Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my motherboard gone? (Solved)

Best Answer EmishOrc , 23 May 2016 - 02:39 AM

Used new RAM sticks and was a success posting yay! Yea I got it for nothing and wasn't working the original owner was reckless and decided to put Arctic Silver with stock thermal paste. I guess tha... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Hi again I have a motherboard from an Acer Aspire desktop now there seems to be corrosion on the Integrated Graphics Card. Is there any way that I can save it at all? Or is it gone.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts

Hello EmishOrc,

Would it be possible for you to take a picture of the chip and upload it for us.

Have you tested the board to see if it works.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

If the damage is not too serious to affect other components maybe it works if you install an add-on graphic card.

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

The on-board chip appeared to be rusty, but upon inspection I found that it appeared to be some odd orange goo. I removed it though. And yes phillpower2 it does turn on, but doesn't post along with an endless beep.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

So we are not left guessing, please give the following info.

The model number of the Acer Aspire, a MB manual may be needed.

the brand/model number of the MB, different MBs can be used for the same series.

The CPU,, stock cooler or aftermarket?

The RAM.

The PSU.

Is a Bare Bones test being done? or parts installed in a case?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts

The on-board chip appeared to be rusty, but upon inspection I found that it appeared to be some odd orange goo. I removed it though. And yes phillpower2 it does turn on, but doesn't post along with an endless beep.

Depending on the brand of BIOS, endless beeps could be either bad RAM, bad graphics chip, a combination of both or a bad PSU.

In addition to what has been suggested/requested by SleepyDude and iammykyl respectively, remove the RAM, power up the MB and let us know if the beep pattern changes.

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Sorry for not responding the Mobo model number is Acer Aspire 946GZT-AM CPU: Intel Quad Core Processor, RAM: Patriot DDR2 PVS24GG400LLK 2GB PSU has been thrown out, because it was crap anyway.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the update.

So what PSU are you using to test and is it a know working one?.

Is the board set up outside of the case?  or a  Bare Bones, CPU/ cooler connected to CPU fan header, RAM, onboard graphics, monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Next try,

remove the RAM, power up the MB and let us know if the beep pattern changes.

What was the result?

Then try, 

Hi,

If the damage is not too serious to affect other components maybe it works if you install an add-on graphic card.

Have you tried that?  first, with  RAM, then without RAM.

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Doing a barebones test and I used another PSU which was kept away. Even had an add on GPU no result, but when I took the RAM out the beep pattern stopped.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Looks like a memory stick or slot issue.

Download your MB manual, >http://api.viglink.c...Product Manual

On the Bare Bones setup, GPU removed, monitor connected to  integrated Graphics, RAM installed.

With the PSU turned off, from the user manual, follow instructions to clear CMOS, > turn on the PSU, > Boot and enter BIOS, > check time and date are correct, > go to exit Menu, > Select "load Optimal Defaults" > Save and exit.

If you still hear beeps, i.e. one long continuous, one long, two short, repeated, let us know the exact pattern.

Is a message displayed onscreen?

Advertisements

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
✓  Best Answer

Used new RAM sticks and was a success posting yay! Yea I got it for nothing and wasn't working the original owner was reckless and decided to put Arctic Silver with stock thermal paste. I guess that story will have its place on Toms Hardware. And yes I done those instructions in the BIOS.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,746 posts
Used new RAM sticks and was a success posting yay!

That is good news  :thumbsup:

the original owner was reckless and decided to put Arctic Silver with stock thermal paste. 

It would be easy for us to laugh if it was not such a common occurrence :yes:  I once had one to repair were the owner had used toothpaste instead of thermal compound and after removing the original thermal pad with a razor blade  :headscratch:

I guess that story will have its place on Toms Hardware. 

One of many I`m afraid.

NB: See how much easier having an onboard speaker makes troubleshooting, always keep a spare one in your tool kit for when you come across a board that does not have one.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Good job.

Have you reassembled in the case and are able to get into the OS?

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Yes I was able to boot into Linux with it. And yes it's in a new case. Phillpower thanks for the advice I shall keep a spare in handy.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Great, thanks for the update.