Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My Power Supply wattage

• Please log in to reply

Ruxpin

Ruxpin

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

I am interested in buying a Radeon 9700 Pro. However, it requires a 300 watt PSU. So the other day I went into my PC case to see how many watts there was on my PSU and I could not find it. Mind you, I have a Sony Vaio, so replacing the PSU is not even being considered(since their PSUs are smaller than standard size). However, I have no clue to what my PSU wattage is. Is there any way I could find out the wattage of my PSU? I tried calling Sony but thats unbearble to go through and I am not paying $20. Your help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

My specs:

Sony Vaio(got it in summer 2002)
Model number: PCV-RX755
2.0 ghz P4
512 mb ram
55 gig HD(one 15, one 40)

I can give more specifications if needed.

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
I couldnt find anything on their site about the psu. wouldnt even say if they are using a micro-atx sized psu, though that is probably the case.

are you using integrated video right now? does you have an AGP slot to install a new card in?

I ask because of this. read the link titled "how to install a new video card."
you may not be able to disable onboard video, if that is being used.

Ruxpin

Ruxpin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I am using an AGP video card at the moment. An ATI 9200 128mb to be exact.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
OK, good. I doubt the 9700 is gonna be a major power draw- does it have its own power connector on the card? my guess is it will work, and if it doesnt, you should be able to load a micro-atx power supply in that case easily enough.

check out your voltages on the psu, using everest home. it will tell you everything about your PC, except the psu brand. but it will give you voltage readings on each rail. as long as its within 5% of specified, your in good shape. after installing the new card, check them again, if the numbers change drastically, you will need a new psu.

Ruxpin

Ruxpin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No it does not have its own power connector, and thats the main thing I'm worried about. :tazz: I already have Everest Home, so I will try that method out. Thanks very much! ;)

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
if it isnt requiring external power, you should be fine, as it cant be pulling more power than the bus can provide.
let me know how it goes.