Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Threatening Ads

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Please move this note to the appropriate sub-forum.

After replacing a router today I was immediately bombarded with this threatening warning (see screen shot attached). A voice over said I was infected with a (particular virus) and that my computer would be destroyed in 1 hour and 34 minutes unless I called the number shown immediately. On calling the telephone number I was told by a foreign-sounding agent that I was talking to  "Microsoft engineers at Tech 247." At that point I hung up and did not get the rest of his pitch.

I did do an Avast scan and found I had no viruses.

I am pretty sure this was a fraud. Is there nothing that can be done to shut down these vultures? Who ought to be notified of these attacks? What do other G-t-Gers do when these pp up?  ...batpark

Attached Thumbnails

• threatad.png

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 19,800 posts
  • MVP

I expect I never see them because I always have the adblock plus extension on any browser I use.  adblockplus.org  I went to your politico.com site and it blocked 14 ads.  

As to what to do, you should report them to the website you are visiting so that they know one of their advertisers is dirty.

I would try this guy:

ADVERTISING
Marc Sames
[email protected]

Send him your screenshot.

batpark

batpark

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Rkinner: Thanks for your post. I took your advice: I wrote to the site (Politico.com) and I installed Adblocker.  ... batpark

rainyXP

rainyXP

Freshman

• GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

An alternative to adblockplus is uBlock Origin.

Read this for reasons why you may want uBlock instead of adblockplus. Mainly:

By default, it won’t block certain advertisements from Google, Microsoft, and other big companies because they’ve paid for the privilege to have some of their ads remain unblocked.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 19,800 posts
  • MVP

Yes but AdBlock Plus let's you opt out and then it blocks everything.  Click on the stop sign then on Options then uncheck Allow some non-intrusive advertising.

rainyXP

rainyXP

Freshman

• GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

There is also a debate about their memory usages with Adblock Plus often said to be more resource intensive.

Here, Here, here, among other places:)

Techonation

Techonation

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Well, you can use the ublock origin which better than Adblock plus in most of the departments. Check the comparison between these 2 ad blockers here.

rainyXP

rainyXP

Freshman

• GeekU Sophomore
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Well, you can use the ublock origin which better than Adblock plus in most of the departments. Check the comparison between these 2 ad blockers here.

This topic is over a year old, I think OP got the advice he was looking for a while ago:)

Paramjot35

Paramjot35

• Pip
  • 1 posts

According to me, you should use uBlock origin which is one of the best adblockers. It is also better than Adblock plus. You can read this post for a depth information - uBlock origin vs AdBlock Plus Comparison.

Edited by Paramjot35, 21 September 2017 - 12:23 AM.

thisispnkj

thisispnkj

• Pip
  • 1 posts

The best way to get rid of Threatning Ads is Adblocker. You can use AdBlock extension for Chrome to block Ads. You can download adblocker directly from http://rdxtricks.com...fy-premium-apk/