Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hp presario laptop long beep sound at start up (Resolved).

Best Answer bjr1000 , 21 June 2016 - 03:31 AM

Not heard back from you bjr, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.sorry phill.....it was  very remiss of me to have broken the the rule... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

bjr1000

bjr1000

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

hi all

i have a hp compaq presario cq60 laptop that makes a loud long beep sound at start up.

could any one please advise me on this issue.

thanks

bj

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

http://www.bioscentr.../compaqbeep.htm

bjr1000

bjr1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

thank you paws.

it looks like  i need to replace the ram cards.

there are two fitted with what appears to be different values....1.   2gb      2.     250mb [cannot be sure exactly on this one].

would you recommend i buy 2  x 2 gb  cards,

bj

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello bjr1000,

If I may chime in while paws is offline  :)

What I suggest you try is removing both sticks of RAM then power up the notebook to see if the beep pattern changes when there is no memory inserted, please note that before doing this you should remove the main power brick and AC adapter then press the power on button for around 20 seconds to get rid of any possible residual charge in the circuits.

1: If the beep pattern is the same, shutdown the notebook, follow the same safety procedures as above, insert a single stick of RAM, connect the AC adapter and power up to see if it boots, repeat the procedure with the same stick of RAM but this time place the memory in the second slot and test.

2: After testing the first stick of RAM, shutdown, follow the normal safety procedures and repeat the exact same procedure with only the second stick of RAM being inserted.

To help with removing and replacing the RAM see pages 4-13 and 4-14 here

NB:

there are two fitted with what appears to be different values....1.   2gb      2.     250mb [cannot be sure exactly on this one].

JAFYI: There is no such thing as 250MB memory modules, the nearest to that figure is 256MB and one of these will not be in your computer as it is only compatible with 512MB, 1GB and 2GB sticks, 2 Xs 2GB sticks being the best option performance wise on your particular notebook as that is the max amount of RAM for your computer.

bjr1000

bjr1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Hello bjr1000,

If I may chime in while paws is offline  :)

What I suggest you try is removing both sticks of RAM then power up the notebook to see if the beep pattern changes when there is no memory inserted, please note that before doing this you should remove the main power brick and AC adapter then press the power on button for around 20 seconds to get rid of any possible residual charge in the circuits.

1: If the beep pattern is the same, shutdown the notebook, follow the same safety procedures as above, insert a single stick of RAM, connect the AC adapter and power up to see if it boots, repeat the procedure with the same stick of RAM but this time place the memory in the second slot and test.

2: After testing the first stick of RAM, shutdown, follow the normal safety procedures and repeat the exact same procedure with only the second stick of RAM being inserted.

To help with removing and replacing the RAM see pages 4-13 and 4-14 here

NB:

JAFYI: There is no such thing as 250MB memory modules, the nearest to that figure is 256MB and one of these will not be in your computer as it is only compatible with 512MB, 1GB and 2GB sticks, 2 Xs 2GB sticks being the best option performance wise on your particular notebook as that is the max amount of RAM for your computer.

thanks for the info phill ;and also for correcting me on the memory stick values.

i will carry out the the steps you have outlined here.

bj

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

You are most welcome bjr1000  :)

No doubt one of us will be around when you post back with an update after testing.

bjr1000

bjr1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

You are most welcome bjr1000  :)

No doubt one of us will be around when you post back with an update after testing.

having carried out the test and both sticks have proved faulty....i have sent for new  2 x 2gb sticks.

on closer examination the old sticks were both valued 2gb

thanks again

bjr

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello bjr,

It can happen that more than one stick of RAM goes bad at the same** time but can I ask how you determined that both sticks of your RAM are bad, please see below for explanation;

From my reply #4;

What I suggest you try is removing both sticks of RAM then power up the notebook to see if the beep pattern changes when there is no memory inserted, 

Did the beep pattern change at all when you started up the computer with no RAM at all fitted.

If the beep pattern changed with no RAM in place, when you then tested each stick of RAM separately did the beep go back to the same loud long beep that you mention in your OP.

