Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nexus 7 padlock

• Please log in to reply

The old Submariner

The old Submariner

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

If anyone can answer this I would be extremely grateful.

Since first buying a Nexus 7 for my wife it has been excellent if not getting slower but working fine until a couple of days ago when it decided not to go online  and to put a padlock next to our home hub icon.  I have done a factory reset not once but three times in the hope that it would take it right back to when it had no wi-fi set up on it at all.  It displays about six or seven other wi-fi icons which also have the padlock showing next to each one.  There is also one "BTwifi with Fon" whatever that means but that is clear and able to use but it isn't a secure connection so I don't use it.

My Home Hub Wifi  is showing but each time I try to connect  it comes up with "Failure to connect".

So my big question is a/ why all of a sudden am I locked out, and b/ how do I clear all the padlocks especially on my chosen home hub ?

Regards

Graham

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi Graham,

If you have performed a factory reset then this will have cleared your wireless key from your Nexus, and therefore it will no longer connect to your BT Home Hub until you input the wireless key again.

Ignore the reference in the list of wif fi signals available that is labelled BT fon ( this is Not what you need to connect.)

Find the SSID of your BT Home Hub ( it will be on a paper label on the back or bottom of your BT Home Hub and it will be called something like:

BT Home Hub3 (and then some numbers/letters)... This is the SSID

If you have a more modern BT Home Hub it will have a plastic "slide in piece" with the information on slotted into the top of the Home Hub and may be called BT Home Hub 5 it doesn't matter what you have, just be sure that on the Nexus you are connecting to the right one!

Note: your neighbours may also have a BT Home Hub with a different SSID so make sure you are trying to connect to yours rather than theirs!)

The wireless key will be shown underneath the SSID and will be some numbers and characters.... this is the wireless key that your Nexus needs to connect to your Home Hub and thence to the Internet.

Good luck!

Regards

paws