Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM question

• Please log in to reply

gray786

gray786

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
this might be a stupid question but i am interested in buying some ram for my laptop. right now my laptop has 512 megs of ram. there are 2 slots on my laptop and right now there are 2 sticks of 256 meg. now i was looking online for some ram and i found this http://www.crucial.c...s&WSPN=CT431870
if i have that 1 gig stick and keep a 256 meg stick in the laptop. would my computer run normally because of the difference in ram stick sizes? or do i want to keep the ram the same size like 2 sticks of 512 megs which cost more then the 1 gig stick. so basically what in asking is would it be ok to have a 1 gig stick and a 256 meg stick working together? thanx

laptop specs acer 1804, 3.2 GHZ HT, 100 gig hard drive, ATI mobility X600 128 meg pci:e, 512 DDR ram, wide screen.

Advertisements

gray786

gray786

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
this is what it says in the manual but im not sure what it means

"Note: Dual-channel memory requires symmetrical memory modules using the same density (e.g. 256MB, 512MB), bus width (e.g. x8, x16) and granule technology (e.g. 256M-bit, 512M-bit)"

if anyone can clarify that for a noob it would be much appreciated.

gray786

gray786

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
heres some more info i found on the web

this is off of crucial.com
http://www.crucial.c...eries&submit=Go

System Type
Laptop/Notebook
Maximum Memory
2048MB
Standard Memory
512MB removable
Slots/Banks
2 (2 banks of 1)

Crucial recommends this 200-pin SODIMM DDR PC2700 module guaranteed to be compatible with your system and deliver the performance you need.