Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Before a clean install of Win 10...

- - - - - Moving data from C: to D: ...

• Please log in to reply

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Please understand that this is not an angry post!  I'm just trying to explain my situation.  I'm freaked out and scared.  I appreciate that there are some people that are willing to try and help me!  :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to make sure that there is at least some functionality to the Windows magnifier, let me describe in detail, what I have now in Windows 8.1. 

*The magnifier follows me as I type or move the cursor with the arrow keys, in FIREFOX, and in WORDPAD and in NOTEPAD... and in SOME USER MANUALS... and in WORD PERFECT. 

*The magnifier can be resized easily by placing the cursor on its border and dragging.  

*The magnifier can be moved to any position on the screen by placing the cursor anywhere inside the magnifier and dragging.

That it doesn't work for everything, is yucky but I get by with that level of functionality.  Could you please look at the magnifier and see if it at least has that functionality?

Playing around with something tells you little or nothing about whether it works for people who really need it.  I devised a method of rhythmic speaking for stutterers, to try and help a friend who had a rather bad stuttering problem.  I remember telling him how easy it would be to use... and how he would be cured if he could learn my system!  I had trouble understanding why he was having so much trouble using my miraculous "cure..."  until I had to take a certain medicine, and I began stuttering as well!  When I tried to use my method of stopping the stuttering, I realized the workaround was nearly impossible to use!!!  My friend  told me that the only benefit he got from the system was that he could now tell a telephone operator his phone number without stuttering.  (Many stutterers can get around the stuttering by "saying something else," but you can't change you're phone number in order to do that!  :) 

Most people think if you have trouble seeing, what you need is for things to be larger!  But that's totally untrue!  There are many different kinds of visual impairments.  I didn't have to enlarge my notes for a radio show I did years ago here in New York.  I just stretched the text out in an art program on my little Mac.  Of course this only worked in the radio studio.  I only redd part of the text... to remind me what questions to ask my guests.  It won't work with what I do on a computer.  Different people need different fixes!  The answer is to always ADD functionality!  Never take features AWAY!  This way you can reach more and more people.  The LENSE mode sounds like it was devised by people who have no visual impairment at all.  (Admittedly, I could be wrong about that), but the biggest problem with LENSE mode for me is, it's nothing like using a real magnifying glass... because you can't look UNDER it!  I tried it, and continually got lost on the screen!  It was almost as bad as FULL SCREEN!  In FULL SCREEN, it's like looking for you're car in a giant parking lot after you forgot where you parked!  I need to be able to see the unmagnified screen as well as the magnified, in order to tell where I am on the screen.  My iPhone has this!  But, of course, it doesn't work!!!!!!  :)    

I also have a movement disorder... making it difficult to move the mouse in certain ways.  Having to move it along a line of text, in order to read something is very difficult for me! 

And one of the characteristics of my eye condition is involuntary eye movements.  I have to keep the magnifier DOCKED, at the bottom of the screen so I can look DOWN at it.  This way, I can reduce the involuntary eye movements.  And in order for me to keep looking directly at the strip of magnified text, it has to be a wide strip stretching all the way across the screen.  Only 1 or 2 lines of text fit in the strip so my eyes don't wander too far from what I'm reading.  And if I can't see what I'm typing, for some mysterious reason, I make typo after typo.  When I had my Mac 128 back in the 1980's, I went for years thinking it said "Get Into," on a menu on the screen, (when it really said, "Get Info")!  I'm an artist.  In Adobe Illustrator, I often use the magnifier to draw.  The magnifier follows my pen, making it possible for me to create stuff.  All through school I wished for stuff like this!  A machine that would read text books for me!  Little did I know that in the "future," this beautiful machinery would continually fail, leaving me high and dry, over and over again... sometimes for years!

Would it be possible for me to run 2 operating systems on my computer?  Can I install Windows 10, but keep Windows 8.1 until Microsoft gets around to fixing this thing that will lock many people out of their computers for who knows how long?

I'm totally freaked out by this!  I was already blown away when I found out that I couldn't get help installing Win 10 without a magnifier!  And now I find that the magnifier will be gone for who knows how long.  :(   

Thank you for taking the time to read this.  I really really really really appreciate your help.  And that goes for everyone who is helping me get through this.  Thanks.  :)

Advertisements

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Hi there! :)

Now.... don't worry, it was my mistake. I tested it just in Chrome and it doesn't word, BUT.... i installed Firefox and it works awesome as far as i think. Just check all of the options from my previous screenshots. Also works in Microsoft Edge browser, in Word, Wordpad, Notepad. In docked and full screen mode but not in lense (which by the way wouldn't make any sense). You can press Ctrl + Alt + Space to show the whole screen for about 3-4 seconds when in full screen mode, but doesn't work in docked mode. However, you can resize docked mode. The upgrade process is just updating the PC and restarting, then 1-2 hours upgrading on automatic and logging into your new Windows 10. Clean install will be very challenging for you IMO even without the disability you have. Just uninstall all unused programs and upgrade.

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Can you move the docked magnifier around on the screen?

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Yes.

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Thank you so much for clearing that up for me!  I was really freaked out!  :)

The problem now is that I can't copy files from the C: drive and to the D: drive.  It's asking for administrator permission!  This is my computer!  I'm the administrator!  Can you tell me what to do so I can copy those files?  If you can give me a clear "step by step" procedure, things will go smoothly.  :)

The message I got when trying to COPY some files was:

"You need to provide administrator permission to copy this file." 

