Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tried to install new graphics card, ran into problems (Solved)

Best Answer philbert2501 , 20 June 2016 - 02:37 PM

I seem to have figured it out. I kept poking around and saw that the SATA emulation setting was set to RAID. I don't know much about it but I thought RAID was just for making two drives run as a si... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

philbert2501

philbert2501

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

After asking here and receiving help with determining if my PSU would be able to handle it, I purchased a new graphics card to replace one that quit working after a few years of use. I opened the case, removed the old card, put in the new one, put it back together and turned the computer on. I saw the HP logo screen, heard a single beep, and then nothing on the screen. Some googling indicated that I needed to disable slot security for the PCIe slot, so I put in a different card (not the one that quit working, I used an older card which I know works with this computer) and did so. Now the computer will not boot; when I press the power button, I get nothing on the screen (not even the HP logo) and the fan(I think it's just the case fan, but it might be the heatsink instead/as well, it's kind of hard to tell) blows very loudly, much more so than it ever has during regular operation. If left alone, the computer will shut off after a couple of minutes, start back up again, and do the same thing. This is all happening with the older card, which worked with it just fine until I turned off slot security. What do I need to do to get it working again, and how can I make it work with the new graphics card?

Some stuff that I think might be relevant:

• The computer is a prebuilt HP h8-1380t 
  • the motherboard is a Pegatron IPIWB-PB
  • the card I was trying to install was an EVGA GeForce GT 730 (this one)

I would greatly appreciate any help I can get, this has turned out to be a much bigger headache than I expected. I should probably build my next computer so I can learn more about this stuff in the process.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Do you hear any beeps or see the power led blink when you first turn it on?

Open it up and look at the MoBo.  Are there any lights on it? 

You might try setting the BIOS to default.  Sometimes there is a jumper to move but usually you can just remove the 3.3 v battery for a few minutes.   Wait just found a keyboard procedure to do it:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-HPE-h8-Desktop-PC-series/5258496/model/5261722/document/bph04760/ 

Are you sure you seated the new card completely?  Sometimes they get cocked and short out the MoBo. 

philbert2501

philbert2501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Do you hear any beeps or see the power led blink when you first turn it on?

Open it up and look at the MoBo.  Are there any lights on it? 

You might try setting the BIOS to default.  Sometimes there is a jumper to move but usually you can just remove the 3.3 v battery for a few minutes.   Wait just found a keyboard procedure to do it:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-HPE-h8-Desktop-PC-series/5258496/model/5261722/document/bph04760/ 

Are you sure you seated the new card completely?  Sometimes they get cocked and short out the MoBo. 

I don't see any lights on the mobo. A couple of the first few times I heard one beep, then one other time I heard six long beeps, but it stopped doing that and was just doing what I described in the first post. I pulled the battery and put it back, and now I can get stuff on my screen so that's good. But initially there's a screen listing my drives that disappears quickly, though I managed to take a pic with my tablet. I'll include it at the bottom here, though I don't know if that's helpful. I've never seen it before, but now it's coming up before the HP logo screen every time.

So now what's happening is it goes through the above mentioned screen, then the logo screen, and then Windows 10 starts up, but instead of letting me login, I get a blue screen with a frowny face saying I've got an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error. It restarts, goes through something similar, but when the windows logo and spinning circle of dots comes up, it has the words "Starting Automatic Repair" at the bottom, then goes to another blue frowny face screen, but this time the error is WDF_VIOLATION. Then it restarts continuously like that in a loop, sometimes with the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error, sometimes with the other one. I don't know what that could be, and I don't know what to try next.

from startup.jpg

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Can you get into the Configuration Utility?  There might be something you can change in there to bring it back.  Perhaps the boot order or something under SATA

philbert2501

philbert2501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Can you get into the Configuration Utility?  There might be something you can change in there to bring it back.  Perhaps the boot order or something under SATA

Here's a pic of the boot order menu. I don't see a problem, but I don't know if I would recognize one. 

boot_order.jpg

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Your Hard drives are listed under Legacy Boot Sources.  I would think if this were a Win 10 it would be under UEFI or is this an upgrade from Win 7?

Click on Advanced, post the picture, and let's see what options you have.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Hope you don't mind me chippingin.

I pulled the battery and put it back,

When you started the computerafter replacing the battery, did you enter the BIOS (setup) and set the time and date?   Then go to the exit Menu and select, "Default" setting, Save, then click Yes or OK. ?

philbert2501

philbert2501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Your Hard drives are listed under Legacy Boot Sources.  I would think if this were a Win 10 it would be under UEFI or is this an upgrade from Win 7?

Click on Advanced, post the picture, and let's see what options you have.

Yes, this is indeed an upgrade from Win7. 

Here's the pic:

advanced.jpg

philbert2501

philbert2501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Hope you don't mind me chippingin.

I pulled the battery and put it back,

When you started the computerafter replacing the battery, did you enter the BIOS (setup) and set the time and date?   Then go to the exit Menu and select, "Default" setting, Save, then click Yes or OK. ?

I had not done that, but I just did so and it doesn't seem to have changed anything.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

What's under Storage?

Advertisements

philbert2501

philbert2501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

storage menu:

storage menu.jpg

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Let's look at device configuration

philbert2501

philbert2501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

device configuration:

device configuration.jpg

Here's what I get when I press Enter on the system drive:

system drive info.jpg

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Looks OK.  Can you get a FRST log?

http://www.geekstogo...l/#entry2151691

philbert2501

philbert2501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Looks OK.  Can you get a FRST log?

http://www.geekstogo...l/#entry2151691

I tried, and I got the screen below. I'm supposed to just place the file on the flash drive and boot to it, right?

n.jpg