Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wifi Connection Problems

• Please log in to reply

aaaa44

aaaa44

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

My WiFi connection has suddenly become sporadic over the last week or two.  I started using the WiFi antennae or extender that I'm currently using about six months months ago, and it has worked fine until now.

The WiFi source is in my landlord's unit about 30 yards from my antennae.

The connection will be fine for a while, even hours oftentimes, and then the connection will become "Limited", or all connection will be lost.  The network goes to "Limited" then "Connecting" then "Connected" regularly.  When a connection problem arises I unplug the antennae to reset it and then the connection will be fine for a while.

There are two WiFi networks with the same name that I am using, but one has "_xt" at the end.  It appears as if my computer is going back and forth trying to connect with each one of these two networks when there's a connection problem.  When I manually connect I believe I can only connect to one of the two.

A Belkin refresh program used to automatically start when there was an occasional connection problem, but it has not started automatically in the last two weeks or so since the connection problems have become really bad.  Thanks for any replies.

My computer and extender:  

Lenovo H500S

Celeron J1800

4Gb RAM DDR3

W8.1 64 bit

500Gb HD 7200 rpm

Belkin Dual-Band Wireless Range Extender

Model:F9K1106v1

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Have you tried changing the channel that the router and the extender use?  It sound like you may have some interference that comes and goes.  I've found Netgear Genie program very handy for selecting an unused channel.  http://www.netgear.c...apps/genie.aspx

Most routers claim to automatically select the best available channel but I've found that auto select doesn't work very well if at all.  There were 7 other routers on the same channel on the router in our condo.  I changed the channel select on our router to manual and chose an unused channel per Genie and that stopped the dropouts that we were getting.  It doesn't have to be another router.  Anything wireless like a cordless phone or a baby monitor or a noisy electric motor can cause interference.  

aaaa44

aaaa44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

My landlord changed networks without telling me.  I am able to connect to the internet with no problems now.  Thanks for the help.