Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop won't recognize USB flash drive

Best Answer zep516 , 04 June 2016 - 04:14 PM

Open the Device Manager and click on Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Expand the tree and uninstall the USB Host Controllers and restart the computer. This should replace the drivers. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

JohnGo

JohnGo

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

dell Inspiron 5555 (7 months old.)

My laptop stopped recognizing several flash drives in any USB port.  I can plug either flash drive into a different computer and it works fine.  Also, my wireless mouse transmitter will work in other  ports on the laptop. 

I plug in a flashdrive and go to device manager, USB controllers, and find a yellow triangle beside "mass storage device".  I unplug this and the mass storage device disappears. 

In the mass storage device properties, it reads under device status: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory-Code 38).  This is the same for several different flash drives in any port.

If someone has instructions on how to correct this, I would be thankful for help on this problem

Thank You,

John Go    

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Try running the Fix here,

https://support.micr...device_problems

Click the run now tab on that page.

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Sounds like theres a fault on the USB slots.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Reply to zep516   I get this message when I click the run tab: (We're sorry, but your operating system is not supported by Microsoft Fix it at this time).  I forgot to mention in my first post that I'm running win10

Reply to EmishOrc:  The wireless mouse works with the usb ports.  If there is a fault in the usb ports, would the wireless mouse continue to work?

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
✓  Best Answer
Open the Device Manager and click on Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

Expand the tree and uninstall the USB Host Controllers and restart the computer.

This should replace the drivers.

JohnGo

JohnGo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Yes, uninstalling the controllers solved the problem upon restart.  The flash drive is now recognized. 

Thank You.

JohnGo