Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

STOP: c000221 {Bad Image Checksum} (Resolved).

Stop:coooo221 bad image checksum checksum

Best Answer phillpower2 , 08 June 2016 - 01:17 AM

Hello stevenits1, during install the screen went black a few times but I don't know if that means anything. What is the next step?  Hard to say about the screen going black and would... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:thumbsup:

Advertisements

stevenits1

stevenits1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Here is an update Phillpower2, I've had some family stuff I needed to attend to so I haven't done anything yet.  I will download Linux Puppy and do a Fresh install over the weekend and get back to you on Monday !! take care :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

No worries and thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

stevenits1

stevenits1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Hello Phillpower2,

Update: I realized I didn't have a lot to back up so I used a HD docking station and was able to access the important files. So I then performed a "Fresh Install" of XP and it seemed to act okay, during install the screen went black a few times but I don't know if that means anything. What is the next step?

-Thank You,

Steven S.   

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello stevenits1,

during install the screen went black a few times but I don't know if that means anything. What is the next step?

Hard to say about the screen going black and would need to see if it happens after the fresh install, as to what next, have you installed the MB drivers and starting with the chipset first, after that update Windows, install an AV and after that keep the computer disconnected from the Internet unless absolutely necessary.

stevenits1

stevenits1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Thank You Phillpower2,

I have not installed those yet but I will do that tonight, the AV will have to wait a few days. May I ask why to stay off the internet as much as possible ? I wanted to use this Laptop as an internet surfer will that be an issue?

Thank you,

Steven S.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Steven,

I have not installed those yet but I will do that tonight, the AV will have to wait a few days.

Acknowledged  :thumbsup:

May I ask why to stay off the internet as much as possible ?

As XP is no longer supported by Microsoft (no new security or other type of updates) it is vulnerable to attack from bad guys such as hackers and people who want to steal your identity and bank details, some info here

If you really must use the Internet, install your AV protection as a priority and do not use IE, use a browser that still gets regular security updates, Opera or FF being two of the most popular.

stevenits1

stevenits1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Phillpower2,

thank You for the reply useful information! :thumbsup:

I'm still obtaining all of the updated drivers. but I do have the AV.

Thank You !

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Steven,

Thanks for the update Steven  :thumbsup:

Correct approach installing the AV first and sourcing the drivers next, let us know if you have trouble locating any of them/when you have them all and if not already done please don`t forget to ditch IE in favour of a more secure browser.

You are welcome btw  :)

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Hello Phill and Steven,

Hope this Saturday finds you both well.

Please forgive me for poking my nose in Phill. I saw that you said that using Chrome with XP is okay, but actually Chrome no longer provides updates for XP. I know because I am always getting rude messages about how XP is no longer supported. :)

Hope you both have a great weekend,

Chris.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hi Chris,

Good catch, I should have said Opera  :blush:

You too have a good weekend, don`t forget to keep your brolly handy  :)

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 879 posts
Shhh, don't say that! I particularly need the rain to hold off today! :)

stevenits1

stevenits1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Channeal and Phillpower2,

Thank you for the advise and I'm currently working on doing all of it. I'll keep you posted !!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:thumbsup:

stevenits1

stevenits1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

I'm still locating all of the Drivers, I thought I had some from the last time my HD crashed. Any suggestions on where to locate the proper ones needed?? 

Thanks in advance!