Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"New folder" running under Applications / Task Manager

Best Answer MystiqueWolf , 26 May 2016 - 04:28 PM

No, it's ok. I can't see a problem with your PC. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Just to update you on this.....

A few days ago after booting up and without any action from me, a box appeared asking me about Driver Genius / a toolbar - Driver Genius was downloaded a long time ago......so I just clicked 'No'.

Afterwards 'New folder' disappeared under Applications in Task Manager.

On my desktop there is an old link to Driver Genius files named 'New folder'.

Advertisements

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

So have you downloaded Driver Genius manually or it came a long time ago as a PUP? Do you use it? Have you uninstalled it? Just curious...

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Back in 2012 my computer had 2 BSODs, one caused by atapi.sys driver. I sought help for this on Microsoft Answers forum; a regular there who seemed very above board remotely assisted me and changed the driver. It was he who downloaded Driver Genius Professional; I sometimes keep old downloads in case I ever need to update and use them again, if I remove them I'd probably forget the names.

I had no further problems with this driver, however, I noticed an unknown process running in Task Manager immediately afterwards that had not been there beforehand......McAfee Stinger took care of it.....

?

I should remove Driver Genius...

Edited by scarlet.rose, 30 July 2016 - 05:22 AM.

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

If you know it's on your PC and you use it, then you can keep it. My question is if it was installed with some other installer as a potentially unwanted program because driver updaters usually are bundled along freeware's installers. I use Driver Booster for example. People usually tell that it is best to find the drivers manually on your manufacturer website and this is true, but...

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

I see. He downloaded a few driver related programs (if that's the correct word). In the end I believe he used one from the Dell site, which was specifically for my computer.

I think I will remove it, I don't use it - changing drivers is something I'm not comfortable with without help.

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

It is better to update drivers manually, as in some cases the driver updater utilities (that's what they're called, you almost hit it :)) can deliver unstable drivers or stable drivers not specifically for your hardware. If it is a driver update utility from a big company then the probability of such things is lower, but it still exists. I tried to explain why it is safer that way.

Now, most driver update utilities create a system restore point just before updating the drivers so in case the driver is somehow corrupted you can easily restore the previous state of your system files and drivers. Also, people who don't feel confident enough to update drivers manually use them. Or people who are able to manually update but are just too lazy to do this (like me  :lol: ). I use IObit's Driver Booster (free version) because it has an option to only download WHQL tested and certified drivers. I kind of feel like their products are good, but that's just my opinion.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

"I use IObit's Driver Booster (free version) because it has an option to only download WHQL tested and certified drivers. I kind of feel like their products are good, but that's just my opinion."

Thank you for the helpful information, I shall remember it.

Ahh.....utilities.....now I know. I got to that and thought, what are they called? :)

Device Manager - Update Driver - What do you think of that please?

Very odd that the Driver Genius folder would cause 'New folder' to permanently show under Applications in Task Manager for all that time?

All clear now though..... :)

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

It's not strange that it shows its process in Task Manager, but it is strange why have named it "New Folder" instead of something more recognizable like "Driver Genius tray" or "Driver Genius". And please notice that sometimes the drivers that are produced for some components are not going through WHQL certification but are stable and by limiting only to WHQL certified drivers you might miss out on the latest driver (though i'm not sure).

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Regarding WHQL certification and non certification - ok, I see.

But Driver Genius was downloaded in 2012, it didn't open unless I clicked on it, it never showed this way in Task Manager until recently?

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

I haven't heard of it before you told me about it. I don't know how useful it might be. Have you tried opening it and manually initiating a search for drivers with it?

Advertisements

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Some utilities :) do open automatically don't they, this one doesn't.

No, I haven't, I guess I would need to update it first.......not knowingly clicked on it since it was downloaded.

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

If it doesn't have a shortcut on the desktop or a pinned icon in the taskbar, then open the start menu and type "Driver Genius", let's see what you would find and open the program if it shows, then explore its interface. 

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

There's a shortcut on the desktop for it named 'New folder'.....

Ok will do later and report back, have to pop out now.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Not installed?

Opened the folder, clicked on it:

"Select the language to use during the installation"

Update

Clicked on another file in the folder.......Driver Genius starts to load then: "Error. Invalid database file."

Please see screenshot >>

Attached File  New folder Driver Genius.bmp   1.37MB   583 downloads

Edited by scarlet.rose, 30 July 2016 - 03:51 PM.

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Press the Windows_Key.png + R button combination in order to open the Run dialog. Inside it, type "appwiz.cpl" and press the Enter key.

Check if there is a Driver Genius entry and uninstall it. If you want then you can download it again from the website and use it or change it with another program.