Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Background Programme Blocking Servers .....

• Please log in to reply

Ditch

Ditch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

" Not Found

The requested URL /download/HostsXpert.zip was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

That's what I get the moment I touch the FunkyToad link.

What space / time continuum do you inhabit, RKinner? It's pushing dangerously close to 03:00, with me. Another hour and I'll be hallucinating! :laughing:

No worries. I'll reappear in twelve more.

Is FF working better? :headscratch:  That's actually a trickier one than I'd blandly answer. See, it's like rabies. I have these periods of complete lucidity, where I can actually discuss my last episode. Then ....? Bang! All [bleep] lets loose, and I'm thrashing and gnashing.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,001 posts
  • MVP

I'm in Colorado.  Mountain Daylight time.  It's only a bit after 8 here.  Go to bed.  There's no hurry on my end.

Looks like Funkytoad is out of business.  You can get Hostsxperts from http://www.majorgeek...hostsxpert.html,  Click on [email protected]  (either one).  The download will start.  Just wait until it's done.  Don't fill out any forms or rescue the Bunny

Ditch

Ditch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Untitled_zpsx3p9tg6e.jpg

That's what I have, on my desk top.

And, yes; I'm touching nothing else. Not tonight. (Okay. Maybe a sneaky run of my favourite Saw Doctors number, if I can? That leaves me furry)

But, yeah. Gone 03:30 here. I take it you're, what? 20:00 +. That or 08:00 +.  Did I ever say I was the sharpest tool in the box? :unsure:

Excellent. I'll now go away. For a bit. Thankyou!

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,001 posts
  • MVP

Hit Restore MS Hosts file.  About this time you should get a popup from Avira if it's still active.

If you can talk Avira into letting you change it then Make Read/Only and Close HostsXpert.  (You can open it again to make sure that the change took effect.  The www.007guard.com entry should be gone (along with the 15572 other entries).

Ditch

Ditch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Okay. Back in the saddle.  Horribly sober and, thus, probably more scared of this than before :P

Pressed what ye said. Got this:

1_zpsxpu0einr.jpg

Now, Avira is more than welcome to go away, as far as I'm concerned.  If it's making counter demands to what we're trying to do here? It's welcome to be gone.

Can I not just to to Control Panel and sling it? It's listed there, so seemingly accessible.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,001 posts
  • MVP

Sorry for the delay - was out playing tourist.

I don't work with Avira so don't know how to tell it to do things.  Let's put my favorite on for now.

Click on Download then choose the free version.
Uninstall Avira.

Reboot.

Right click on the avast installer and Run As Admin.

(Some times they want to also install Chrome or Google Toolbar or (after the first reboot) Dropbox.  Just uncheck them if they offer)

Then once it updates since it must be getting late for you let's let it run its famous boot-time scan while you sleep.

Open Avast, Scan, Scan for Viruses, Change the Quick Scan (in the box in the center of the page) to Boot-time Scan.  Then at the bottom of the page click on Scan Settings.

Make sure both boxes are checked and click on the gray box to the right of the orange ones.  It should turn orange.  Change where it says "Fix Automatically" to "Move to
Chest."  OK.  Now click on Start and then close Avast.  Mute your speakers so it doesn't wake you up when Windows boots.

When you reboot you will see the scan start.  It will tell you where it saves its log.  Usually it's C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report\aswBoot.txt but it might change so verify the location.   This is a hidden location so you will need to tell Windows to let you see it:

Copy and paste the text from the log to a Reply when done.

Ditch

Ditch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Sorry for the delay - was out playing tourist.

I don't work with Avira so don't know how to tell it to do things.  Let's put my favorite on for now.

Click on Download then choose the free version.
Uninstall Avira.

Reboot.

Right click on the avast installer and Run As Admin.

(Some times they want to also install Chrome or Google Toolbar or (after the first reboot) Dropbox.  Just uncheck them if they offer)

Did that.  Ended up with this:

Untitled_zpskawes059.jpg

Where's this 'Boot Time Scan' come into it?  Come to that; What should I tell it, for now, please? I'm up for an hour or two yet.

Ditch

Ditch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

No idea where the italics came from, above? 

It's just thrown me this:

Untitled1_zpslsruqckp.jpg

Either way, I'm leaving this machine running, till we sort out what I'm to do with all this. Can't trust myself to touch anything.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,001 posts
  • MVP

Forgot they had started that nonsense.  You can let it update the two programs.  If you tell it to Resolve all it will do what it can with the free version then ask if you want to upgrade.  When you say no then it should eventually let you go to the scan for viruses page which looks like this:

avscan.jpg

Ditch

Ditch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

K. First step it that it's, interestingly, found Avira! Thought I'd just got shot of that?!

Back, presently.

Colorado? Famous, to me, for its toads :yes:  I used to keep and breed amphibians (Seriously!) I attended a national sale, one time. I just missed buying a mature pair of Colorado River Toads. Never forgotten that / them.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,001 posts
  • MVP

Maybe you need the removal tool:

https://www.avira.co...detail/kbid/902

I'm just in Colorado for the summer.  Trying to get out of the heat.  I'm in Winter Park at 8900' (2712 meters) and it certainly worked to get out of the heat.  We left FL 86 F (30 C) and arrived here on March 15th in a blizzard.  Most of the snow is gone now except on the mountain tops and it's sunny and the highs are now around 68 F (20C).  '

Haven't seen any toads at all.  Did see some prairie dogs today.

Ditch

Ditch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Edited by Ditch, 01 June 2016 - 04:15 PM.

Ditch

Ditch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Edited by Ditch, 01 June 2016 - 04:14 PM.

Ditch

Ditch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

We have This now. Seem to have it for the foreseeable future too. 

Untitled_zpsfgyo1rir.jpg

I'll leave the machine running, overnight. I should be horizontal in the next hour of posting this. Bummer that I won't be sat here, to click further actions.

For the record? I was AFK much of today. But, my primary experience was click and hang. Tonight? I've been chatting in that Slack chat room, all night. No Problemmo.  But, what we've done, today, shouldn't have impacted on that?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,001 posts
  • MVP

hit the skip button.