Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Before a clean install of Win 10...

- - - - - Moving data from C: to D: ...

• Please log in to reply

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Before I say anything else, a mounting problem for me is that I'm autistic.  Actually, it's ASPERGER SYNDROME.  ("High functioning autism.")  It's a communication disorder that makes it hard for me to understand what people are saying to me.  I hear things like a simple computer does.  Anything implied, I may miss.  If I didn't know what a car was, and you called it a "car," and then an "automobile," I might not know if you were talking about the same thing!  And in addition to Asperger's, I have very poor eyesight.  I won't bore you with all the other fun stuff that keeps me from functioning properly because the list is way too long!  :(

I'm not looking for tea and sympathy.  I'm just looking for help with an "almost" clean install of Windows 10!  :)  An Asperger is someone who's brain works a lot like a simple computer... with very little RAM!  My workaround for this is to do things in small "baby-steps."  Otherwise the data being input to my brain just falls apart, leaving me high 'n' dry, unable to complete the given task at hand.  :(

On another forum, I did ask particular questions... like "what box do I check on the second screen of this app?"  But every response was more of an overview of a complete process... or I was shown or directed toward a tutorial.  I went to the forum because I was having trouble understanding tutorials.  What sounds very simple to a normal human being, can sound almost like jibberish to me!  Plus there's the problem of my poor eyesight.  I can't see any text on my screen without the Windows magnifier.  So when I'm viewing a tutorial, it's often very hard for me to see where the cursor is being moved.  

Whatever!

Enough!

I need help with moving files and applications from my C: drive to my D: drive.  Just manually moving stuff is not the best way for me because I don't really know what's safe to move and what isn't.  I wanted to only keep the OS plus some games on the C: drive... but my wife continually saved stuff to that drive, (a small SSD), using up precious space!  I'd also like to move my games plus the game-provider, (Steam), to the D: drive).  

I was told to use a program called MACRIUM REFLECT to move that stuff.  But that program is meant for backing up and re-backing up files... so the tutorials seemed to be more complicated than they needed to be for what I wanna do at this point.

Can anybody explain to me how I can move files from the C: drive to the D: drive, so they will still be on my system after Win 10 is installed.  After the new OS is up and running, and new drivers are installed, then I can start tackling the problem of continually backing up things over time.

Although Asperger's can be a super-power, (I learned all the basic guitar chords in one night.)  (I just figured them out)... for me, Asperger's is more of a disability.  :(  Getting the help I need with my computer can be a daunting task!  People don't understand, nor include disability, (of any kind), on their list of "oppressed groups."   

I'd really appreciate it totally if someone could please help me through this.  I'm running Windows 8.1 right now, and it's horrible!  Files disappear, and can't be found!  Totally YUCKY!

Yeah... I wish I could get a new brain like the Frankenstein monster did in one of those old movies but I can dream, can't I?!  :)

Advertisements

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Hi Goggleplex :),

I understand your point of view about the disability, so I have some very simple questions for you now.

Do you have a PC that you want to upgrade to Windows 10?

Or you want to replace one of the hard drives of your existing PC without upgrading?

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

I have a PC that I want to upgrade to Windows 10.  I don't want to replace any hard drives.  :)

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
What is the current version of Windows you are running?

Only Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 can upgrade for free to Windows 10.

To upgrade to Windows 10, you need to install all of the available updates from Windows Update.

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
What happened?

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

I'll be away from my PC for a few more days.  Then I can continue trying to understand how to move files from the C drive and stuff.  In the meantime I'll be looking at Win 10 on my little Mac laptop so I'll know what to expect when I get it on the PC.  :)

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
I'm a Windows Insider since the beginning of the program, so i can assure you that Windows 10 is a good OS.

Macrium Reflect is a program which is used for full disk imaging. Let me explain that. You can make an exact copy of the disk that you have right now as a backup in case anything happens while Windows 10 clean install. You cannot use it to move files from one partition to another.

You need to tell me what partitions you have on your disk. Do you have 2 disks or just one disk with multiple partitions?

If you have more than one disk, for what exactly do you want to use each one?

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Hello Monica Dawson :)

Please note that the user asked for help with a clean install of Windows 10. The instructions that you have posted are for a regular upgrade of Windows 8 to Windows 10. Let's wait for a response from the user.

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

OK I'm currently away from my PC.  And now I won't be back for another week or so... and time is getting short.... and I'm getting more nervous with each day!    

So I think I'll have to take a different tack for now, and do a regular install at first, and then, reinstall Win 10 as a clean install later.  Otherwise I may miss the deadline, and lose the free install privilege.  

But even a regular install will be difficult for me because of my poor eyesight, (low vision).  And trying the clean install right away will mean very slow going due to my eyesight.

I have a few "silly" questions.  

*Is it possible for me to just download Win 10 but not install it?  So if I run over the deadline, I'll at least have the new OS and can install it later?  And if I just download it, where am I putting it?  

*Is it possible for me to do the regular install directly onto the PC instead of using extra installation media?

My original plan was as follows:

Because I can't see any text on the PC screen without the Windows Magnifier, (and the installation will take me out of Windows, [and the magnifier will disappear]), my original plan was to run a video on my little Mac laptop, of the clean installation because the magnifier on THAT computer will, of course be there through the whole process.  Then I can read the text on the laptop, hoping it's the same as what's appearing on the PC.  (And just in case the video is different from what's on the PC, I was trying to learn as much as I could about the whole thing so maybe I'll know what to do if that occurs.

