Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will my power supply support this graphics card? (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 07 June 2016 - 08:01 AM

philbert2501 Did you forget that you started a thread here regarding repairing or replacing your present video card as you have yet to acknowledge either reply. Sorry, app... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

philbert2501

philbert2501

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

So the graphics card that came with my prebuilt machine crapped out on me, and I need to get a replacement. I'm looking at the EVGA GeForce GT 730 2GB which should be plenty for my needs (not much gaming, some Photoshop/Lightroom use). The problem is that I'm not sure if the power supply can handle it. The card says it requires a minimum 300 watts and a "minimum of 20 Amp on the +12 volt rail". I have no idea what this means. I googled this spec and found a lot of explanations, which I only kind of understand. One thing I found said that to find the number of amps, I would divide the number of watts actually supplied to the 12 volt rail by 12. It appears that this one has 360 watts going to the rail, which would give me 30 amps, right? If that's really all there is to it, it appears that there should have no problem. But how do I know if my power supply can handle this card with my other components? I don't have anything crazy, just a couple of hard drives and an optical drive. I'll attach a picture of the label on my power supply, if anyone can help me figure this out I would greatly appreciate it.

power supply.jpg

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Their website says you need a minimum of 300W PSU.  Yours is 460W so I don't see a problem.  One of the reviews on Amazon says they have it working with a 260 W PSU.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

philbert2501

Did you forget that you started a thread here regarding repairing or replacing your present video card as you have yet to acknowledge either reply.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

looks like that psu has 3 x 12v rails, 15amp, 18amp, 10amp, so i'd suggest sharing the load from more than a single 12v cable from the psu to the graphics card and then you should be fine.

:popcorn:

philbert2501

philbert2501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

philbert2501

Did you forget that you started a thread here regarding repairing or replacing your present video card as you have yet to acknowledge either reply.

Sorry, apparently I did. I've been ill the last few days and I've been sort of in and out, and I was trying to get something done while I'm home sick. I remember starting to write that post but I don't remember finishing or submitting it. My apologies for that. 

philbert2501

philbert2501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

looks like that psu has 3 x 12v rails, 15amp, 18amp, 10amp, so i'd suggest sharing the load from more than a single 12v cable from the psu to the graphics card and then you should be fine.

Does it not draw power through the PCI slot? 

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

no idea i didn't check, but because you said

The card says it requires a minimum 300 watts and a "minimum of 20 Amp on the +12 volt rail".

i assumed the card needed a dedicated 12v connection like most cards besides the pci-e power, but after a quick search it looks like your correct and it only draws power from the pci-e connection, so even though the max rail is only 18Amp on your psu you may still be able to run it anyway because they usually over state a cards power requirements just to cover themselves but there is no guarantee.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
✓  Best Answer

philbert2501

Sorry, apparently I did. I've been ill the last few days and I've been sort of in and out, and I was trying to get something done while I'm home sick. I remember starting to write that post but I don't remember finishing or submitting it. My apologies for that. 

No need for any apology as it was what I suspected may have happened  :thumbsup:

Some info for you regarding amps on the +12V rails and how to calculate them etc;

To calculate the amps that a PSU should be able to supply you need to check what the maximum claimed power output of the PSU is** and then divide that figure by 12, using your PSUs claimed output of 460W as an example it should be capable of supplying a minimum of 38 amps on the +12V rail.

It is the total capacity of the 12V source that matters and how the rails are laid out does not matter.

** Not all PSUs are actually capable of producing the maximum claimed output and that is why efficiency rated PSUs are advisable.