Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sudden memory issues past few days

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

ceej

ceej

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

I'm a complete dummy with all things computery and really need help.

For the past few days I am getting low memory warnings - a  few of the low memory warnings have suggested closing runtime broker . Closing it does not help as it just pops up again and gobbles even more memory...

It is not alone in its memory gobbling tactics...windows installer is doing the same thing. ...last evening it was showing 79% memory usage and windows installer was showing 1766.3 MB and there were no updates going on and I had nothing open apart from task manager. In task manager there are two windows installer listed and one is steady and the other completely nuts..

This memory hogging has resulted in everything slowing to less than snails pace and the PC becoming completely unresponsive. No mouse control, unable to close anything or to summon the task manager.  It has gotten so bad that all I did was open a word document, insert a text box and add three lines of text before it started to sulk. Nothing else was open at the time.

It is driving me crazy. i have looked at some online topics about these issues but frankly the suggestions are in technical language way above my comprehension. I contacted Microsoft online tech help and they updated drivers and ran a scan and told me to restart my pc and it would all be okay... It did help for a while and I was able to use one thing at a time for a few hours this evening...but as soon as I opened a second thing the memory alerts popped up again.

I desperately need help but I do not understand technical terminology. Pretty please is there anyone patient out there willing/able to help?  I am seriously not joking when I say I am clueless, but I am too desperate for pride.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello ceej,

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

ceej

ceej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Okay thanks...will give it a go...

ceej

ceej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Hope I have done this right????

http://speccy.pirifo...OMZiPY6kbfMHnP1

ceej

ceej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Sorry seem to have posted it several times... did warn you I'm a numpty

Edited by ceej, 19 May 2016 - 03:04 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Couple of things going on that may explain the memory usage;

AVG is a known hog on system resources and will slow your computer down, it is also not as good an AV protection as it once was and using an alternative free AV that offers very good protection and is also light on system resources is recommended, Avast or as you are running Windows 10 the Winows Defender, the latter is what I would suggest.

Uninstall AVG using the proper removal tool from here

Are you aware that Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 have an updated version of Windows Defender that offers the same real time protection as Microsoft Security Essentials, you do not need third party AV protection and by not installing any you are reducing the possibility of potential conflicts and freeing up resources on your computer, information courtesy of admin here

MCShieldRTM.exe is present in your Speccy report and is most likely conflicting with AVG as it will with any other AV protection.

Your pagefile/virtual memory setting is too high, you have 3GB of RAM so the pagefile should only be 4.5GB, see here, please disregard any other product or service that may be offered at the link.

Physical Memory
Memory Usage: 82 %
Total Physical: 2.93 GB
Available Physical: 526 MB
Total Virtual: 12 GB
Available Virtual: 694 MB

Your HDD is shown to have issues, don`t want to weigh you down with things to do so address the above and then post back please.

We understand that posts can sometimes be duplicated by accident but please note the following polite request.

Tip

Please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last post, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page. 

ceej

ceej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Thank you.

I have removed AVG using the removal tool.

Do I need to uninstall Mc Shield too? (It was something recommended by someone here when I had a problem previously)

I began to follow the instructions for the page file part but  when following the instructions at the link you provided it tells me to change the initial and maximum size to the values recommended by windows... I have no idea what those values might be or where to find them? Can you help please?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Please check that Windows Defender is running and allow it to update/scan your computer if not done already.

Do I need to uninstall Mc Shield too? (It was something recommended by someone here when I had a problem previously)

Got a link to that thread please, don`t want to give any contradictory guidance.

Try 1500MB Initial and 4500MB maximum.

ceej

ceej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Thank you.

Windows defender is switched on and working and I have run a scan.

I  have finally located the old thread and it seems I downloaded Mc Shield to my desktop as a way to help sort a problem on my laptop so I am guessing it is okay to uninstall it if it may react with the windows defender but just in case, the thread is here http://www.geekstogo...n-vista-solved/

I have set the values  at 1500 and 4500 as you suggested - am I supposed to notice any changes or anything after doing this or will it simply be a smoother ride?

I really appreciate your help and especially your patience.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thank you for the link  :thumbsup:

Unfortunately you did not conclude your malware thread so I have no idea whether or not Essexboy would have asked you to remove mcshield as part of the clean up of malware removal tools procedure that the security experts do, it should be uninstalled now that you have Windows Defender protecting your computer.

Edit:

Colleague SleepyDude was kind enough to advise me that MCShield is in no way associated with McAfee and does not require any special removal tool so please follow the steps below;

1. On the Start menu, then select Settings.

2. Select System > Apps & features.

3. Select the program, then select Uninstall. Some apps that are built in to Windows can’t be uninstalled.

4. Follow the directions on the screen.

I have set the values  at 1500 and 4500 as you suggested - am I supposed to notice any changes or anything after doing this or will it simply be a smoother ride?

Not heard a stable computer called that before :lol:  but yes you are correct  :thumbsup:

You are most welcome btw  :)

Edited by phillpower2, 22 May 2016 - 04:10 PM.
As per the above.

ceej

ceej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Thank you. I have done that now and things do seem much better.

I am kind of scared to mention this but earlier you said that my HDD is shown to have issues and I should post back once I had completed the other tasks...

So... I have to ask what is my HDD and what do I need to do to/with it?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Glad to hear that things have improved  :thumbsup:

HDD = hard drive.

Be going offline shortly as I have an early start in the morning but will check back asap.

Download then run CrystalDisk from here, click on the file tab, take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply please;

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Not heard back from you ceej, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Palofceej

Palofceej

• Pip
  • 2 posts
phillpower2 I am C's friend and she asked me to let you know that she downloaded the thing as instructed but that they have experienced power supply issues and has not had time to run it yet. Hope that makes sense? EDF are working on the power issues right now and she will be back once she can run that thing. It may not be tonight. Thanks F

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:  Palofceej,

Thanks for dropping in with an update for us, ceej will hopefully have normal services resumed asap.