Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAID 0 Config for AMD64

• Please log in to reply

peterrex

peterrex

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
So here I am with the new set up. My plans for this system are primarily to do video editing and animation. This is my new Abit AV8 mobo with an AMD64 3500+ cpu and a 425watt psu; all new. Also 1 gig RAM (soon to add another 2 gig) and an ATI 128 Rage graphics card. There are freshly NTFS formatted twin 160gig Maxtor SATA drives. I'm stuck again getting the drivers for the RAID installed. The OS won't accept the drivers for the RAID. I put in the F6 request and the S request and the supplied floppy doesn't satisfy the OS for complete setup. I've been around the block more than a few times trying the various obvious variations including another floppy with only the AMD64 drivers but nothing seems to be acceptable. I've set up the RAID (at least I think I have) from the User window I get from the suggested TAP button request. Even going past the request for the drivers gets me a messagea that "there is no disk in this drive" and when I push the C or D for the choices to go forward I get blue screen crash and error.
So what have I overlooked this time oh wise ones? As always I am forever in your debt and you have my infinite gratitude. :tazz: ;)

Advertisements

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
So I am still stumped. I can't seem to either remember or figure out why the installation of Windows XP doesn't see the drives to allow me to install the appropriate SATA drivers and thus finish the set up.
Have I run into something I didn't anticipate due to the new AMD Athlon64 cpu? I am kind of learning as I go along, but the installation is not completing despite my best efforts.
It goes through the F6 request and I have tried every imaginable variation of submitting the drivers on a floppy but every time it refuses to see any present and just asks me to put the floppy in drive A again, as though I had not already. When I do place it in and push ENTER, the green light shows on the floppy drive to indicate it is getting acknowledged, but then it asks for it again and nothing else happens. If I just try to ignore the installation and go forward it brings me to a window asking me to choose which drive to install onto and shows a box with four identical entries each saying there is no drive installed or it can't find the drive. Further efforts result in blue screen crashes.

In my quest for information I see that I am far from alone in this dilemma as I have seen other posts in other forums with similar questions and dilemmas.

According to the section for the RAID creation I think I have successfully created a RAID 0 string as it appears to be present when I go look for it. Did I not set it up correctly?
Is all this worth my while? I intend to do animation and some light video editing and post production on this system. I was thinking the RAID was the most efficient way to go.

And now on top of this all, Windows is coming out with Windows XP Pro 64! Am I supposed to go for that? Have I gotten in over my head? Help? Anybody there? :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I dont see why raid would be the best unless you want to have a backup for imprtant data in which case i would say just get some dvd-rws and use them.

Try to get it to work without raid, im not even going to try and say anything about trying to get it going because i dont know much about raid arrays.
The new windows by all accounts is rubbish dont get it you are much better off with xp pro with sp2.

hacp

hacp

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Raid 0 is stripping I beleive and it gives you a boost in hard drive speed. Btw, I have never used raid before, so sry I can't help you.

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
If anyone is curious, I managed to get Windows XP Pro installed on the AV8 by disabling the SATA ROM in the BIOS. I then installed as a "Standard PC" and now have the option of creating a RAID striping from within the Windows environment.
I couldn't seem to get any other way to do do it no matter how hard I tried.
The solution came from an Abit forum where many other people had the same problems. Thanks for being there. I'll probably see you in the future, but hopefully less frustrated. :tazz: