Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

White Smoke after PC Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Skyfer

Skyfer

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I upgraded my build to this:
CORE i5-6600 Skylake
MSI B150M MORTAR
2x Kingston 8GB DDR4 2133MHz Value RAM
KINGSTON HYPERX SAVAGE 240GB SATA3 SSD (Windows 10 here)
4x SATA HDD - MAINTAINED FROM PREVIOUS!
ATI Radeon™ HD 5770 - MAINTAINED FROM PREVIOUS!
Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W - MAINTAINED FROM PREVIOUS!

What happened after power on: White smoke -> When enter Windows 10, only the SSD was able to be read.

What should I do?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Does the PC see the missing Harddrives in its BIOS/CMOS set up?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Also  if the missing drives show up in BIOS/CMOS then in Windows:

Search for Device Manager and hit Enter

View, Show Hidden Devices

Look in the right pane for yellow flagged devices.  Right click on each yellow device and  select Properties.  Click on the Details Tab.  Change the Property to Hardware IDs.  Select the top line then right click and Copy.  Paste it into a reply.

Skyfer

Skyfer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Does the PC see the missing Harddrives in its BIOS/CMOS set up?

I'm not sure, but it sees the "missing" drives here:

Untitled.png

Also  if the missing drives show up in BIOS/CMOS then in Windows:

Search for Device Manager and hit Enter

View, Show Hidden Devices

Look in the right pane for yellow flagged devices.  Right click on each yellow device and  select Properties.  Click on the Details Tab.  Change the Property to Hardware IDs.  Select the top line then right click and Copy.  Paste it into a reply.

For Windows:

2016_05_31.png

2016_05_31_1.png

Do I still require to check BIOS/CMOS?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Looks like the BIOS must know about them but I would check it anyway.  Perhaps it has locked them out for some reason.

In Device Manager, right click on one of the missing drives and Uninstall it then reboot and see if anything changes.

In Device Manager, open up the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.  I expect you have more than one.  See if their properties say they are working.  Go to the resources tab and see if there is a conflict.

Open Disk Management:

http://www.isunshare...windows-10.html

Often it will see them.  Right click on one of them and see if you can get properties.

Skyfer

Skyfer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Looks like the BIOS must know about them but I would check it anyway.  Perhaps it has locked them out for some reason.

What do you think of this:

001.png

I'm guessing, I could be wrong, that the HDDs are mistaken as IDE. As for the BIOS, I do not know how to set them.

In Device Manager, right click on one of the missing drives and Uninstall it then reboot and see if anything changes.

Missing drives, which:

002.jpg

In Device Manager, open up the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.  I expect you have more than one.  See if their properties say they are working.  Go to the resources tab and see if there is a conflict.

I get this:

Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.

Shall I uninstall them & reboot?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

First check the settings in the registry:

http://www.askvg.com...alling-windows/

Then go into the BIOS.  See if there is an option for ACHI.  Or maybe ACHI/RAID. If it's set to ACHI/RAID perhaps ACHI will work better.  Pay attention to what you change it from so you can put it back. 

Skyfer

Skyfer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

First check the settings in the registry:

http://www.askvg.com...alling-windows/

Done, they were already at 0, except this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci

That folder isn't around.

Then go into the BIOS.  See if there is an option for ACHI.  Or maybe ACHI/RAID. If it's set to ACHI/RAID perhaps ACHI will work better.  Pay attention to what you change it from so you can put it back. 

It's already set to ACHI, however, the HDDs don't seem to be available...

Edited by Skyfer, 31 May 2016 - 01:02 PM.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

curious but when you powered on the psu for the first time did you actually see "white smoke" appear from somewhere off the motherboard?

if so then i'd say something burned out somewhere for some reason that may be the cause of your problem and why the drives don't show up in your bios/uefi.

if you saw "white smoke" from the psu then something may have burned out in there causing the motherboard not getting power in some places that needs it for the drives to be seen in the bios/uefi.

either way if you saw white smoke i think both the psu and motherboard would need to be tested on their own before going any further in trying to get things working.

:popcorn:

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

I think he was kidding about the smoke.  

I have an MSI mobo back in FL but if I remember correctly it was set at ACHI/Raid and it wasn't happy when I changed it to ACHI.  Won't hurt to experiment.

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

i wasn't sure and why i asked, if no smoke and the psu is capable of powering all his upgrades and the drives then i'm sure you'll get to the bottom of the driver/software problem. :spoton:

Skyfer

Skyfer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

curious but when you powered on the psu for the first time did you actually see "white smoke" appear from somewhere off the motherboard?

if so then i'd say something burned out somewhere for some reason that may be the cause of your problem and why the drives don't show up in your bios/uefi.

if you saw "white smoke" from the psu then something may have burned out in there causing the motherboard not getting power in some places that needs it for the drives to be seen in the bios/uefi.

either way if you saw white smoke i think both the psu and motherboard would need to be tested on their own before going any further in trying to get things working.

Well, after assembling and turning on the PC, the smoke protruded from above the case. After switching off the mains and opening the casing, I could no longer see any smoke, but the burnt smell was rather strong.

As of now, the PSU & motherboard seems to be working, along with the processor, RAM, SSD, etc. but not the 4 HDDs. I considered overload, but the only components I upgraded from my previous build are:

• motherboard
  • processor
  • 2x 8GB DDR4 RAM
  • replaced DVD Drive

I think he was kidding about the smoke.  

I have an MSI mobo back in FL but if I remember correctly it was set at ACHI/Raid and it wasn't happy when I changed it to ACHI.  Won't hurt to experiment.

I'll try that.

i wasn't sure and why i asked, if no smoke and the psu is capable of powering all his upgrades and the drives then i'm sure you'll get to the bottom of the driver/software problem. :spoton:

There was smoke, and how am I to get to the bottom of? Been searching for hours on SATA drivers for my MSI mobo to no avail. I did try installing chipsets etc. but still no detection.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

to be honest it sounds like the sata port controller burned out, what i'd do is remove the hard drives and then just connect the ssd only and test in what sata ports it actually works in and boots.

you may find you'll need to return the motherboard and get a replacement.

Skyfer

Skyfer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Ah, no need for that. This was what I did:

I changed my power supply, now everything is fine EXCEPT for:

- 1/4 of my HDD unable to be read completely, the ST3320613AS ATA HDD; the restincluding my SSD works fine.

What I found out: 

- One of my power cables was lightly burnt (changed to a new one)
 - My (previous) PSU was slightly damaged

I also have this problem: http://goo.gl/bjhaCJ

Edited by Skyfer, 04 June 2016 - 05:40 AM.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

that's good then, thought your motherboard might of had 2 sata controllers and 1 burnt out meaning you lose all ports connected to that controller yet the ports connected to the 2nd controller would still work.

now you've fixed the hardware problem though i'm sure rkinner will find it much easier to help you too. :D

i'll let him try and help you with the missing dll problem, he'll be much more knowledgeable than i am about how to fix a windows os problem like that and where to get the dll from so you can re-install it if necessary.

Edited by terry1966, 04 June 2016 - 10:24 AM.