Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Chrome Randomly Closed Once Shortly After Suspicious Outbound Traffic

Chrome Suspicious Outbound Traffic Browser Malware

• Please log in to reply

Alyssa Draco

Alyssa Draco

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I had a suspicious outbound traffic notification from Norton & a prompt to download Norton Power Eraser, after beginning to navigate away from a site that could not be reached. I downloaded it & had it scan for one of the advanced options. It brought up four or five files, two of which I left alone because it either involved the registry or I didn't know what it was, & I recall their being a warning regarding NPE that it can sometimes detect harmless files & that the fix can be undone. I'm really leery of taking the risk, even though Norton is a program & company I trust. I told it to fix the other two files, which according to looking them up, were considered potentially harmful, but it told me I needed to restart in order for it to take effect. That's no problem, but I was getting paranoid about not knowing whether or not, aside from those two files, that is was not just detecting harmless files unintentionally or was list a normal file's title, but it is infected. I removed NPE.

Several minutes later, Chrome randomly closed, with no notifications of a crash. It simply closed as if I closed it. I suppose I could have accidentally hit the X button, but I swear I didn't, & in the midst of mild panic, I don't recall how I moved my hand or where precisely where the cursor was. I'm currently running a full system scan as I type this, just to be safe. I know it is extremely unlikely, from what I gather, that Norton missed anything, but Chrome closing randomly & the suspicious outbound traffic notification has made me a little paranoid. May I get some advice & possible help with this, please? 

Edited by Alyssa Draco, 31 May 2016 - 11:10 PM.

Advertisements

Alyssa Draco

Alyssa Draco

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I just fought the paranoia & did scans with NPE, & it found no threats & the other concerns I had, one involving a repair not a suggested removal I forgot about, seems to have done no harm to my laptop.