no pop up so I right clicked disk 1 and selected initialize disk .At step 3 when I right click the unallocated space in disk 1 the drop down gives me 3 options:

New Partition

Properties

Help

There is no 'New Simple Volume' to choose.

I have also downloaded Reflect.

Thanks

John

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

OK, we will try again.   If you think I am being to pedantic with instructions, let me know if you want it simplified.

Step 1.   Click Start, in the Run Box, type, diskmgmt.msc > press Enter.

Step 2.   Right-click the unallocated space in Disk 1 and from the drop down menu > select New Partition.  On the New Partition Wizard that opens.  > click Next.

Step 3.   On the select partition window, > click the radio button "Primary Partition" > click Nest

Step 4.   On the partition size window, > The bottom box value size should match the top box size, that is, the max size of disk. > click Next.

Step 5.   On the Drive letter window, >   Click the radio button for "Do Not assign a Drive letter or Path" > click Next.

Step 6.   Click the Radio Button "Do not format this Volume, > click Next.

Step 7.   You may get a confirmation window, > click next, OR just the "completing window" > click Finish.

When done, upload a new disk management screenshot. 

Please watch this video, >  

johnb69

johnb69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Thanks for that.

Your instructions are excellent, it's just me! :D

Screenshot attached.

Thanks

John

Attached Thumbnails

• disk management 060916.JPG

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

OK.   We will try a clone with all the default settings. 

Step 1.   Start Reflect, > left click disk 0, then under it,  click Clone this Disk.  

Step 2.   In the window that opens, under Destination, > click Select a Disk to Clone to,

Step 3.   in the window that opens, > left click Disk 1, > click Next.

Step 4.   in the window that opens, > click next, this will skip any scheduled screens.

Step 5.   A summery window opens and lists details, > click Finish. 

When you see the Clone completed box, > click OK. > Close Reflect.

Step 6.   Open Disk management, Please take a screenshot and post it now.

Step 7.   Shut down, > turn of the PSU, > hold the case power button down for ten seconds, take anti static measure.

Step 8.   Disconnect the disk 0 SATA cable, HDD, at the MB. > disconnect the the Disk 1 SATA cable, SSD,  and reconnect to the Disk 0 port on the MB.   > Leave Disk 0, HDD, disconnected. 

Step 9.   Switch on the PSU, > power up.

Hopefully you are at the desktop?   Do a bit of playing about, testing, and let us know the results. 

Advertisements

johnb69

johnb69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Hi,

When I click 'finish' at step 5 the attached box comes up on screen.

I watched the video you attached and this box doesn't come up on that either.

Thanks

John

Attached Thumbnails

• Reflex.JPG

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Untick "run this backup now" > click OK. 

johnb69

johnb69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Did that. Takes me to attached screen

Thanks

John

Attached Thumbnails

• Reflect 1.JPG

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Sorry John, I made a mistake by telling you to untick a box in reply #117 "Untick "run this backup now" > click OK."

If reflect is still running, Click Cancel at the bottom of the screen>   I was making it too complicated.   Please watch this video.   shows shrinking a disk but we need to expand the C partition and leave enough space at the end of the drive for the Recovery partition. You only need to view the Reflect part of the video.

Let us know if this makes sense. 

https://youtu.be/Jh4uRhWwZT0?t=6m18s

johnb69

johnb69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Hi iammykyl,

I have attached a couple of screenshots from reflect.

The first one is when I open up reflect, the secont when I have dragged down the partitions. Do they look OK to you before I continue?

I'm not sure what you mean in post 119 regarding expanding the C partition. Will this happen in the cloning or is this something I will have to do?

Thanks

John

Attached Thumbnails

• Macrium 110916.JPG
  • Macrium 2 110916.JPG