Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC shows blank screen; is unresponsive (Resolved).

Blank screen unresponsive

Best Answer wayneman50 , 10 August 2016 - 07:13 AM

Hi: My friend has not given me any indication as to when he might work on my PC. Fortunately, the problem has not reoccurred. I would like to keep this issue open, but if you feel that you need to... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

F9 diagnostic showed everything passed: hard drive, CPU, etc.

PC is now responsive and acting normally, but of course we should try to find out why it failed the other day.

http://speccy.pirifo...vtzw7gnhQOyCfSE

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

As said in my reply #12 the problem could be a loose connection or add on card, the only way to check is to open up the computer, are you ok with working inside the computer, I will post the necessary safety precautions that you should follow first but only when we know that you are comfortable with it.

Couple of things I noted in Speccy that may or do affect performance and security issues, PandaUSBVaccine, how long have you had this installed, I ask about this because you are using a USB type keyboard and the software runs on start up, was wondering if it could possibly be causing a temporary blip.

Windows Update
AutoUpdate: Not configured This should be set to automatically check for and install all important updates.

Windows Defender
Windows Defender: Enabled
Antivirus
Windows Defender
Antivirus: Enabled
Virus Signature Database: Up to date
avast! Antivirus
Antivirus: Disabled
Virus Signature Database: Up to date You should not have Avast installed if you are using Windows Defender as the latter is basically Microsoft Security Essentials and will conflict with third party AV software **(see below)

Scheduler
6/11/2016 3:08 PM;: Adobe Flash Player Updater
6/11/2016 3:16 PM;: DropboxUpdateTaskMachineUA
6/11/2016 6:52 PM;: HPCeeScheduleForWAYNE
6/11/2016 7:16 PM;: DropboxUpdateTaskMachineCore
** 6/12/2016 12:16 AM;: SafeZone scheduled Autoupdate 1458724433 This is related to Avast Safe Zone browser which I suspect you did not knowingly install and therefore not aware that it automatically searches for updates.
CCleanerSkipUAC
PandaUSBVaccine
SidebarExecute

There is room for you to upgrade but before making any suggestions can you tell us what the requirements are for your camera software, I suspect that upgrading the RAM, the add on video card and worse case scenario the PSU will be enough.

Tip

Please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last post, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page. 

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Responses below…

As said in my reply #12 the problem could be a loose connection or add on card, the only way to check is to open up the computer, are you ok with working inside the computer, I will post the necessary safety precautions that you should follow first but only when we know that you are comfortable with it….Please post the precautions and instructions. If I can’t do it, I have a friend who repairs PC’s for a living.

Couple of things I noted in Speccy that may or do affect performance and security issues, PandaUSBVaccine, how long have you had this installed, I ask about this because you are using a USB type keyboard and the software runs on start up, was wondering if it could possibly be causing a temporary blip….I’ve had it for years. A geeks to go staff member recommended it to help prevent viruses from hopping onto flash drives.

Windows Update

AutoUpdate: Not configured This should be set to automatically check for and install all important updates.

…I am confused by Speccy's report on Updates. Windows settings show automatic updates (see attached).

Windows Defender

Windows Defender: Enabled

Antivirus

Windows Defender

Antivirus: Enabled

Virus Signature Database: Up to date

avast! Antivirus

Antivirus: Disabled

Virus Signature Database: Up to date You should not have Avast….I would choose Avast over Defender.  installed if you are using Windows Defender as the latter is basically Microsoft Security Essentials and will conflict with third party AV software **(see below)…I am confused by Speccy's report on Defender. If I try to run Defender, the message states that it’s turned off (see attached). It doesn’t give me an option to turn it on even if I wanted to. Windows Defender settings are grayed out.

Scheduler

6/11/2016 3:08 PM;: Adobe Flash Player Updater

6/11/2016 3:16 PM;: DropboxUpdateTaskMachineUA

6/11/2016 6:52 PM;: HPCeeScheduleForWAYNE

6/11/2016 7:16 PM;: DropboxUpdateTaskMachineCore

** 6/12/2016 12:16 AM;: SafeZone scheduled Autoupdate 1458724433 This is related to Avast Safe Zone browser which I suspect you did not knowingly install and therefore not aware that it automatically searches for updates….I think I did knowingly install Safe Zone but frankly never used it. Do you know how to remove it? It’s not in Add/Remove Programs.

CCleanerSkipUAC

PandaUSBVaccine

SidebarExecute

There is room for you to upgrade but before making any suggestions can you tell us what the requirements are for your camera software, I suspect that upgrading the RAM, the add on video card and worse case scenario the PSU will be enough….Requirements are attached.

Tip

Please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last post, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page…..Understood. 

•  

Attached Thumbnails

• Windows Updates screen shot.PNG
  • Windows Defender screen shot.PNG
  • Camera software system requirements.PNG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Please post the precautions and instructions

Post below for clarity.

Panda info acknowledged, it is a good safety tool and the only reason that I asked about it was to see if it was a recent install, obviously not and so not the cause.

Regarding the updates and Defender, trust what you see as Speccy has it wrong for one reason or another, Defender has done its job by disabling itself once Avast was detected.

How to uninstall or remove Avast SafeZone Browser?

With the exception of your CPU not being the Intel brand your hardware meets or exceeds the minimum requirements stated in the screenshot so not sure why the manufacturer has told you otherwise.

The following is my canned text for spring cleaning the inside of the case, the procedures are both the same in this instance;

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions, 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket, press the power on button to get rid of any residual charge in the system, remove the side of the case, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.

Remove the video card, blow out the slot and re-seat the card securely, do the same with the memory sticks, clean all internal fans, if you use canned compressed air do not let any fan spin freely as this can damage them, use something like a clean lollipop stick to hold the fan still.                                                                              
Ensure that all internal connections are secure and that there are no loose components, write down the PSU details (make and model) re-assemble the computer, boot up and see how it goes.

Just a cautionary note - if you do use canned compressed air do not upend the can as it is possible for fluid to be emitted.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Re camera software, I misspoke. The Canon rep said I just met the specs, and recommended I exceed them for better performance.

I successfully uninstalled SafeZone.

Please give me a couple weeks to find the right time to ask my friend the favor, then see when he can work on it.

Thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No problem and thanks for the update wayneman50  :thumbsup:

You are welcome btw  :)

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

My friend volunteered to work on my PC. Now it's a question of when.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Phase one complete then and phase two in abeyance  :)

Thanks for the update btw  :thumbsup:

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Hi: Still waiting for a date for my friend to work on my PC.

My camera software is still sluggish. A reminder that Canon said that my PC only MEETS the requirements, and suggested that I exceed them. Can you look at my previous post with the requirements, and make recommendations? Thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hi there,

Use the Crucial system scanner tool here to find the best recommended Ram for your system, no need to purchase from there, write down the details, let us know what is suggested and we can take a look for you. 

Advertisements

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Is this what you need to see?

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Go to the Compatible Memory tab, click on the View more compatible memory upgrades option where among the list of choice you will find the example here

Please note that while the RAM is guaranteed to be compatible or your money back due to your CPU specs showing Supported memory: DDR2-1066, DDR3-1333 the 1600MHz RAM will most likely only run at 1333MHz.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

There are 20 results. Is this what you wanted to see?

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Aye, that is the RAM you should purchase should you decide to upgrade.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you wayneman50, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.