Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

STOP: c000221 {Bad Image Checksum} (Resolved).

Stop:coooo221 bad image checksum checksum

Best Answer phillpower2 , 08 June 2016 - 01:17 AM

Hello stevenits1, during install the screen went black a few times but I don't know if that means anything. What is the next step?  Hard to say about the screen going black and would... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

stevenits1

stevenits1

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Hello I can use some help I have an older laptop running XP and on start up I get a blue screen with this message. I have tried booting in SAFE MODE still get the same message and also in LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION but I still get the same message : STOP: c000221 {Bad Image Checksum}
The image rpcrt4.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksum.

I tried looking on line and every site wants to sell me their software and I just don't trust it. I'm semi proficient with computers so I can follow directions if they are given to me, can anyone help?

Back story:  I was using my laptop one day after not using it for a while and I opened a couple files I had stored on it for some time and then it restarted it self and I've been getting this message ever since. Thank You in advance !!

-Steven  

Advertisements

stevenits1

stevenits1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

I just remembered this last piece of information I had just done a Windows Update before this happened. please don't ask me what update number because I don't remember.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello stevenits1,

Sorry that you have waited longer than we would like before receiving a reply to your OP  :(

STOP: c000221 {Bad Image Checksum}
The image rpcrt4.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksum.

The above error code can be both hardware and software related so it would be best if we looked at the easiest checks first which is the hardware, we can touch upon the software along the way as in the questions asked below;

What is the brand and model name or number of the notebook.

Has the hard drive been making any odd noises or been slow to access.

How much free storage space was/is available on the HDD.

How many sticks of RAM do you have.

Do you have an XP or system restore disk for the computer.

In case this is the result of a flaky HDD I would suggest that you back up any important data on the drive using Puppy Linux, let us know if you need help with attempting to back up your data.

stevenits1

stevenits1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Not a Problem Phillpower2 I know everyone here is busy also. :thumbsup: 

What is the brand and model name or number of the notebook. : Lenovo Think Pad T60 Duo-core (Purchased new in 2005)

Has the hard drive been making any odd noises or been slow to access.: No I replaced the original HD with a SSD in 2012 .

How much free storage space was/is available on the HDD. : I believe it has a capacity of 248 Gigs I'm not even close to a fourth of the total capacity.

How many sticks of RAM do you have. : It maxes out at 3.5 Gigs and I have 1.5 Gigs so that is 2 Sticks.

Do you have an XP or system restore disk for the computer : I have the Install disk for XP that I'm trying to locate if that is what you are talking about?

Thank You for the help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello stevenits1,

What is the brand and model name or number of the notebook. : Lenovo Think Pad T60 Duo-core (Purchased new in 2005)

Has the hard drive been making any odd noises or been slow to access.: No I replaced the original HD with a SSD in 2012 .

How much free storage space was/is available on the HDD. : I believe it has a capacity of 248 Gigs I'm not even close to a fourth of the total capacity.

All acknowledged and thank you for such a clear reply  :thumbsup:

How many sticks of RAM do you have. : It maxes out at 3.5 Gigs and I have 1.5 Gigs so that is 2 Sticks.

There is a strong possibility that this is XP related but to at least rule out bad memory while looking for your XP disk try removing both sticks of RAM and then try one stick at a time in each memory slot, for help with this see article here please.

Do you have an XP or system restore disk for the computer : I have the Install disk for XP that I'm trying to locate if that is what you are talking about?

Admin tutorial How-to repair Windows XP

You are welcome btw  :)

stevenits1

stevenits1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Thank you for your fast reply, I will continue to search for my disk and I will do the memory check first thing tonight. I will report back to you in the morning my work pc is my only online pc right now.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

You are welcome  :)

Will check back later  :thumbsup:

stevenits1

stevenits1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Hello Phillpower2,

UPDATE:

I performed the Memory stick check you requested I do and the laptop started in all configurations except no Ram which is expected I believe.

I was able to locate my Install disk and I followed the tutorial you cited. the repair seemed to work until the last restart to finalize everything, it would not reboot completely: it would freeze up when the Black windows logo appeared. A couple of time I got to the grass meadow with the blues sky portion but the mouse would freeze and so would the screen.  

Side Note: During the install my screen kept turning black then the picture would come back and this would happen multiple times through out the install. I made several attempts  to install XP but it never finished completely.

-Thank You,

Steven S.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello stevenits1,

I performed the Memory stick check you requested I do and the laptop started in all configurations 

Can you explain what you mean please as in what exactly happened, did it boot into Windows etc.

stevenits1

stevenits1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Phillpower2, sorry I was a little vague.  

