Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

wireless networking aggravation

• Please log in to reply

chimpyboy

chimpyboy

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Ok, there are a few topics similar to my problem, but not exactly, so here goes:

I have 2 computers I want to share files. One PC, one laptop.

The PC is wired to a wireless router.

The laptop came w/ a built in wireless card, which has detected my router and can get online.

However, I cannot seem to share files between the two. For a while I couldn't even get them to see each other on the network.

I've progressed a bit, here is where it stands now:

The laptop can see itself and the PC on the network, but cannot access any shared folders on the PC.
The PC can see the network, but tells me I don't have permission to access it.

So....any ideas?

PS: both are running WinXP service pack 2, and the PC has Norton Firewall installed.

Edited by chimpyboy, 16 June 2005 - 12:17 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
did you go through the network set up wizard? if you did did you make a network setup disk?

chimpyboy

chimpyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I did run the setup wizard on both machines, but didn't make a disc.

Does this matter? I always thought that the disc was only needed if one of the machines was not running XP.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you've run the network setup wizard then most likely the problem is with your various firewalls. Check the firewall logs to see what they are blocking, you may need to enable logging first, and set the trusted range of IPs to include the ones the router assigns. :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i assumed that you didnt need the network setup disk on 2 xp machines as well...but the last time i tried to make a peer to peer with xp i had to use it....it may have just been me

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Sometimes it takes awhile for the new systems on a network to register. I am using my home system at work for a while, and when I would swap nets all the time, there would be alittle lag in what systems showed up in Network Places. It might just be normal lag, so connect a few times and then hit refresh. That's what worked for me.

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Make sure that you have the "Client for Microsoft Networks" installed on all machines on your network. Then, on the advanced properties for each adapter, go ahead and click the radio button that indicates "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP". Then check your network places. Also, be sure that your machines are on the same Workgroup.

Greazy Mcgeezy