Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC shows blank screen; is unresponsive (Resolved).

Blank screen unresponsive

Best Answer wayneman50 , 10 August 2016 - 07:13 AM

Hi: My friend has not given me any indication as to when he might work on my PC. Fortunately, the problem has not reoccurred. I would like to keep this issue open, but if you feel that you need to... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

wayneman50

wayneman50

• PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
Please see my previous topic "Trouble booting PC after power goes out". To summarize that topic, my PC had taken a few hits where the power was cut off. The solution was that a l attached the PC to a battery back up which would also shut down the PC if the battery ran out. I am having the same symptoms today that I had at that time before I installed the battery back up.

I had no problems for about a year. A couple days ago I installed windows 10. Yesterday I shut down the PC then brought it up a few hours later. It gave me a choice of users HP administrator or my own account. I picked my account. The desktop was not the one for my account. I switch back-and-forth between users a couple times and finally got the right desktop for my account. Everything seemed fine. This morning I find that my PC has a blank screen and is unresponsive to the Mouse or keyboard. I swaped the monitor with a different one and it was still blank. I also tried another keyboard. What do you suggest I do at this point?
Thank you

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Long time no hear wayneman50  :wave:

Can you post the model name or number of the computer + let us know the following;

Do you get anything at all on the screen, a HP logo for example.

Does the HDD activity LED blink at all.

Have you tried booting from the original recovery media.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Long time no hear wayneman50 :wave:...Yes, Cyberdyne Systems Model 101. :)

Can you post the model name or number of the computer....HP p6650z

let us know the following;

Do you get anything at all on the screen, a HP logo for example....nothing at all

Does the HDD activity LED blink at all....Where is that?

Have you tried booting from the original recovery media...I don't know how to do that.

Thanks for your speedy response.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
I did a Google and all I could find was rebuilding the C Drive from the recovery disks. Nothing about booting from recovery disks.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
I think I found the hard drive LED. It's on the front of the PC. It is not blinking.
After clicking the mouse a bunch of times and pressing keys on the keyboard a bunch of times and plugging and unplugging the USB cables, I finally got the screen to display. The PC is responding but it is extremely sluggish. Right now there are four jobs running called device set up. It states "installing device… Please wait while set up installs necessary files on your system. This may take several minutes." It does not say what device there are four of these running so I imagine it is the four USB cables I have plugged in: : battery backup, backup drive, mouse, keyboard.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
I'm going for the windows shut down rather than turning the power off and possibly causing more corruption. Don't know if I'll succeed but I'm going to try. Make sense?

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
I somehow got the PC to do a restart and it was working like normal. Then I did a shut down.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello wayneman50, 

Sorry to be a pain but I may not be around until Saturday AM due to other commitments  :(

If you can do without the computer please leave it off for now or if already running leave it in stand-by and post back with an update to let us know the state of play.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
No problem. The PC is at least five years old and I believe at the end of its expected life. Do you agree that it's probably time for a new one? My plan is to buy a new PC. After I get the new one set up, I will hopefully be able to boot up the old one and pull anything off of there that I might have missed I would appreciate your assistance at that time if I I am having difficulty. Does that sound like a plan? I guess it would take me a couple weeks to buy the new PC and get it up and running.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not sure if the PC is ready for retirement just yet and once I have a few hrs available today or in the morning we can take a closer look at this.

Regarding a new PC, depends on the intended use as to whether or not it is less expensive to build your own or purchase another brand name.

Got to head back to work shortly and will catch up asap, thank you for your patience btw  :thumbsup:

Advertisements

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
Ok. One of the reasons I thought I needed a new PC even before this problem happened was that the software that came with my camera is sluggish.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Camera software should not really impact a computers performance that much and not at all if the computer specs match or exceed any recommendations made by the cameras software provider.

The problem that you had may have been caused by a loose connection, memory stick or add on video card if one is being used, before making any suggestion/s we need a little more info.

The HP p6650z was available in different configurations so we need to know what your build contains;

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
I was thinking that we should try to run some kind of diagnostic on start up since were not even sure that the PC will boot up properly.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
Regarding the camera software, I spoke to the manufacturer. They said that I just met the minimum requirements and that would explain why their software was sluggish. They suggested I upgrade for better performance.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
I would like to do the F9 diagnostic. Any objections?