Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help with network adapters

Network adapters

• Please log in to reply

Urhelpgreatlyappreciated

Urhelpgreatlyappreciated

• Pip
  • 1 posts

So I'm seeking help concerning networks. Specifically network adapters. I'm not very tech savvy and could use some helpful input about a concern I've come to have. I've had a neighbor I've known for years and thought was a good guy help me with my pc's when I've encountered problems with them. I was wanting to build a pc that was decent for gaming and a while back he offered me a pc that he said was far superior to the one I had which was plagued with problems often and quite old. Well it wasn't a complete pc he offered but a tower with a motherboard that could receive more RAM cards, a dvd player, cd player, and SM,SD,CF card readers. I purchased a Nvidia video card with some available ram and four 1gb RAM cards on his advice and we spent a few hours putting it all together using the hard discs from my old pc one afternoon. I took it home and have been using it for a while with no problems that I noticed or none that I'm literate enough to identify. But I did always wonder why my network adapter which is a Broadcom Netxtreme Gigabit Ethernet was the only adapter identified in my device manager. Because I remembered my old pc always having several identified and because its identified as 1gb ethernet even though I don't have internet service nearly that fast. Here is my concern. I like most people running windows operating systems have been choked with Windows 10 upgrade offers. And although I like the Windows 7 I currently am using I thought to try the upgrade after it had been out a while thinking the early bugs had probably been dealt with and since it was a free upgrade why not try it I told myself. But after downloading it and installing it. It would freeze on startup and kick me a error code. When I researched the error code. I found out that I couldn't install it because my computer is part of a business network and that I had to contact the network administrator in order to be able to carry out the upgrade. Now on this pc as far as I'm aware I'm the network administrator and have control over all the user accounts both administrator and standard user. Now I know this neighbor of mine is a tech. manager for a large business and is in charge of all the pc's for said business. And remember him saying that the he had gotten the motherboard from work because it wasn't compatible with all the others they had recently upgraded to. So after I learned about why I couldn't upgrade I called him and asked about the error code and what I was reading about it. He suddenly seemed to start himhawing and seemed to become not very knowledgable about any of the questions I was asking about the problems I was having. Was I an idiot to accept the help and hardware this "friend" offered to me? And has this guy had access to my pc through this Broadcom Netxtreme network since he helped me assemble it? I don't use my pc for any banking or shopping because I'm aware I'm not very knowledgeable where computers are concerned. I'm an old carpenter and equipment operator and stick to what I know. But have concerns that maybe this guy is not as honest or friendly a person as I had come to think of him as being. Any insight with regards to this dilemma I'm having would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading and good day.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts

:welcome:    Urhelpgreatlyappreciated,

Rather a lot of text in your OP so will outline a couple of points for you should you come back here;

I remembered my old pc always having several identified and because its identified as 1gb ethernet even though I don't have internet service nearly that fast

A Gigabit LAN controller is pretty much standard on most if not all modern MBs made today, it does not mean you will receive your internet connection at that speed only that the controller is capable of providing a 10/100/1000Mbps connection.

I remembered my old pc always having several identified

Not sure why as MBs normally have the one ethernet port and older ones possibly two but not several.

And remember him saying that the he had gotten the motherboard from work because it wasn't compatible with all the others they had recently upgraded to.

The MB is not the real concern here the type of Microsoft product key that was used with it is.

Who installed Windows 7 on the computer, from where was the software obtained, what type of product key was used OEM or full retail and had/has the key been used before with any other computer or motherboard.

But have concerns that maybe this guy is not as honest or friendly a person as I had come to think of him as being.

Not our place to comment on this but I will say that having you purchase 1GB memory sticks seems rather odd, can you post the brand and model name or number of the motherboard so that we can check the specs.

Tip

To ensure and so that I can see that you will receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.