** What has often happened in this scenario is that one stick of RAM has failed before the second and the user has not noticed, you may not notice on a computer only used for office or school work but would definitely notice a performance dip on a gaming rig or one used to run demanding programs such as CAD etc. 

bjr1000

bjr1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Hello bjr,

It can happen that more than one stick of RAM goes bad at the same** time but can I ask how you determined that both sticks of your RAM are bad, please see below for explanation;

From my reply #4;

What I suggest you try is removing both sticks of RAM then power up the notebook to see if the beep pattern changes when there is no memory inserted, 

Did the beep pattern change at all when you started up the computer with no RAM at all fitted.

If the beep pattern changed with no RAM in place, when you then tested each stick of RAM separately did the beep go back to the same loud long beep that you mention in your OP.

** What has often happened in this scenario is that one stick of RAM has failed before the second and the user has not noticed, you may not notice on a computer only used for office or school work but would definitely notice a performance dip on a gaming rig or one used to run demanding programs such as CAD etc. 

hi phill,

with both sticks removed there was no beepinig at all.

the power light was on and the orange wireless light[ not connected ] was on  but after that nothing happened......no start up..

i sat there for several minutes with no response.

i then followed your info.  [ switching sticks etc ]  and the long beeping occurred each time.

bj

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thanks for the update bjr  :thumbsup:

It depends on the brand of BIOS what the beep patterns mean but the info at paws link which is Compaq specific does point towards memory issues.

Should have asked earlier, do you at any time get anything on the screen, the Compaq logo for example.

Some info on a different brand of BIOS;

No beep = Power supply or system board problem
Continuous beep = Power supply, system board, or keyboard problem

Do you have a USB type keyboard that you can test the notebook/present RAM with, this just to rule out another possibility while waiting on the new RAM.

Advertisements

bjr1000

bjr1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Thanks for the update bjr  :thumbsup:

It depends on the brand of BIOS what the beep patterns mean but the info at paws link which is Compaq specific does point towards memory issues.

Should have asked earlier, do you at any time get anything on the screen, the Compaq logo for example.

Some info on a different brand of BIOS;

No beep = Power supply or system board problem
Continuous beep = Power supply, system board, or keyboard problem

Do you have a USB type keyboard that you can test the notebook/present RAM with, this just to rule out another possibility while waiting on the new RAM.

hi phill,

wiith no sticks fitted there is a blank screen.

the power light flashes on and off; and wireless light solid orange 

with no.1 stick fitted into top slot compaq logo appears on screen; when refitted to bottom slot there is a blank screen.

with no.2 stick fitted in top or bottom slots the compaq logo appears .

no bios info shows on screen.

i do not have a usb keyboard

bj

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Thanks for the additional info bjr  :thumbsup:

The results of inserting the RAM into each slot are pretty hit and miss I`m afraid as all it basically shows is that slot two has a problem with one of the memory sticks, you cannot do anymore now until the new memory arrives.

JAFYI: The reason why I asked if you got anything on the screen at all, if you got nothing at all you could have been looking at MB or CPU failure, getting the Compaq logo is a positive sign for the CPU, it does not prove that the MB is in 100% working order but it does go some way towards it being functional.

BIOS information is not always displayed on the screen and you may need to press the Tab key after powering up the computer to be able to see it, this would not work if the keyboard is faulty or has been disabled somehow.

To access the BIOS itself;

Press F10 while the cursor in the top right corner of the screen is blinking.

Older Compaq computers may use the F1, F2, F10, or Del key to give access to the BIOS.

bjr1000

bjr1000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Thanks for the additional info bjr  :thumbsup:

The results of inserting the RAM into each slot are pretty hit and miss I`m afraid as all it basically shows is that slot two has a problem with one of the memory sticks, you cannot do anymore now until the new memory arrives.

JAFYI: The reason why I asked if you got anything on the screen at all, if you got nothing at all you could have been looking at MB or CPU failure, getting the Compaq logo is a positive sign for the CPU, it does not prove that the MB is in 100% working order but it does go some way towards it being functional.

BIOS information is not always displayed on the screen and you may need to press the Tab key after powering up the computer to be able to see it, this would not work if the keyboard is faulty or has been disabled somehow.

To access the BIOS itself;

Press F10 while the cursor in the top right corner of the screen is blinking.

Older Compaq computers may use the F1, F2, F10, or Del key to give access to the BIOS.

thanks phill

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

You are welcome bjr  :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not heard back from you bjr, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.