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
You didn't try to move them again, did you? You cannot move all of your files from C. Your programs need to be uninstalled first and then installed on the other drive. If you want to move your C partition (the one with Windows) to a different disk you'll have to physically disconnect your disks and use special commands from system repair disk and/or Windows original install DVD on theory but it's a long thing to do and i haven't really done it myself. The other way is a complete clean install with losing all files that were not backed up. There are many hidden files, folders and files that are hidden 2 levels (critical system operating files), even giving administrator permission will not allow you to move them. And in case you somehow succeed in this your system might become unbootable.

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

There are some personal files that my wife saved on the C drive, that should've been save to the D drive.  I plan to do the standard upgrade first... and then later on, a clean install.  I don't plan to touch the Windows folder.  And I don't plan to MOVE anything.  I just want to COPY the files so they'll be backed up.  Windows 10 will overwrite Windows 8.1.  I just wanted to know how I can get the administrator permission the system is asking for so I can copy the files on the C drive.

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Please tell me the location(s) of these files.

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

I'm not sure what I should attempt to copy and what I should leave alone.

I was told not to copy the Windows folder.  But some of the stuff below that folder looks like it shouldn't be copied either.  I don't know.

On the C drive....

Recycle Bin
Boot
Documents and Settings
Frst
Program Files
Program File (x86)
Program Data
Refreshomages
RegBackup
System Volume Information
System.sav
TempDump
Users

Windows

Bootmgr
BOOTNXT
hiberfile.sys
pagefile.sys
Reflect_Install.log
swapfile.sys

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
You can't simply copy any of these folders. You can copy for example content of C:\(your username here)\Documents, Pictures, Downloads, Favorites (if you need to restore them after clean install), Music, Videos and any other folder here that you have explicitly created (doesn't include folders that are here and you didn't created them (like AppData)). These are the only things that you will want to move to D:\ or other before clean install. Everything else will be reinstalled. Tell me if you think there are other important things to you in C:\. Also, there might be a OneDrive folder there, check it.

Please download DelFix from HERE to your Desktop. Select only the "Remove disinfection tools" checkbox and run it. When finished you can delete the file.

Edited by MystiqueWolf, 06 July 2016 - 04:37 PM.

Advertisements

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Hello Goggleplex,

Do you still require help? If so please reply.

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

I'm on the other thread now.  I'm quite absent minded these days so I didn't even remember there were 2 threads.  :(  If you read my original post here, you know that I'm working at a huge disadvantage.  As far as I can tell, here's where I'm at, regarding the Win 10 install.

*I have a thumb drive, (about 30GB), ready to accept data... and an external drive, (1TB), also ready for action.

*I have anASUStek X-79 DELUX mobo, and I'd like to get the Win 10 drivers to save in a folder before I start the Win 10 install process but when I went to the page someone from support at PUGET SYSTEMS, (where I bought the computer), gave me the address for, <https://www.asus.com...pDesk_Download/>, I was lost!  :(

I also would like to get the driver for my GPU, (TITAN BLACK 6GB), and save it as well... so I'll have both things ready to run after the install of Win 10.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do next.  On YouTube, somebody suggested an easier way to get "ALMOST" a clean install of Win 10.  According to him, the effect is almost the same as an actual clean install of the new OS.  PUGET looked at his process and said it looked "good."   

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

OK, I'm back on this old thread.  So many posts, different threads and different forums... In addition to my Asperger's, I'm very absent minded.  I can still function but it takes a lot of effort.  I'm gonna attempt the Win 10 upgrade but first I need to backup whatever's on the C: drive besides the Win 8.1 OS.  I think I'd like to put that data on my 1TB external drive... or my 30GB thumb drive.  I'm not sure which is best.  What I need is a clear "step by step" on how to download the new OS to installation media, and then how to start the install. 

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Hi there again. This is the link to the driver for your GPU for Windows 10 64 bit. The link for your Asus motherboard is THIS one. Don't worry that much, your PC has new parts which have created drivers by the companies behind them, WIndows Update should take care of the drivers, but if you want you can install these drivers once you upgrade. I've watched the video, it's a mix of upgrade and reset. Reset is basically a clean install, the difference with the real clean install is just the fact that some things like rootkits, file system errors and some other issues might survive a reset. You don't have to worry about this, This will be good for you

Now i have some questions for you, please answer them one by one. Some time ago you said that you were going to use CrashPlan to backup files to your external hard drive (or it was the USB?), have you did this or not? Have you fixed the error with your disk working with SleepyDude? Is the hard drive formatted with NTFS now and is it blank? Is your USB blank? I will post more about this tomorrow.

Please press the Press the Windows_Key.png + E button combination in order ro to open the "This PC" screen with details about your partitions. Please post a screenshot from it while you have attached both the external hard drive and the USB.

Please download Speccy from HERE and install it. Then, run Speccy and wait for about 2 minutes till it analyzes your system. Then click on "FIle" -> "Publish Snapshot" -> click on "Yes". Copy the link to the snapshot in your clipboard and paste the link inside your next post. You are free to uninstall the program through Control Panel after that.

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

The external drive is fixed.  I formatted it over again, and this time I used NTFS file system.  :) 

Everything has changed... as of yesterday!  :)  We gathered some money together and paid someone to install Windows 10 for me.  The odds were to great for my having a disaster!  So much of the process is new to me... and I can't see my way out of a see-through plastic bag!  And with only a few days left before the deadline, I hadda take emergency action!

I have Speccy... and I will give you the screenshot but right now I have bigger problems!  Windows 10 installed fine.  I put color in the title bars, (donno why they would ever take that away), but, SURPRISE!  I can't search for ANY files or folders.  The only way I can find anything is to use File Explorer.  That takes forever!!!!!  Do you know how I can get Win 10 to find files and folders etc.?  I hear it's a bad update?  I donno.  :(  When I try to search, it just comes up with the same few files, (that have nothing to do with what I'm looking for).  :)