Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FTP username and password

ftp username password

• Please log in to reply

ilii

ilii

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello,

I'm a beginner Wordpress user and have managed to create and host a site locally via XAMPP. I would like to transfer it from my localhost to live, and I used namecheap.com to register for a domain name. I am using digitalocean.com to host my live site.

My problem is that I do not know my username OR password when I try to use my FTP client filezilla. I'm completely stuck on this - I cannot for the life of me remember either of them

A few details:

I am using WINDOWS PC

I started living at a new home 1 month ago

I am not using a router

I have tried looking up my username/password with %appdata% , roaming, etc. on an internet browser to no avail

I have watched countless FTP tutorials / videos but they all assume you KNOW your username and password, and so I keep hitting walls when this happens

I have tried different FTP clients, but all have the same problem

Any help will be appreciated

Edited by ilii, 21 May 2016 - 12:21 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,622 posts
  • MVP

The username and password are on the FTP server, not the client.  If you control the server you should be able to set the username and password.  If not perhaps it is the usual:

username: anonymous

password: any