Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems after a fresh Vista install. (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 02 June 2016 - 01:38 PM

Come back to the updates in a moment. If you do not like Avast then Microsoft Security Essentials but hold off on this for now please. Regarding PE and the update issue/s, please see... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Please leave the audio drivers (apologies for the blip btw) for now as they are not your most pressing concern, possible HDD failure is.

Please don't apologise Phil, you're doing me the favour ............................ for which I'm very grateful .

I've done a short and long test, the results of which I have included.

--------------- SeaTools for Windows v1.4.0.4 ---------------
22/05/2016 22:45:14
Model Number: ST9250827AS
Serial Number: 5RG72PQ0
Firmware Revision: 3.AAA
Short Generic - Started 22/05/2016 22:45:14
Short Generic - Pass 22/05/2016 22:47:01
Long Generic - Started 22/05/2016 22:50:32
Long Generic - Pass 23/05/2016 00:16:38

Attached Files

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Thank you for being so forgiving  :)

Good news that the HDD passed both tests so what we should do now is check the voltages and temps in case that is what is affecting the HDDs performance, screenshot instructions included again for others that may happen upon your thread;

Please take expanded screenshots and only use the method below to attach them.

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

I'm sending three screenshots here.

The first is a SpeedFan error message I get whenever I try to run it, (as Admin), despite downloading it several times!

The second one is a SpeedFan screenshot with much information missing, presumably due to the error message.

The third one is HWMonitor which ran without a problem.

I hope you see something obvious!

Attached Thumbnails

• SpeedFan error message!.jpg
  • SpeedFan Temps..jpg
  • HWMonitor.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Your HDD is running hot causing performance to suffer, when if ever was the notebook cleaned out of heat trapping dust.

Example cleaning guide here

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Your HDD is running hot causing performance to suffer, when if ever was the notebook cleaned out of heat trapping dust.

Example cleaning guide here

It's not been cleaned out for many months!

Could that be causing it to not shut down correctly?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Heat is the bane of anything electrical and dust inside of a computer is one of the worst causes of not only heat but also static electricity, heat affects hardware in many different ways but one particular one in the case of HDDs is lock-ups/freezes with another one being erratic performance, your HDD passing both Seagate tests is a possible example of the latter because if you look at your CrystalDisk screenshot in reply #14 Reallocated Sectors Count is being flagged up when the Current - Worst - Threshold figures are fine but if you look at the BE Airflow Temperature reading you will notice that the readings are 48 - 23 - 45, the figure should not be lower than 45 but at 23 at some point it has been and at the present 48 is too near the Threshold of 45 which is the point that you start encountering problems, hope this makes sense to you.

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Hi phillpower2

I've given the machine a good clean with compressed air.

I'm still having problems with shut downs & boot ups and the machine is still very slow, especially when opening up more than one tab at the same time!

I've attached a screenshot of my temps after cleaning the laptop.

Thanks as always;

Attached Thumbnails

• HWM & SpeedFan.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Hi Slime,

No change in the HDD temps + high CPU usage for a computer that is not under load.

Quick check that you can do for us if you presently have the AC adapter connected to and powering up the notebook;

Shut down the notebook, disconnect the AC adapter, leave the notebook somewhere cool for around an hour, restart it on battery power only, check and make a note of the HDD temps and then do the following for us;

Download Process Explorer which you can obtain from here

Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7 - right click and Run as Administrator).  

View, Select Column, check Verified Signer, OK

Options, Verify Image Signatures

Click twice on the CPU column header to arrange things by CPU usage, this will put the services with the highest CPU usage at the top of the log. 

Wait a minimum of a minute then grab a screenshot and attach it to your next reply for us please.

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

What I've done is give you two sets of temps, I hope that's okay!

The first was taken immediately after boot up and the second was done about five minutes later.

I've also sent the requested Process Explorer screenshot.

I don't think this is relevant, but, my machine's battery only lasts about 10 minutes as it's now about seven years old!

Attached Thumbnails

• HVM & SF from cold..jpg
  • HVM & SF after 5 min utes..jpg
  • Process Explorer 2.jpg

Edited by Slime, 25 May 2016 - 03:21 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
What I've done is give you two sets of temps, I hope that's okay!

That`s ideal actually  :spoton:

Notice that the HDD temp in both screenshots is 27 and 33C respectively and that the CPU temp is up to around 57/58 after some use, the latter is normal for a notebook CPU and the former points towards the AC adapter being involved in the HDDs high temps, two possible reasons for this, 1: The AC adapter is defective and putting out too much voltage and 2: The battery being 7 years old and on its last legs is making the AC adapter work harder which in turn is creating over voltage and therefore more heat.

Please repeat the exact same procedure as above but this time with the main power brick removed and only the AC adapter powering the notebook.

Will come back to the PE log once the above has been done but fwiw the svch.exe reading covers a multitude of services and can show a high reading but at 50% is way too high and we need to check what the big hitters are.

Advertisements

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

These are the screenshots with the battery removed.

One when laptop had just booted up, the other was after about half an hour.

Attached Thumbnails

• No Battery - cold..jpg
  • Without Battery - Warm..jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Looks like you need to replace both the charger and battery I`m afraid  :(

Is your charger the original that shipped with the notebook when new.

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Looks like you need to replace both the charger and battery I`m afraid  :(

Is your charger the original that shipped with the notebook when new.

Yes it is ....................... bought in 2009, the battery is the original too.

I was unaware that they could cause these sort of issues, thanks for the heads up on that.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

In instances such as this I always recommend that members get a second opinion closer to home before making any purchase, any reputable local tech store will be able to test the notebook with an appropriate AC adapter.

Why I suspect that you need to replace both + an alternative option;

I don't think this is relevant, but, my machine's battery only lasts about 10 minutes as it's now about seven years old!

This proves that your battery is shot and being several years old is to be expected.

The HDD temperature does not get as hot on battery power.

The HDD does get hotter than it should be when only the AC adapter is being used which suggests that the adapter is putting out too much voltage and the battery not being in place means that it cannot be responsible in any way. 

Alternative to replacing both items, if a local Tech confirms my suspicions about the charger, if you only ever use the notebook where there is a power outlet, remove the battery altogether and use an appropriate AC adapter to power the notebook.

You are welcome btw  :)

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Thanks for that.

My battery is toast, I've ordered another one as I need one that lasts more than a few minutes!

I've managed to get hold of an AC adapter that's a couple of years old and have taken a screenshot of temps after 30 minutes use.

Does this tell you anything?

Also, what about the svchost thing?

Thanks again.

Attached Thumbnails

• Temps after 30 mins. No batt, new charger..jpg