Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet connection with desktop PC

• Please log in to reply

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Hey there,

I wanted to ask a question about wireless network(Wi-Fi) on my desktop PC. I recently moved to another location and I took my desktop PC with me of course, we have a Wi-Fi here but I can't connect to it with my desktop PC, I even brought my DSL(modem) with me but doesn't seem to work or I am not sure how to enable it..Is it possible to connect to Wi-Fi with my desktop PC and DSL I've brought without buying an USB wi-fi adapter?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Added a info pic of my DSL modem

Attached Thumbnails

• SNC00717.jpg

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Please explain your current setup.  

You say you have WiFi.  Is that without the modem in your picture?  

At your old location did you connect the desktop directly to the modem with a USB cable? (Desktop does not have its own builtin WiFi)  

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Hey there,

Let's say we're 2 people living here. He has internet with wi-fi enabled plus sharing it and I am the 2nd person living on the other floor. He allows me to connect to his wi-fi so this is what I do with this laptop. But my main PC(desktop PC) is without internet because I can't connect to the wi-fi.So I've brought my old modem from the last spot I lived at and tried connecting but didn't work. At my previous home I had this dsl modem with ADSL cable/power cable/ethernet cable and it all worked fine. But here there's no ADSL cable so I guess it won't work. My questio was: Can I do something or I just need to buy a USB wi-fi stick to connect to my neighbor's internet(wi-fi)?

Shortly saying: There's a wireless internet in the building available and I want to connect to it with my desktop PC

Thanks in advance

Edited by zapuxas098, 07 June 2016 - 11:00 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Not sure.  You could do Internet Connection Sharing with the laptop but it would need to be on for that to work and you would have to run an Ethernet cable between it and the desktop.  http://windows.micro...nection-sharing

You can try connecting your old modem to your desktop then log in to the modem.  Put in the WiFi password and perhaps change the SSID to the same as your neighbor.  Not sure if two WiFi Sources can connect that way tho.  If it does then change the ip address of the old modem to one within the range of those used by your neighbor and  the default gateway to your neighbor's router.  Turn off DHCP on your modem.  You might get lucky.  Some routers have a bridge mode which specifically allows this but as yours is special purpose it's probably not going to work.  http://www.connected...reless-routers/

Easiest, as I'm sure you suspect, is to buy a USB WiFi adapter.  I've used several of these:  Edimax EW-7811Un 150Mbps 11n Wi-Fi USB Adapter.  They are less than $10 and do the job.  If your signal is weak you might need one with an antenna:  AllSmartLife® USB Wireless Adapter, USB Wireless Network/LAN Dongle Adapter - also under $10 at Amazon.

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I've tried the first one, connecting via ethernet cable, my laptop and PC, all works very well. The cable is indeed a bit problematic but it's fine though.
Well, the second option, I've tried changing the name, putting the password but didn't really work. The guide you've sent me is quite complicated, might need some time and might still not work. So I'll enjoy the cable mode for now, might just buy the usb wifi stick in the near future, it isn't expensive, yeah, so why not. The signal is fine, 4 bars out of 5, so all good.
Thank you once again, I might ask some questions in the future, as for now, good bye!

Sincerely,
The helped person

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

I got another problem regarding this wi-fi topic. I've made my laptop to share internet to my main PC through the cable but I am having random disconnections on my main PC(Laptop keeps going fine with the internet 24/7). So I wonder can it be the cable? Or am I missing some options..

zapuxas098

zapuxas098

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Oh I noticed that the internet disappears on both computers including laptop. Once I unplug ethernet cable, I see "snowflake" on my laptop's main internet source and it insta connects to it again. But I need to replug the ethernet cable each 5 mins or so. Can it be that the internet goes "to sleep" somehow on my laptop while using the ethernet cable or so?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Yes. Often the adapter is allowed to shutdown to save power. Right click on (My) Computer on each and select Manage then Device Manager (On Win 8 & 10,Search for Device manager and hit Enter) then click on the + or arrow in front of Network Adapter you will see your network Adapter.  Right click on it and select Properties then Power Management.  Uncheck Allow the Computer to turn off this device to save power.  OK.  Do that for all network adapters on each PC.