Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems after a fresh Vista install. (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 02 June 2016 - 01:38 PM

Come back to the updates in a moment. If you do not like Avast then Microsoft Security Essentials but hold off on this for now please. Regarding PE and the update issue/s, please see... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

I'm not sure how relevant this is, but I'm sure it's not good.

Whenever I boot up I get an indexer error message as in the following screenshot;

Search Indexer.jpg

It's the little box on the right.

As I'm typing this I'm installing six updates that were available, but the screen keeps changing from normal mode to safe mode and back again!!

It's also re-arranged all my desktop icons.

Any thoughts & sorry to keep troubling you.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Apologies for the delay getting back to you  :(

Can you let us know where you are up to with installing all important updates, until the computer is fully updated it is hard to tell whether or not a recently installed update caused a particular problem and a following update/patch then resolved the issue.

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Hi mate

When I now search for updates I get this message;

No important updates available..jpg

The optional updates are thes;

Optional Updates Available..jpg

When I try to install them I can leave it overnight and it still hasn't installed them!

Oh, and I also get this message;

Windows Live Error Message..jpg

Edited by Slime, 19 June 2016 - 11:20 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hi Slime,

Good news that all important updates are now installed  :thumbsup:

How is the computer behaving now.

You do not need the MSE update as it does not apply to your installation, see below, the other optional update is just that and if you don`t actually use Live Essentials you need not install any updates for it, that is why it is an optional update and not categorised as  "recommended" or "important"

Article ID: 2310138 - Last Review: 10/27/2011 14:31:00 - Revision: 2.0

Applies to
Microsoft Security Essentials OEM Pre-Installation Kit
Keywords:
KB2310138

And what the OEM Pre Installation Kit is explained here

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Hi Slime,

Good news that all important updates are now installed  :thumbsup:

1.   How is the computer behaving now.

2.   You do not need the MSE update as it does not apply to your installation, see below, the other optional update is just that and if you don`t actually use Live Essentials you need not install any updates for it, that is why it is an optional update and not categorised as  "recommended" or "important"

1.  Generally everything seems good. I can accept it being slow as it's an old laptop, no worries there.

2.  I have tried to update MSE through the programme itsself but I keep getting the following message;

MSE Update.jpg

I know this is wrong because my internet connection is absolutely fine! Is this something I should fret about?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Take a look at the info here which will allow you to check that you have the latest definitions installed.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not heard back from you Slime, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Sorry Phil

I was giving it a few days to see whether I have any issues with Windows Updates.

If it's okay, can I confirm at the weekend?

Slime.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

No problem, will look out for an update after the weekend  :thumbsup:

Just a heads up in case you are not aware, Google no longer provides security updates for Vista so you are best to uninstall it and stick with FF, see Chrome Blog here

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

No problem, will look out for an update after the weekend  :thumbsup:

Just a heads up in case you are not aware, Google no longer provides security updates for Vista so you are best to uninstall it and stick with FF, see Chrome Blog here

If I uninstall Vista, what operating system would you suggest? Presumably Windows 10.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Crossed wires perhaps as I wasn`t suggesting that you uninstall Vista only Google.

If you are asking a hypothetical question then Windows 10 but only after checking that your computer can run it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not heard back from you Slime, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Slime

Slime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Phil ......................... I think we are done :yeah: .

I can't thank you enough for all your support and advice, you've been a breath of fresh air!

Finally, what do you suggest I do with all the progs I have downloaded during the process?

Kind regards and many thanks,

Slime.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Good news and thank you for letting us know that all is now well  :thumbsup:

Any programs that you no longer need, uninstall them at your convenience please.

You are welcome btw :)