Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems after a fresh Vista install. (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 02 June 2016 - 01:38 PM

Come back to the updates in a moment. If you do not like Avast then Microsoft Security Essentials but hold off on this for now please. Regarding PE and the update issue/s, please see... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
✓  Best Answer

Come back to the updates in a moment.

If you do not like Avast then Microsoft Security Essentials but hold off on this for now please.

Regarding PE and the update issue/s, please see below;

Download then run the All in One Repair (free) from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

You are welcome  :)

Advertisements

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

I followed the instructions to the best of my limited ability!

I firstly created a restore point, but whilst doing so, I got a System Properties window showing my drives .................................. two of which are a mystery to me!

Here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about;

Whilst creating Restore Point.jpg

I than began running the programme.

Not much to report other than a couple of things which may be of little or no consequence.

Firstly, I noticed that the pre-scan found no problems ...................... which is nice;

Pre Scan.jpg

but the System File Check found some unfixable corrupt files ......................... which isn't nice!

Sys File Check.jpg

I hope this makes sense to you!

When would you like me to install Microsoft Security Essentials?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You have done everything right up to now  :thumbsup:

It is sometimes necessary to run SFC 4 or 5 times so we will come back to this, any repair logs should be found in C:\ Program Files\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs

You can uninstall Avira and try MSE as and when you are ready.

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

You have done everything right up to now  :thumbsup:

It is sometimes necessary to run SFC 4 or 5 times so we will come back to this, any repair logs should be found in C:\ Program Files\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs

You can uninstall Avira and try MSE as and when you are ready.

There are loads of repair logs, are there any in particular that you'd like to look at?

Oh, I now have MSE.

Anything I can do?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

How is the computer behaving now.

Run SFC for us please;

Go to Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista - 7)
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista - 7)
Have the correct Windows CD/DVD handy (not always required).
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.

In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista & W7 users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.

Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to http://www.mediafire.com/ and then post download link here.

How to use mediafire  http://en.kioskea.ne...es-to-mediafire

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Run SFC for us please;

1. Go to Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista - 7)
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista - 7)
Have the correct Windows CD/DVD handy (not always required).
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.

In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

2. For Vista & W7 users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.

Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to http://www.mediafire.com/ and then post download link here.

How to use mediafire  http://en.kioskea.ne...es-to-mediafire

1. I ran sfc /scannow but I'm not sure it worked! Something flashed up on my screen for a fraction of a second and then nothing! Is this correct?

2. Hopefully you'll be able to see the CBS file. When I tried I got an access denied message!

Good luck.

https://www.mediafir...f4srl7rwl0tcjn0

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
How is the computer behaving now.Appl: Package: Microsoft-Windows-IIS-WebServer-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.6000.16386, Update: IIS-HttpErrors, Applicable: 2, Disposition:

The only error in the CBS log was the one above, never had a clue what it was so looked on Google and the only thing mentioned was a memory issue, follow the guide here to test your RAM.

You missed answering the above, would appreciate you letting us know.

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

How is the computer behaving now.Appl: Package: Microsoft-Windows-IIS-WebServer-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~6.0.6000.16386, Update: IIS-HttpErrors, Applicable: 2, Disposition:

1.  The only error in the CBS log was the one above, never had a clue what it was so looked on Google and the only thing mentioned was a memory issue, follow the guide here to test your RAM.

2.  You missed answering the above, would appreciate you letting us know.

1.  I ran the memory test and it showeed no problems although the results were not displayed after I rebooted.

2.  I'm still having some issues with the laptop not always shutting down correctly & the machine is very slow, especially when opening up more than one tab at a time.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Memory info acknowledged.

You mentioned in your OP that you had someone do a fresh install of Vista SP2, can I ask what type of disk was used and from where it was obtained.

Quick test for you to do for us, turn off the wireless device on the computer, wait a minute or so, run PE in the usual way, grab and upload a screenshot for us please.

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Memory info acknowledged.

1.  You mentioned in your OP that you had someone do a fresh install of Vista SP2, can I ask what type of disk was used and from where it was obtained.

2.  Quick test for you to do for us, turn off the wireless device on the computer, wait a minute or so, run PE in the usual way, grab and upload a screenshot for us please.

1. The guy who did a fresh install is a computer software repair man who would undoubtedly have used non-dodgy software.

2. Screenshot as required.

Wi-Fi disabled..jpg

I've also noticed that, since yesterday, my machine is turning off exactly as it should, which is an excellent sign.

Both shutdowns and restarts are working perfectly, for which I thank you heartily.

The machine is still pretty slow though!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
1. The guy who did a fresh install is a computer software repair man who would undoubtedly have used non-dodgy software.

Sorry Slime wasn`t suggesting otherwise, was wondering if an ISO had been used as they do not always go according to plan.

Please check what has the highest CPU usage in svchost.

I've also noticed that, since yesterday, my machine is turning off exactly as it should, which is an excellent sign.
Both shutdowns and restarts are working perfectly, 

Good news, please make sure that you create a new restore point for the present settings.

You are welcome btw  :)

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

1.  Sorry Slime wasn`t suggesting otherwise, was wondering if an ISO had been used as they do not always go according to plan.

2.  Please check what has the highest CPU usage in svchost.

1.  Hey, no offence taken fella, I'll try and find out the answer as soon as I can.

2.  Screenshot as requested.

When all seems okay.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Slime,

netsvcs is top of the list, did you as suggested turn off the wireless device on the computer when running PE.

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Hello Slime,

netsvcs is top of the list, did you as suggested turn off the wireless device on the computer when running PE.

I think so!!

Unless I misunderstand you, I merely disabled my Wireless Network Connection ................................. is that what you meant?

Sorry if I got it wrong!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

If you physically turned off the wireless device by moving the switch to the off position or by pressing an on/off button then that is fine, the aim is to try and stop Windows being able to look for updates so no Ethernet connection either if one is connected.

The high usage looks to be related to the Windows update service but can you please give it another shot at clearing the Event Viewer logs, see copy/paste steps below;

Open Event Viewer by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_47., clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Event Viewer.‌ 18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_41. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

1. In the console tree, navigate to the event log you want to clear.

2. On the Action menu, click Clear Log .

3. You can either clear the event log or save a copy of the event log and then clear it.

• To clear the event log without saving: Click Clear .