Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing new SSD (Resolved)

Best Answer johnb69 , 12 February 2017 - 12:15 PM

Hi Guys, I've been using the PC for a while now and all seems to be running OK. I can't thank you guys enough for all the help you've given me, especially iammykyl for the help and patien... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

johnb69

johnb69

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Hi Guys,

I installed a new Kingston 240GB ssd into my Dell Dimension 5100 PC. It seemed to be going OK, cloned existing drive etc. When I tried to change the boot order I couldn't find the ssd anywhere.

I booted up anyway but now the new ssd isn't showing up anywhere in the PC, only the original C drive.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Johnb69,

The Dell BIOS is notoriously difficult to work with at the best of times but even more so with older hardware.

What I suggest you try is disconnecting the present HDD power cord and data cable and then connect the new SSD to the same port that the HDD was on, let us know how that goes please.

johnb69

johnb69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Hi phillpower2,

Tried what you suggested and it booted no problem from the SSD , much quicker!! Thanks so much  :spoton:

Do you think if I put the HDD into the other port it will register and will this mean I can use it as storage for pictures etc and can take them off the new cloned SSD drive?

Thanks

John

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Johnb69,

Glad to hear that the SSD/OS booted ok and that you are happy with the performance  :thumbsup:

Possible reasons why you could not boot from the SSD may include: the SSD was not recognised/configured as the first boot device and some MBs will not boot from certain SATA ports, one example I encountered some years back was with a Gigabyte board where SATA port 3 could not be used for a boot device such as a HDD. 

Do you think if I put the HDD into the other port it will register and will this mean I can use it as storage for pictures etc and can take them off the new cloned SSD drive?

The exact steps that I would have suggested + one further step, once you have established that the second HDD is detected I would get rid of any unwanted data on the HDD such as unwanted/unused games, pictures etc, this to free up some more storage space for yourself, if this is the computer that had the problem with Google and Windows 10 see the steps below, if not let us know the OS and I will provide the alternative steps;

·         Right click This PC > Manage > Disk Management.

·         Click Start Menu and then type Disk Management to search.

·         Click Start Menu and type cmd to open command line and then input compmgmt.msc and then click Enter.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

johnb69

johnb69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Hi phillpower2,

This is my old PC that I had before I got the Windows 10 one. This one runs Windows XP and unfortuately I'm as good on this one as I am on the other one.......... :laughing:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Johnb69,

No worries, we all have to start somewhere  :thumbsup:

Go to Start-Run and enter "diskmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) expand the Window so that we can see all of the info on each device, then grab a screenshot for us;

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

johnb69

johnb69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Hi phillpower2,

I connected the old Hdd to a spare port and started up the PC. I got a blue screen with the following on it-

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation, back up utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to checkhard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x8A934878, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

I took out the HDD ans restarted but I'm just getting the same blue screen with message

Thanks

John

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello Johnb69,

That is odd behavior and most likely unrelated as the HDD unless selected as the boot device should not have been accessed until you did so manually.

Steps to check/try - with the HDD disconnected.

Check that the memory sticks have not been disturbed.

Remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes and then replace it, see attachment below.

See if you can get into Safe Mode by restarting the computer while tapping the F8 key.

Will be going offline shortly as it is getting late here and have an early start in the morning  :(

johnb69

johnb69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Hi phillpower2

I hope your early start wasn't too bad!! :upset:

I checked the memory sticks. They seemed ok.

Took out the battery for a few mins then replaced.

Started PC pressing F8 and it took me to a screen saying:

Floppy diskette seek failure

Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility.

Thanks

John

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Johnb69,

Did you try pressing F1 to see if the computer booted up or F2 for setting the boot sequence.

Advertisements

johnb69

johnb69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Hi phillpower2

If I press F1 it takes me to a screen with the following choices:

Safe mode

Safe mode with networking

Safe mode with command promts

Last known good configuration

If I press F2 it takes me into a choice from  System, Drives, onboard devices, video, performance, power management, Maintenance, POST Behavior.

Thanks

John

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Johnb69,

Try the quickest option first please which is Last known good configuration in F1.

You are welcome  :)

johnb69

johnb69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Hi phillpower2,

Tried last good configuration, took me to Windows XP start up screen with the running bar on it then after a few seconds onto the blue screen as described in post #7.

Thanks

John

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Johnb69,

The behaviour described + the stop code/s suggest a problem with the NTFS file system, reboot into Safe Mode with Command Prompt, type chkdsk c: /r and then press Enter, let us know how it goes. 

Can I just make sure that you have configured the boot system so that the SSD is the first boot device and reset the time and date there.

johnb69

johnb69

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Hi phillpower2,

How do I configure the boot system to boot the SSD first?

Thanks

John