Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Linksys pains.

• Please log in to reply

Hawker

Hawker

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
sigh....i have stayed up many hours trying to figure this out for myself, but i give up. i have done everything i can think of to fix this problem

we have a (new, old B just died) wireless G router, and i have a gateway laptop, SP2 winxp. I can connect to the network i set up, and to the router, but i dont get internet at all....as of right now, i am using a faint signal from a neighbor to type this....they have the same router, and i picked up on it (they dont mind :tazz: ) anyways, on my desktop (which is infected with smitfraud.....) i have to repair the wireless connection, and do the ipconfig /release /renew trick in dos....that gets me online. if anyone has any suggestions, i am open to them!

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Ok, I assume the connection you are getting to your router is the ping 192.168.?.? test and entering that IP into your browser to get the web interface. That is good that you get connection to that, but have you tried pinging the external (WAN) interface of your router? If you can ping that, just try to ping google.com. If that does work, you should have internet. If that doesn't work, try to ping 216.239.37.99 If that works, then you have a DNS issue. If that doesn't work, go into the web interface of your router, go to the tab at the top labeled "status", then click the release and renew buttons on that for your router. It should give you information there as to what your external interface is. Please post back with what you find out.

Greazy Mcgeezy

Rico750

Rico750

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
And make sure your wep key is correct, Re enter it or take it off just for a sec to test it.

Greets

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Just a thought also, (has nothing to do with the wireless issue), once you finally get connected again, MAKE SURE that you go to the Malware Forum to help you get the smitfraud problem taken care of. There is plenty of information already there about that one, but I recommend starting your own thread and having a Malware Expert help you clean up your system. Please read the instructions at the top of the page before posting.

Greazy Mcgeezy

Hawker

Hawker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
My modem's ip is 192.168.1.254 (westell wirespeed POS.....) and linksys default is 192.168.1.1....

the thing that sucks right now, is that i can see my network in the available networks list, but i cant connect to it. when i CAN connect to it, i can access both my modem and my router, and change things, but i still have no internet. i dumbed the modem down to be only a modem, because the westells come configured as router/modem in one. i can also use the tracert/ping function in the modem to reach sites....not REACH them, but i can ping them.

right now, when i try ipconfig /release/renew it says my media is disconnected....Im not connected to the network, ergo there is no IP to release renew.... right now, i need to be able to connect to my network again to try pinging the external WAN, because i dont get jack right now.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Ok, try this, plug the cable from modem to router into one of the regular ports instead of the WAN. You will probably have to have a crossover cable to do this. Configure your modem to be a modem/router, let it get it's IP address of 192.168.1.254. Then, your switch's IP address is 192.168.1.1, but that doesn' t matter. Just make sure every device has a 192.168.1.? IP address and the Default gateway is set to 192.168.1.254, same as DNS. Try that and see what happens.

Greazy Mcgeezy

Hawker

Hawker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
i feel like a moron...lol....i had my network connection set to shared, instead of open...and for some reason, i can connect to the net.....for now. i have this feeling that it is going to drop again, but oh well. thanks for the help, i may need more later...so i will put off making a crossover cable for now :tazz: i was about to go nuts a minute ago looking for my wire crimper....