When I removed the first stick (The one closest to the top in my configuration) it loaded past the black screen with the windows logo on it and the blue error screen came up with the same stop error message.  like it has been doing. Then I removed the second stick (the one on the bottom in my configuration) tried to start it with no RAM and it beeped like I believe it should.

I just installed the second stick in the appropriate slot on the bottom and tried to start it and it went through to the black screen with the windows logo on it and did exactly what the laptop did when I removed the first stick.

That's it.

thank you,

Steven S.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

No worries and thanks for the clarification  :thumbsup:

XP is either so badly corrupt that it cannot be repaired or your SSD may have issues, I suspect the former and would suggest a fresh install of Windows be done, there is a way of backing up any important data on the drive first which in the process will show the computer to be usable or not outside of Windows, let us know if you need the info for backing up your data.

stevenits1

stevenits1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Phillpower2,

Sorry I for the late reply I was busy this weekend, I will do the fresh install tonight and update you tomorrow!! :thumbsup:  

stevenits1

stevenits1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

On a second thought Phillpower2 I could use some help with the backing up.

-thank you,

Steven S

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

No worries we understand that you have other things to attend to and appreciate your update  :thumbsup:

To back up your data see below, the secure boot info is not relevant with your computer so has been omitted;

=================== 

***Required Hardware*** 

CD Burner (CDRW) Drive, 

Blank CD, 

Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive)

=================== 

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:

• Download Latest Puppy Linux ISO (i.e.: lupu-528.iso) 

Download BurnCDCC ISO Burning Software 

There are instructions on how to boot from flash drive with puppy here; / 

For computers that have UEFI as opposed to legacy BIOS, to be able to boot from your USB device you may need to disable secure boot and change UEFI to CSM Boot, not all computers and BIOS are the same, please refer to your user manual if you have one as the following steps are only one such example.

Restart the computer, Windows 8 and 8.1 from the Start or desktop screen move your mouse pointer over the upper or lower right corner of the screen, when the Windows Charms appear click the Settings Charm, click on Power and then the Restart option.

Windows 10, Click on Start,Power and then Restart.

While the computer is re-starting,you will need to continually tap or hold down the particular key that will allow you to access the BIOS on your computer, we will use the F2 key as an example here;

After restarting the computer, when the screen goes black, press and hold down the F2 key, wait for the BIOS to load.

Select Security -> Secure Boot and then Disabled.

Select Advanced -> System Configuration and then Boot Mode.

Change UEFI Boot to CSM Boot.

Save the changes and Exit the BIOS, commonly F10.

If your computer will not boot into Windows at all, power up or restart the computer continually tap or hold down the key that will allow you to access the BIOS on your computer and then do the following;

Select Security -> Secure Boot and then Disabled.

Select Advanced -> System Configuration and then Boot Mode.

Change UEFI Boot to CSM Boot.

Save the changes and Exit the BIOS, commonly F10.

• Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer 

• Extract All files to a location you can remember 

• Double Click 1%20BurnCDCC%20Icon.PNGBurnCDCC 

• Click Browse 2%20BurnCDCC%20Browse%20Button.PNG and navigate to the Puppy Linux ISO file you just downloaded 

• Open/Double Click that file 

IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x 

• Click Start 3%20BurnCDCC%20Start%20Button.PNG 

• Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically 

• Insert a blank CD and close the tray 

• Click OK 

Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created

2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second 

•  

• Start the computer/press the power button 

• Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup" 

(Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen) 

• Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to: 

CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd 

• Open your ROM drive and insert the disk 

• Press F10 to save and exit 

• Agree with "Y" to continue 

• Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD 

4%20BIOSBootPriorityImage.png 

3.  Recover Your Data 

• Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM).  You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer".  Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning.  Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy.  To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once.  Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to.  This is normal.  Ready?  Let's get started. 

3a. Mount Drives[list] 

• Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop. 5%20Puppy%20Linux%20Mount%20Icon.PNG 

• A Window will open.  By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted.  Click on Mount for your hard drive. 

• Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount. 

• USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted. 

• If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab.  Mount it now. 

3b. Transfer Files.

•  

• At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon. 

• Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1 

• Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1 

• If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows) 

• From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window. 

For The Novice:  The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders for XP is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each individual name of each user, for Vista and above  C:\Users\$USERNAME\[...]. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos

Remember to only click once!  No double clicking!  Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy.  Choose COPY each time you drag and drop. 

YOU ARE DONE!!!  Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer.  Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. Congratulations! 

PuppyLinux528screenshot.png 

stevenits1

stevenits1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Thank You Phillpower2 I will use this, if for some reason I can't I will update you tomorrow.