One more thing.

The steps for the regular install don't start at the beginning.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you both for you kind help.  :)

Oh, I see that Microsoft will upgrade my computer even if I have not backed up and without installation media.  That's not good.  I stopped the automatic upgrade with "NEVER 10," before I left home.  If this post is ridiculously wordy and all over the place, chalk it up to the fact that my brain doesn't work right... and just ignore it.  When I get back home, I'll just need help getting Win 10, regular, and then later, the clean install.  Or maybe it'll turn out that there's time for the clean install right away.  I donno at this point.  

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Hi Googleplex :)

If you have Windows 7/8/8.1 currently installed, then you can upgrade for free till 29th July. The upgrade process will not affect your personal files, will keep almost all of your settings and will keep all or almost all of your installed Desktop programs. Your Modern apps which are installed from the Windows Store will be replaced by Windows 10 versions. If some Desktop program is not compatible and has been removed, you will be promptly notified about this. If something happens in the upgrade process your computer can be returned to previous Windows version in a 30 day period. However it is still good to backup your important personal files to a USB, online file store service (like OneDrive, Google Drive, DropBox etc.).

Clean install on the other side removes absolutely everything from the OS drive (partition) and other partitions. To save personal files located on different partitions you have to explicitly select to format just the partition where Windows is installed or it will format all partitions. Desktop apps installed on other than the Windows partition will almost 100% need to be reinstalled.

Advertisements

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

This is new to me!  I thought a clean install would only wipe the partition with the OS on it!  

Could you tell me what you mean when you say "partition?"

I have 3 physical drives.  The C:\ drive is a smaller SSD with the OS on it plus the few games I use with the application Steam.  In Macrium, that drive shows up as 2 partitions I think.  I was able to select either, (I think it said), "System Reserved," ..............................or another "section" with just data on it.

The D:\ drive and the E:\ drive, (spinning drives, 1TB each), has only one partition for each drive.  And only the D:\ drive has some data plus applications on it.  The E:\ drive has nothing on it yet.  It's formatted though.  

I have a 1TB external drive where I could put my 30GB worth of stuff if I can manage to get the drive to work.  It has a FireWire cable... but I have no FireWire port on my computer.  So I thought I could get a FireWire to USB adapter but I'm told it may not work.  I'm not at home right now so I called up a picture of the back of the external drive, and there seems to be a USB 2.0 port on the back.  At least that's what it says under the port.  But the port looks very different from a standard USB port.  After looking for a very long time, I did find what looks like it could be a picture of this strange USB port online but since I donno how to work a Mac, I can't send the picture.

..................................................

|.....                                     .....|

|    o  o  o  o  o  o  o  o  |

|.....................................|            

I'm gonna try to learn how to make a screen shot on this Mac but magnification on this Mac is extremely yucky so I donno if I'll be successful.  I don't have any other way of backing up my files.  I can't pay for anything.  

If you know what kind of "USB" port I'm talking about, can you please tell what it's called so I can find it more easily.  The external drive is called a "G Drive." (1TB)  Made by "G Technology."  I went to their site but my eyesight isn't strong enough for me to find the chat window I found on the PC.  I'll be stopping off at my apartment tomorrow and I'll have a look at the back of the drive just to make sure.  

If I can get the right connector, then I'll back up my 30GB of data... and I'll put the Win 10 OS on a thumb drive I have if I need to use installation media for the regular install.                                                      

Well............. Things can get complicated when you find yourself not playin' with a full deck.  :)              

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
How to take a screenshot on a Mac

You can just give me the address of the image or the make and model of the external hard disk.

I believe your best option is to just regularly upgrade to Windows 10. Do you have a specific reason why you want to make a clean install?

Your external hard disk can be used to store a full image of your current OS drive so you can go back in case anything happens during the upgrade, but the upgrade experience is pretty much safe and will rollback in case anything bad happens. I am an Insider and there were some Preview builds which were someway broken and this has happened to me, maybe 5-6 times my PC was automatically rollbacked to previous build. You can also rollback to previous OS 30 days after the upgrade anytime you want.

Please download Speccy from HERE and install it. Then, run Speccy and wait for about 2 minutes till it analyzes your system. Then click on "FIle" -> "Publish Snapshot" -> click on "Yes". Copy the link to the snapshot in your clipboard and paste the link inside your next post. You are free to uninstall the program through Control Panel after that.

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Screen Shot 2016-06-17 at 4.19.28 PM.png The only reason I wanted to do a clean install is my system is running slower and slower.  I now have to wait while the computer searches for a simple file, where it used to happen instantly.  The computer is about 2 years old.  I sought out help in trying to clean out some of all the malware that collects over time but after a long while of installing "this and that" program to fix things, nothing happened.  I'm gonna have to learn how to wipe the system after backing up, sooner or later.  I suspect it's the only way to "really" get rid of all the malware and what-not that accumulates over time.  

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
You mentioned malware, do you have any suspicions of malware infection of your PC right now? When and where you have asked for help? What is your current antivirus program, you might want to run a full scan with it just to check. Please note that more often than not PCs become slower not because of malware, but because of installed programs and accumulated junk.

You might check CCleaner.

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
This is a minuUSB, you can just use the cable from the charger of your phone. If you can connect your phone to the PC with the cable from your charger, then you can use that same cable for the USB2.0 for your external hard drive. If that is slow, then maybe your external hard drive has some instructions about different ways to connect it to a computer.

Edited by MystiqueWolf, 18 June 2016 - 10:00 AM.