Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New case, bad power switch connector (Solved)

Best Answer iammykyl , 26 May 2016 - 04:27 AM

Gday.To ensure we know we are booting with the MB default setting, referring to your MB manual.Switch off the PSU and take anti static measures by briefly touching a bare metal part of the case.Rem... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

SkyXero

SkyXero

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
When I bought a new case when trying to turn it on with all the hardware in it doesn't power up. I did the paperclip test no problems. I then proceeded to grabbing other cases and using their power switch connectors to see if anything pops up. The motherboard I had did not include a jumper? So I did last resort and just used a screwdriver to power it up. Turns out the screwdriver test worked and powered up the system and to the login screen. Is it that my case or motherboard is defective? I don't really know what to do after doing the screwdriver test and it being successful. What do I do from here?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Is this the same replacement MB as in the thread here and here

SkyXero

SkyXero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

No, it is a Gigabyte 970A-GS3P motherboard

Edited by SkyXero, 25 May 2016 - 12:44 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

So is the thread here dead.

To help us keep the forums tidy and ensure that you do not have to wait longer than you need to receive assistance, rather than start a new thread for the same upgrade/build components please ask for additional help in your ongoing thread and any thread where you no longer need help please reply in that thread letting us know, this will also help to avoid any confusion, thank you   :thumbsup:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

So is the thread here dead.

Please give the brand//model of the computer case.  Is it still under warranty?

Is this you Motherboard? > http://download.giga...970a-ds3p_e.pdf

SkyXero

SkyXero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Yes the thread is dead. The case I am using is a nzxt s340 case, ordered on Amazon, should be under warranty, ordered it last week

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
✓  Best Answer

Gday.

To ensure we know we are booting with the MB default setting, referring to your MB manual.

Switch off the PSU and take anti static measures by briefly touching a bare metal part of the case.

Remove all the front panel plugs coming from the case buttons/LEDS. 

Switch on the PSU, > with a small bladed screwdriver, briefly short out the two Power on Pins, ref, page #14. > as the computer boots, enter the EFI/BIOS, > Go to the exit menu, > Select Load Optimized Defaults > Press on this item and select Yes.   You computer will restart.  Turn off the computer using the PSU switch.

Plug the case Power On plug into the correct two pins on the MB Front Panel header, ensure the + sign on the plug matches the + sign on the MB, Ref, page #14, >   Switch on the PSU, > press the Power on Button, if this fails,

Switch off the PSU, > swap the Power On plug with the Reset Switch plug, > Connect it to the Power On Pins, ensure that the + signs match, > switch on the PSU, Press the Reset button.   If the computer starts, > press the Reset button again to see if it powers off. 

SkyXero

SkyXero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Before adding on a new thread I want to know something about this other build I have.
Specs:
Amd Fx-6300
Corsair H105 cooler
Asrock 970 performance motherboard
Evga Gtx 970 SSC
Nzxt H440
Samsung Evo 750 120 gb
Western Digital blue 1 Tb
Evga 80+ gold supernova 750 watt power supply
6 fans are running

And yes, the other threads are dead, I want to place the questions I have right now here.
Problem : The pc won't boot, i took it apart and made sure the power supply worked with the included wires or paperclip test. It worked, but it still won't boot. I then tried doing the screwdriver method but it only briefly flashed the led of the water cooler. I guess I would also say it applies to just pressing the power button when plugging in the back and switching it on. I want to know if I am missing something, I read as much as I could on the setup guide. What do I do?

I am going to do those procedures soon, thanks.

SkyXero

SkyXero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
@iammykyl, thank you for solving my first problem! To add anything, I am worried that when I install the graphics card, it makes a crackling sound going in and out. I have no idea what causes it. Does it effect the booting process in anyway?

Edited by SkyXero, 26 May 2016 - 07:58 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Before adding on a new thread I want to know something about this other build I have.
Specs:
Amd Fx-6300
Corsair H105 cooler
Asrock 970 performance motherboard
Evga Gtx 970 SSC
Nzxt H440
Samsung Evo 750 120 gb
Western Digital blue 1 Tb
Evga 80+ gold supernova 750 watt power supply
6 fans are running

And yes, the other threads are dead, I want to place the questions I have right now here.
Problem : The pc won't boot, i took it apart and made sure the power supply worked with the included wires or paperclip test. It worked, but it still won't boot. I then tried doing the screwdriver method but it only briefly flashed the led of the water cooler. I guess I would also say it applies to just pressing the power button when plugging in the back and switching it on. I want to know if I am missing something, I read as much as I could on the setup guide. What do I do?

I am going to do those procedures soon, thanks.

Part of your question, "Problem : The pc won't boot,"   Is your question about this build here ?   You have marked the Topic Solved, but if it won't boot, you still have issues.

@iammykyl, thank you for solving my first problem!

You are very welcome :thumbsup:

Now please give us some feedback so we, and future readers of you Topic know what worked.

1.   After resetting BIOS, The PC Boots using the screwdriver method?

2.   Connecting the Power On plug to the two Power On pins, matching the + signs, The PC Boots Ok? and still works after installing the other Front Panel plugs?

3.   You connected the Reset plug to the Power On pins?   The PC Boots OK?  if yes, what did you do with the Power On plug?

I am worried that when I install the graphics card, it makes a crackling sound going in and out. I have no idea what causes it. Does it effect the booting process in anyway?

With the PSU switched off, any PCI=E cables removed, and holding in the Case Power On button for about 10 seconds, there should be no crackling noise, like you would get if electricity was arcing/shorting from the slot to the card.

Please tell us, step by step, what you are doing, and why.