Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Purchased new notebook with Windows 10 (Resolved).

- - - - - Windows 10 Windows 7 PCMover

Best Answer phillpower2 , 25 June 2016 - 03:43 AM

No worries but as you will be aware I responded to your reply #15 on page one and after replying to other members email notifications I then came to your page two reply #16 email notification which... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

jrsollas

jrsollas

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

I just purchased an HP Envy and wanted to transfer my files and programs from my previous HP Pavillion. It took a few tries, but I was able to transfer quite a bit of my personal items. Is there any way to see if any of the files are outdated and/or corrupt? I don't want to start off with a new computer bogged down with any spyware, adware, or unneccessary junk.  Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Jennifer

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello jrsollas,

Is there any way to see if any of the files are outdated and/or corrupt? I don't want to start off with a new computer bogged down with any spyware, adware, or unneccessary junk. 

Can I ask what type of files you are referring to.

Personal data such as pictures, videos and school/work related documents should be ok but avoid transferring anything that has executable files (.exe) some info here

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not heard back from you jrsollas, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

jrsollas

jrsollas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

I apologize, as your response went directly to spam.

I used a program called Laplink PCMover Home that I purchased, which moved all pictures, videos, and my MIcrosoft Office items. Unfortunately, it did move some .exe files as well, and now I am unsure which are truly necessary for my new laptop to run effectively, and which is from the old one. I will follow the link that you provided.

Thank you for your support :)

*I see that the link just explains what an .exe file is. Is there any way for me to see what was transferred, as the only way I can see this is to look in the uninstall programs list. This doesn't help because the date I moved the files and the day I began using the computer coincide, so I cannot differentiate.

Edited by jrsollas, 06 June 2016 - 08:36 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

No worries and thanks for getting back to us  :thumbsup:

Use Windows own File Explorer, MS tutorial here

Anything that you are sure of let us know and we will take a look for you.

RE the exe info, the link offered a better explanation than I could have as to what exe files are and why they should not be copied.

jrsollas

jrsollas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Thank you :) I will definitely look into this and get back to you if there is anything suspicious. I appreciate your help, as Windows 10 takes some getting used to.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

You are welcome and please do let us know if you have any further questions  :thumbsup:

jrsollas

jrsollas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Upon restart, I keep getting this error message, ""rtl70.bpl" was missing" and needs to be reinstalled. Any help in eliminating this problem (most likely carried over from Windows 7) is much appreciated.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

That is not related to Windows, did you previously have any software from Borland installed.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not heard back from you jrsollas, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Advertisements

jrsollas

jrsollas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Not sure if I installed something from Borland. Should I post in a different area to get help with locating that?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

No need as we can take a look here  :thumbsup:

Post an Autoruns log for us please, see here  

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.

2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".

3: Click on the "Hide Signed Microsoft and Windows Entries” option.

4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.

5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop > when you click on File > Save you will then get the option to Save as type, click the drop down tab, change it to Text and then click the Save button.

6: Attach to your next reply.

Tutorial here

You are welcome btw  :)

jrsollas

jrsollas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Thank you for your reply. I was able to download Autorun and I tried to follow the directions to the best of my ability. I ran into a problem at ***3: Click on the "Hide Signed Microsoft and Windows Entries” option.

I dodn't see this option, so I continued on to save.

Saved to desktop, but when I tried to double click to open and save as a .txt file, It said File Corrupt and I had to exit.

Sorry :(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

No worries, did you take a look at the tutorial link that I also included in reply #12, if not, see here

jrsollas

jrsollas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

I did reread the tutorial, and the spot that I am having difficulty with is when I go to save after step 4, Autoruns says Not Responding and freezes. Not sure what to do?

Also, the icon on the desktop is labeled LAPTOP-ADH6JVF6 and I cannot open it to save it as a .txt file

Edited by jrsollas, 23 June 2016 - 08:35 AM.